How to start developing apps?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TitanT30, Apr 6, 2009.

1. TitanT30

TitanT30 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Alright I want to get into developing applications and games for the iPhone as a hobby and I wanted to know how to get started.

So I am here to ask the professionals here. How did you get started to get familiar with the code and what did you do to learn to code? Did you read books, online tutorials, or what?

Thank you. :)

2. Schenk Studios

Schenk Studios Well-Known Member

3. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Spot on :p

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Or you can take the Standford course which starts on 1 April. No joke, it is available for free over iTunes.

5. TitanT30

TitanT30 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    I heard that it requires the knowledge of Objective-C. Does that book help you understand that also?

6. Schenk Studios

The book doesn't talk specifically about Obj-C. I think you're best bet for getting a grasp on Obj-C is by watching the first couple of Stanford Vids.

7. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I've been thinking about starting developing as well, would a used mac mini off ebay probably do the trick? I also would need help with learning how to code, so continue to post links:D

8. Schenk Studios

As long as it's an Intel mac mini (circa 2006 or more recent) and it either has leopard installed or you install it, then it'll do just hunky dory.

9. ImperfectSense

Apr 3, 2009
    Or if you're REALLY short on $$$ (like me) you can get a Dell Mini 9 netbook and install a retail copy of OSX on it, everything is 100% functional no problem :D Now I can code (and answer forum posts) while lying on the couch!

10. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Speaking of lying on the couch, I do a lot of my stuff in bed with my macilum :p