What movement method is preferred by the player?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by AxelF, May 13, 2009.

?

What kind of player movement do you prefer?

1. virtual joystick is the way to go

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. using the accelerometer for movement is great

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. AxelF

AxelF Active Member

Hi,

I'm currently in the development of an 3D game with some kind of a ISO bird view. The main char can be moved in the environment - but I'm not sure how to implement the character movement.
    I checked several other games and most of them simulate some kind of virtual joystick in the left, bottom corner of the screen. Initially I planned to do the movement with the accelerometer, so a pitch to left = character moves left, pitch to the right = character moves right and so on. In fact thats the way my game is working now.
    But after revisiting a lot of gameplay movies from similiar games I'm not sure anymore that this is the way to go.

What do you think - is it more comfortable to hold the phone like a handheld console using some kind of virtual joystick or is the accelerometer a good alternative?

Axel

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    It totally depends on the game, but if you are controlling a character and have to control with any precision, a virtual joystick is the way to go.

3. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    There are some games that have both control schemes and I personally think it's better for different types of players (versatility is always great of course).

I personally play on ipod touch because I'm tired of playing with buttons/keyboard and mouse, so I like the accelerometer; though I can understand some people are just wired (muscle memory) for buttons and such (like I have to play competitive FPS with keyboard and mouse, I can't play with joystick and I think it's lame :p).

So...it'd be nice to have both if you have the development time frame (or willingness).

If you're making a top down like Alien Shooter (PC) game I'd prefer accelerometer IMO. Plus for those types of games you can always use the screen space to see what's coming.

Just my 2 cents.