Testing - Older version of iOS

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BlueSpiral, May 11, 2011.

1. #1 BlueSpiral, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
    Hi,

Just have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

1)My game "Stacword", I currently have a Lite version available that requires iOS 4.0 or higher. In on screen testing it works on the iPad 3.2. How much difference would it make to sales if I resubmitted my game and make it 3.2 or higher instead? Do most people have 4.0 anyway?

2) Is their a way to load iOS 3.2 onto my iPod Touch so that I can test it on an actual device. My iPod touch currently has 4.3.1 on it. Although it works with the on screen testing, I'd feel much more comfortable if I could check in out on and actual device. If it's not easy to do, how many people have released games based only on it working in the simulator. I'm fairly certain their's nothing in my code that would affect things ........ but as we all know, you should never assume anything.

Thanks

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    3.2 is exclusive to the ipad 3.1.3 is the latest 3.x os for iphone/ipod touches..

if your ipod touch is a retina device you cant downgrade anway as faar as i know.. so your stuck with 4.x

as faar as older devices with older iOS goes.. well if you don't support them you might get a few single bad reviews.. but if you state it clearly that you need at least iOS x.x in youre description you should be save.

i'm still a bit baffled that apple still allows older devices to buy higher iOS version apps.

as for testing..forget the simulator. you need to test on the device.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    As far as I know, there's no way to downgrade to a previous version of iOS because Apple has stopped digitally signing those firmware versions....unless you saved the signature beforehand with TinyUmbrella.

Also, 4.2.1 is the last iOS version for 1g and 2g iPod Touches (including the 8 gig "3rd generation" iPod Touch). Apple has dropped support for 1st and 2nd generation devices.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well i recently downgraded an iphone3g from 4.01 to 3.1.3 without a hitch. you need some windows tools (no jailbreak) but the phone works and is my 3.x testing device now.

5. I've only had my iPod touch a few months. This would explain why I couldn't find anything about downgrading.

Thanks very much for the response.

6. I looking at buying an iPad mainly for development and testing purposes. If I buy an iPad2. I'm thinking it will be iOs 4.2 and not 3.2 for testing?

7. Thanks for the response. Very much appreciated.

8. Thanks for the response, appreciate it!

9. Big Ideas

Big Ideas Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    MD of Instant Games. Designer of Instant Hero.
    London
    We keep a few devices locked at older OS's just to make sure it'll run on 'em. Not a very practical solution, but you'd be AMAZED how many people never update their firmware. Personally, I always strive to make our games work on as many units as possible.