What do you think of the Apple TV remote for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Spore Productions, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Spore Productions

Spore Productions Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Game Developer
    Toronto
    I finally had a hand at the new Apple TV today. I don't find it all that great, though maybe it depends on the type of game. I made a bunch of assumptions, so many some of you can clarify or dispell them:

1. It appears you can only use the controller in vertical orientation? I was holding it horizontally, like an NES gamepad. I was surprised there was no button on the "right side" in this orientation.

2. The fact that the touch area is also a clickable button is neat but seems problematic. Won't there be accidental clicks in the heat of an action game? Won't the button eventually wear out to where it's more easily accidentally clicking?

3. IT FEELS LAGGY! Was this my imagination? I tried rotating the view of a spaceship in one of the game demos and it would only respond about a second after I swiped. Same with Crossy Road. Pressing the button seemed to jump my character forward quickly, but swiping to move was laggy.

4. I couldn't get the MFI controller (I think it was a Horipad) to work, so I couldn't try it. Is it as laggy??

5. I played Geometry Wars 3. I could move but shooting was automatic only? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I appreciate everyone's input.

2. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Absolutely hate the remote as a controller. It just doesn't work. Apple should have bundled a regular game pad with the TV like Amazon did with the new Kindle Fire TV.