What are the different types of RPGs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Fruho, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    #1 Fruho, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    When the term RPG is used, it encompasses a vast number of games. There are many sub-divisions of RPGs-action based, turn based, SRPGs, Chinese RPGs, Korean RPGs, Japanese RPGs, and so forth. Could someone break it down for me-what are all the different types of RPGs, and what are their advantages/disadvantages? What are your favorite types of RPGs? Thanks for your help

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
  3. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

You really don't know their differences or are you doing a survey or something? :confused:

4. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    No I honestly don't know the dif between a JRPG and an SRPG

5. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Umm SRPG = Strategy RPG
    JRPG = Japanese RPG

6. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    to be honest you seem to know enough of the names.

7. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    #7 Bdragonst, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    JRPGs

Zelda, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon series, Mario RPG, etc.... Console games that are known and loved by billions of people all over the world

KRPGs

mobile games like Zenonia and Inotia, and bunch MMORPGs on PC.... some of their games sucks, some are good, some are plain ripoff from mainstream RPGs, some of their MMORPGs are very addicting and competitive.. loved by people obsessed with MMORPGs....

-------------------------------------------------------------

This is just my definition of JRPGs and KRPGs...

8. Spocket

Spocket Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    You speak like this should be common knowledge. Which it is definitely not, at least in the majority of the world outside of Asia.

9. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Wikipedia.org :rolleyes:
    Anyways here explanations of the other ones:
    True Turn-based RPG: RPGs like Final Fantasy and Legend of Sword and Fairy 1, can include or exclude walking around or dialogue; take turns fighting, involves much more planning and strategy than action RPGs
    Semi Turn-based RPG: I'm not exactly sure of the origin of this type but the only games I know that uses this system is Legend of Sword and Fairy 3 and 4; depending on the speed stat, whoever's icon reaches the end of the time bar will get to action, higher speed stat = takes shorter to reach the end of the time bar, so if you're extremely fast, you get to act like 3 times before the enemy can even act once
    Chinese RPG: RPGs that focus in the background story, mythical elements and/or based on existing historical novels or classics, as well as popular for their extremely moving storyline and music; very little emphasis on graphics and gameplay fine-tuning (many hot hits have numerous bugs in them that no one cares), so it probably only appeals to Asian gamers who play the game for the storyline rather than action
    Korean RPG: Similar to Japanese RPGs but more emphasis on grinding I suppose, I'm not familiar with Korean single-player RPGs, but their MMORPGs are infamous for the heavy grind
    Japanese RPG: RPGs that focus on the graphics and gameplay mechanics, sometimes in the story as well but clearly much less significant than Chinese RPGs; more well-known in the western world than Chinese RPGs due to marketing and their tendency to use characters who have a western appearance (blonde hair, English names, etc), and much less history/story to analyze

10. Bdragonst

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    Can you give me couple of names for good Chinese RPGs?? wanna try em out :eek:

11. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Due to little or no marketing outside of China currently I don't think any Chinese RPGs have English patches. If you can read Chinese then check these out:
    仙剑奇侠传98 (Legend of Sword and Fairy 1998 Edition) - The best turn-based CRPG of all time
    仙剑奇侠传3-4 (Legend of Sword and Fairy 3 and 4) - Continuation of the 1998 game, they are semi-turn based RPGs
    轩辕剑 (Xuanyuan Sword), 剑侠情缘 (Jianxiaqingyuan) are both very moving RPGs, though in my opinion not as moving as Legend of Sword and Fairy 1998 Edition.
    I'd suggest starting with Legend of Sword and Fairy 1998 Edition if you don't mind the low-res graphics (very advanced for 1995 when it came out though).

12. Bdragonst

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    thanks!! looks like there is english patch when i searched on google ;) lol

13. Narziss

Narziss Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2009
    This is what that yahoo answers page says:

Japanese or Console Style RPGs are games like Final Fantasy and your typical leveling and turn based RPG.

Western or PC Style RPGs are games like The Elder Scrolls series, Neverwinter Nights, and games like that. These games tend to have different leveling schemes such as progression through actions, talent trees, or one's like that of pen and paper games.

Strategy RPGs are things like Final Fantasy Tactics, or Disgaea. These games can be pretty varied in their execution but the main thing is that they're sort of like super chess.

Action RPGs are quite clearly RPGs with a large focus on action such as Secret of Mana, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and games of that nature. Again these can be quite broad.

"Dungeon Crawlers" are sort of their own hybrid of action RPGs and PC style RPGs. Diablo is the game that best defines these games. You wade through throngs of monsters with a ridiculously powerful character for the sole purpose of pushing forward in the game and collecting better loot.

"Rogue-like RPGs" are an old school RPG style that has been coming back lately. In these games you go through a dungeon sort of like you would in a dungeon crawler only for every action you take, the monsters and NPCs in the dungeon also make an action. This includes games like Izuna, Torneko the Last Hope, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

There's also online and massively multiplayer online (more than 1000 simultaneous players) version of all of these. These would be ORPGs or MMORPGs.