Supermagical (Now Freemium)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by APPolicious, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Because its not paid to win that's what matters and why bring up IB why not bring up moderen combat 4 or FIFA. Making a paid game go freemeium is bad news look at everplay and how much flak that got for it. You may not think its that way but someone will.

2. Kikekun

Kikekun Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    In our case, people that paid 0.99$ for our game got 10.000 in game coins PLUS the Unisheep pet (which is pretty expensive within the game too right now). On the freemium version, new players do not get anything extra compared to paid users.

So at the end of day, paid users got a fair amount of Dollars worth of IAP for free. And that was 6 months ago...

Oh, and this is not a pay to win game at all.

3. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Bought it eons ago but haven't played it for ages too. Didn't even know it went freemium. I presume the 'bonus' for paid players comes from direct upgrading to the version that went freemium then? And it doesn't work for new installs? <--Normally the case when apps goes from paid to freemium. But let me know if this is different, would be interested.

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I've been preaching about that exact problem for a long time.

5. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    If the devs can do manual checking (troublesome for them and consumers too) or apple implement some kind of system to check the app's purchase date etc then maybe this issue can be solved. Who knows...

6. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    I love devs who argue with customers, always a good move. Also love when devs change what people originally paid for, then act like they did nothing unethical, because they give them in game currency or a some other crap. Sorry dev, it's unethical and essentially stealing, but justify it however you need to in order to feel good about yourself. Plus everyone else is doing it, and that's always a good excuse , heck my kids used it when they were 4 or 5 as well.

7. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Looks like an easy pass just based on file size. Heck I don't have Infinity Blade on my iPhone right now and I paid for it. Sometimes it's just hard having these huge games. I need to finish Gesundheit so I can delete it because it's so big.

8. ImmorTa

ImmorTa Active Member

Jan 26, 2013
    I just bought this game not so long ago, but I haven't install it on my devices yet, will I still get my 10,000 coins and unisheep pet when I install it?

9. Kikekun

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    Ok, our Programmer told me that if you install the game you will be installing the latest free to play version, so no premium rewards, sorry. BUT, you can return the game to Apple, get your Dollar back and download the free version later if you want to.
    If that does not work, the only thing in our hands we can possibly do is to give you Supermagical's Original Soundtrack album, iTunes version, just as compensation.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you and sorry for the inconveniences.

10. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Doubt it will happen. The appstore isn't geared towards customers like us; proven by the fact that the ios appstore crashes on 6.X when I try loading "previous purchases". Most people buy a few apps, keep a few on their devices, and that's that. As for me (and many TA members), I buy apps both on my PC and on my devices, oftentimes not installing them for a year after I purchased them because of a lack of free space. We have thousands of apps; we have to delete apps we aren't done with to make space, etc.

When Apple created the appstore Steve Jobs wasn't even completely sold on the idea of native apps. And iTunes has never been reworked to keep our app purchases as safe from screwups as music (or videos, books, etc.).

Then you have all the things that were somewhat hurriedly tacked on to ios because devs were using work arounds to implement them (in-app payments, multiplayer and leaderboards, in-app advertisements, etc) and we have the current state of the appstore: still a bit like the wild west with rules enforced sporadically and no clear set of proper practices.

11. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Lol, do you know anything about Apple's refund policy? You MIGHT be able to get a refund if you contact Apple the day after a purchase. Beyond that, it's on you, the developer. And if you had to contact your coding team, then you obviously have no clue how the appstore works.

12. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    My wag of the finger goes to the developer nice knowing how the AppStore works.

13. Kikekun

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    Well, sorry I don't know how the App Store works. ImmorTa's has the old version of the game already downloaded and will install/synchronize from that one, so he'll get the premium rewards anyways. Later on he can update the game to 2.0 if he wishes to.

Geez, guys, sorry for making good games on iOS. I'm not a greedy guy smoking a cigar on an office penthouse, just an indie dev barely making ends meet. We just wanted to make the best game ever on iOS and help users with problems on this forums, but omg, so much hate in the air...
    We even offered to give that user Supermagical's soundtrack for free as compensation.

No worries, after our fourth game (in the works) we are out of mobile development. We simply do not understand users.

14. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    1. It was $1, if you didn't get your $1 worth of good out of it by now, you never wanted to play the game anyhow. I hope you get this upset every time you go to the bathroom and realize the $15-$20+ worth of food and drink you shoveled in your face the day before is already gone with nothing to show for it. Nothing is permanent, the sooner you figure that out and accept it, the sooner you can stop getting your blood pressure up over a $1 game that hasn't had a change since last September.

2. It's still the same game with some additional features and options when you install it now as it was when you paid $1 for it, where exactly did they steal anything?

3. In spite of the game only costing $1 AND still giving exactly the same things you got on a clean install as it ever did, if you happen to have it installed when this update hit, they give you 18K worth of goodies for the "inconvenience". Of course, if you've played the game any significant amount of time, you probably already have the Unisheep (I did) and already know that the 10K coins you're busting a hemorrhoid over is what you earn in a day or two playing the game on the john.

So, yeah, I'd argue too with people who denigrate me on utterly baseless garbage.

15. Kikekun

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    [​IMG]

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I reinstalled this a couple days before the update and didn't get the unisheep... Or any coins... I did get the original coins that they gave out, but right now, after playing through the first two sisters, I have 17k coins.

So it sounds like I didn't get any of the 'special' anything that people were suppose to get of they had the game already installed...

Is there anything I can do about this?

17. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    So they are giving people who have it something they ALREADY have?

Don't get me wrong its a great game but freemeium is not the way to go. I bought this day one but adding iap isn't gonna get you anywhere. And arguing about IB's file size isn't either. Its a 1$ why make anything 99 cents a freemeium based game now? Dark medow and the famous everplay game those are ones that got flak for doing this so why continue to this road?

18. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Probably because the game didn't sell enough? Jeez, tough crowd today. Games go freemium all the time. Jetpack Joyride, Temple Run, Don't Run with a Plasma Sword, Blot, etc. etc. Basically, all games with a virtual currency system have a high risk of going freemium after a while.

About the size: yeah, that's a problem for me too, and it's not true that other big games don't get those complaints. I even had to delete Crazy Hedgy, which is my favorite iOS game of all time, due to size constraints. It's a shame, but I know many people have this "problem". It's much easier to give a game a chance if you don't first have to delete 5 or more other games in order to install it. That's not a complaint BTW, it's just how it is.

19. Kikekun

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    Sure, but with so many iOS devices right now, if you want to support as many as you can on a universal app, it's gonna cost you in size...
    Maybe we should have done an specific iPad version instead of going universal on a game so big as this one, but it's too late for that now...

@syntheticvoid : If you re-installed the game, that means you have played it before?
    Just want to clarify, we are not giving the pet and 10K coins on this new update to the users who paid previously, you already had those two things if you paid for the game before today and played it. New users do NOT get the pet and the 10K coins.
    The free Unisheep is on the first shop of the game, but you have to "buy it" in order to get it. It cost 0 coins on the old version.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes... I already played it before... As you could probably tell from this thread back when it was first released...

I guess I missed out on the unisheep before upgrading then? Because I see it now and it says that it's 8k. I did have the game installed again before the update...but didn't check out the stores unless I had to to progress because of the last time I played and getting stuck with not enough coins to buy the item I needed to progress (which is when I just wound up uninstalling it the first time)...

Anyway... Thanks for the response...