Unity PS4,Vita support

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by M.O., Mar 23, 2013.

1. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Thought this was interesting, I wonder if Sony is going to become more indie friendly in the future.
    unity

2. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    They have to or they risk going the way of Sega.

3. Sony has always been indie-friendly compared to Nintendo and Microsoft IMO. Imagine where devs like ThatGameCompany would be without Sony's help. The Vita in particular is slowly shaping up into an indie powerhouse this year.

Great news about Unity, but there aren't many Unity games yet that I want to play on a Sony system...

4. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    It's great news! The Wii U is also going to receive Unity support later this year. Hopefully, 3DS will be the next console on Unity's impressive list of supported platforms.
    I just wish both Sony and Nintendo would reduce the licensing fees to publish on their portable systems.

5. opsive

opsive Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Honestly I don't see this as that big of a deal for us normal indies. The price of the dev console and license fees are going to be out of reach anyways. Unity has always been able to port to the consoles, and this announcement is just keeping Unity up to date with the latest console generation. I expect we'll see a similar announcement for the next Xbox and Unity.

6. Sony does have a PS Mobile program with lower barriers to entry, but that seems to be mostly a failure so far.

7. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    Yes, Sony has always been indie-friendly compared to Nintendo and Microsoft, but that doesn't make them indie friendly, just less unfriendly. There are a great many steps they could take. The PC style architecture of the PS4 is the first of hopefully many steps they are taking.

Many Unity games are not announced as Unity games. Pro licence holders do not need to display a Unity splash screen, so there is no way of knowing if the developer doesn't say. You may already be playing Unity games without knowing.

8. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    It will be interesting to see what the future holds, especially if valve decides to put out "the steam box". I wonder if that would force Sony and Microsoft to possible try something different, such as lowering there licensing fees, or waiving the fee for someone with a unique game that they think would fit well on their platform.

9. GameHopping

GameHopping Active Member