Short but sweet iOS games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mr_bez, Nov 15, 2014.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    There's been a lot of debate about some of the short, high-quality games out there this week. There's no need to reignite the debate about value or length here, as we've all heard it several times, but I'm interested to know what games like this people have enjoyed. I love to dive into something like this on a long train journey.

I've listed a few below with approximate times for a first playthrough, although I'd say that all of them bear repeated playthroughs.

Positive opinions only please. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it! :)

Monument Valley (main game approx 90 mins, Forgotten Shores expansion approx 90 mins)

Space Expedition:Classic Adventure (approx 60 mins)

Framed (approx 90 mins)

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Not as short, but games you kinda wish there was more coz theyre fantastic.

The Room 1 & 2
    Dodo Master
    Lost Echo

3. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Knightmare Tower

4. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Device 6. I forgot how long but it was amazing

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    The Last Rocket - I know you already played this one Bez, The Last Rocket is about as short and sweet as they come (one of the achievements is to beat the game in under 12 minutes!)

SHAARK+ - A nice little speed running ''flapformer'' by Rusty Moyher, before flapping was cool. There's also a free version.

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Kiwanuka (short, sweet but pretty neat)

7. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    #7 copaeci, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Agree I just want to say that..
    Haunt the house: Terrortown (about 45 minutes or less)
    Spirits of Spring (3 hours or less)
    Chronology

8. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    What's that Japanese picture-book game called? *one google search later* Tengami!

Also bought Home in that Halloween sale, and it's only about an hour or two long.

9. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    #9 mr_bez, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Ironic that you mention Device 6. I've had it for several months an still haven't made it to the end!

It does remind me that Blackbar belongs on the list though: another unique, text-driven piece of interactive storytelling.

Thanks for the other suggestions too, guys. There's several I've played before, but a few others that I may need to reconsider.

10. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
  11. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
  12. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Definintly recommend it. Though look up what the ending means. It may be a bit confusing.

13. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Nice, I'll have to check those out. I vaguely remember "TA plays" doing a bit on SHAARK+ but I never got around to playing it. The Last Rocket doesn't ring a bell though. Btw, I enjoyed A Ride Into The Mountains but never finished it. I really think you'd like it, Andy.

+1 for these:

EP - Dodo Master and The Room 1&2
    Fangbone - Knightmare Tower
    sinagog - Tengami and Home: A Unique Horror Adventure

I'll add Leo's Fortune to the list.

Nice thread mr_bez!

14. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Savant - Ascent.

15. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Last Rocket is excellent. Have since tried SHAARK! and I'm impressed with that too. I'd put both in the same group of games as the excellent Duke Dashington.

All three are great as a standalone game, but there's a lot of additional challenge in replaying for faster/more perfect runs.

16. I'm trying to learn iOS development and have been tinkering around small games. What do you think brings you back to these small games? Just the leaderboards? Just trying to get the high score? Do you guys care about iOS achievements at all?

I'm still in learning mode and don't expect to make anything good for a while. You can find some of my stuff at http://meganegora.tumblr.com