Monetization

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ThreadbareConnor, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Do like repulze does, come out with new tracks for a buck or two. $5-$10 bucks is probably too much, do smaller micro expansions for $1 or $2, then people won't mind, and more people would be likely to purchase them.

2. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #22 klink, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    I'm probably the exception because I don't mind paying for quality content. Sometimes free sort if devalues a game for me. I paid $2.99 for Small World, Ticket to Ride, Infinity Blade 2 and Star Command. I love all four of those games and they were worth every penny and more.

Apples App Store is really hard to figure out. It's flooded with so much quality content (also terrible content) it's really hard to stick out. The guys who did Star Command sure did a good job generating publicity. They were unknown and had completely new IC and look at the buzz they created. Maybe it was dumb luck since they got on early with kick-starter.

Sorry I don't mean to ramble on. :). I really respect that you guys are in it to create great games. I hope that also allows you to have a decent living.

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I think one of the best ways to go is to release a premium game for free, and give the player a decent chunk to play so they can get a solid feel for the game. King Turn does this and than charges $4.99 for the game. The lower the price to unlock the full game, the more people will buy obviously. But if you do this, I strongly suggest you make it very clear perhaps even at the top of the description that this is a premium game you're essentially trying out.

There's a slightly different way you could do it. Deep Dungeons of Doom or DDD does it where probably around half the game is fully playable and satisfying, could be viewed as a full game almost, but there are a couple dungeons or "expansions" that they charge for at I think $1.99 each. I think they did a great job overall with that monetization strategy, built into the game design.

It's a good sign that you are taking this seriously as I feel it's really important and should e taken seriously. Unfortunately it has to be taken as serious as the overall game design so that it doesn't ruin the game. But thats the nature of the beast. I plan on being involved in game design and it's one of the first things I've taken note of to at least pay for making said game.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I seem to recall that Gameloft did the "Download for free, get to play a trial version, then unlock the full version" with Star Conflict and some game that was an open world fantasy game (something Ayden I believe) and it was a disaster. The games were good but the buying in game was slow and had awful sync issues. I bought the full version unlock but deleted the app, and when I went to go play it again I couldn't get to the paid version. They also ended up releasing full premium versions if this game

5. ThreadbareConnor

ThreadbareConnor Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Associate Producer
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts guys they mean a ton to us. I like the idea of the core game being free and paying for more content when you want.

If you have an iPad please pm me so that I can send you a promo code for our game. We still have about 20 to give out before the next round of them comes through.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love the old fashioned 'shareware' type concept, reminds me of the classic PC years.

Let me download the game for free, give me 3 levels, if i love it as i can test it out properly i can then buy an IAP to unlock the rest. I dont care if the downloads huge and i can only play a few levels.

I support devs by buying games early early early but its frustrating when you hear about people waiting for price drops/games to go free as that doesnt help the war against freemium !

But then you get devs who drop the place a few days later so i start to think 'i may as well not buy on release day....'.

A few years back in iOS it seemed the 'shareware' model was used tons, now of course theres the dreaded freemium. Still think sadly we're a minority as its sickening seeing how popular the freemium games are, the masses seem to sadly love them

7. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA

I'm just curious do you know if anyone provides a service to help small indie developers create a business and marketing plan? Is there a need for this type of service?

8. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Offering a lite version so I can try a game before I buy it is the most appealing model to me. Microtransactions within the game are fine so long as they were added for lazy mode and not factored into how the game is balanced.

9. ThreadbareConnor

Jun 7, 2013
    Associate Producer
    Oakland, CA
    Good to know! Thanks for your thoughts. Pm me if you want a code for our game :)

10. ThreadbareConnor

Jun 7, 2013
    Associate Producer
    Oakland, CA
    Based off of a 30 second Google search, yes there are hundreds. Paying for them is for chumps though. Especially when there are so many great communities full of mature gamers who are happy to give their opinion on almost anything.
    If we wanted a focus group we could get one. I prefer to make real connections with people and just ask them strait up what they want, and then give it to them.

11. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I totally understand. There goes my idea for a service. Someday I would really like to be involved in the gaming industry however I'm never going to be a proficient coder and I'm not artistic. There are some many great games out there that don't get noticed. It seems like there needs to be a better way to match up gamers (and non-gamers) with great games.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Here is my ideal use of IAPs in games!

Most iOS games should start off as FREE crippled demos of the full game with a reasonably priced IAP to unlock the full game.

If later on the developer wants to add a big chunk of content, like new characters, levels, or game modes, I'm all for grabbing permanent additions via IAP.

Stuff that chaffs my hide are many of the cheesy bilking freemium tricks like consumable IAPs. Stuff like one time use power-ups or mandatory time-outs unless the player pays to bypass them make one feel like they don't own a game, but are merely leasing it. Even though many such games allow the player to earn cash for most of it's items in-game, odds are it would take MANY sessions just to earn one use of some lower tiered power-up for one single session. Even better, I love cases where you finally give, pay the real cash for this disposable item only to get interrupted by real life. Good luck trying to get your friend to reimburse you for the IAP he just forced you to waste because of his call. :rolleyes:

13. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I agree with this strategy. Consumable IAP items really cloud the water. Instead of focusing on how to advance in a game by skill and strategy you're thinking about how to get the most bang for your buck with IAP. I also don't think developers should be on the hook to provide free updates for an indefinite period of time.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Fixes and improvements of the game should always be free but whether new content is free or not I leave at the discretion of the developer. One of I think the best compromises to big thematic chunks of new content is to add at least one of the cool new features, even if in a somewhat limited way, as a freely added bit to the core game, but you'll need to pay for the whole package.

Oh, a great example of this can be seen in Stair Dismount. With every new thematic level pack ONE of the levels is provided freely to the players. If you want to see more of these classic video game inspired levels you'll need to buy the pack.

Another decent preview system is what they do in the Zen Pinball games. You are free to try out any of the many tables but if you want to play far enough into a table to see more of its features in action and track your high score, you'll need to pay up.

15. ThreadbareConnor

Jun 7, 2013
    Associate Producer
    Oakland, CA
    Sound like you would be a great producer!

16. ThreadbareConnor

Jun 7, 2013
    Associate Producer
    Oakland, CA
    Have you tried making it free for a week. Shifts was $2 and got about 2k downloads. Then, we went free for a week and got 15k downloads, which is what made us think an expansion was in order. Good to see a fellow Dev in the thread. :)

17. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I must be in the minority. I hate demos. I like to read about the games, make an informed decision and straight up PAY for it.

18. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I'm not a big demo person either. I like to purchase something and play it through to the end. Otherwise it's a like giant buffet where you sample a little of everything but you don't really enjoy anything.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I don't mind IAP as long as it isn't consumable or required content to make a game enjoyable/playable. I don't like aggressive up selling in my games, content in selection menus I have to buy, things that look selectable but prompt for purchase. I tend to prefer a lite version for demoing purposes rather than an IAP full game unlock.

20. ThreadbareConnor

Jun 7, 2013
    Associate Producer
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the thoughts guys! I think I see a trend in what people are looking for.