Universal Zen Pinball - by Zen Studios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sun Vulcan, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)

1. Sorcerer's Lair

48.0%
  2. Wolverine

23.0%
  3. Captain America

16.4%
  4. Don't like any of them

12.5%
  1. reec0X

reec0X Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Computer Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    King Arthur is join the table!...

2. WonderingIf

WonderingIf Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Kid herding
    In an alternate reality
    I know I'm late to this party, but I'm thoroughly enjoying Zen, which I bought about a week ago. I have been a fan of the video pinball games since I got an iPhone (about 3 years ago now!). I have almost all of the GameProm tables (also a very good pinball), Age of Pinballs (I like these because they are "old-school" tables), and Zen is definitely one of the best.

I currently have the Captain America table, and I am eagerly awaiting Excalibur. I used to play it on my really old Mac back in the 90s. It was a very fun table.
    Two tiny questions for the Zen aficionados:
    1) Which table is best to buy next, in your collective opinions?
    2) Is it just me, or does the Captain America table take a really long time between "ball out" and letting you play the next ball (while the purple-hooded man walks out and looks around in the corner)? This seems to interrupt the action. It goes very slow. Could it be a bug?

Anyway, I look forward to any opinions and info. Thanks in advance!

3. haj

haj Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    1) all of them! they are all good.
    2) I don't think it's a bug. Yes, it's too long and I want it to be quicker.

4. GordLacey

GordLacey Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    WonderingIf, sorry to tell you this, but the Excalibur table coming to Zen Pinball, and the one you used to play in the 90s aren't the same. The Mac game you played was from LittleWing, and it's very different from the Zen table.

Guys, for those wondering how people keep getting insane scores on Sorcerer's Lair, you should read this:
    http://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?t=3843

Looks as though there's a bug which allows unlimited points. Very sad to hear those high scores probably aren't legit.

5. WonderingIf

WonderingIf Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Kid herding
    In an alternate reality
    GordLacey: thanks for info on the upcoming Excalibur table. I will miss that old Little Wing table, but Zen is much fun, I'm sure that I can find a place in my heart for the new one, too. :)

Haj: thanks for your opinion on the tables. I agree that they all look good. I'm a long time comic book fan, and it's great getting to play on tables that feature some of my favorite superheroes. Like others have said, I am hoping for a Spider-Man table. Also, if they keep with the Marvel comics themes, I'd love to see a Silver Surfer table, or even an X-Men table! Hey, I can dream, right?:D

6. gootch12

gootch12 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    #346 gootch12, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    A bit of good news.

From an administrator on zen studios' forum:

"Excalibur should be out tomorrow."

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    There already are X-Men and Spider-Man tables, just not yet on iOS. I can't remember if the Surfer has one or not.

Excalibur is great, but I thought we were getting Epic Quest...

8. jeffy777

jeffy777 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Little Wing is actually bringing that table to iOS too:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=117210

9. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

The new Excalibur table can now be purchased via IAP within the app. The table is still listed with a "Coming Soon" banner, but when you click on the icon, the app store IAP pop-up box appears with a price of $0.99. It downloads, installs and plays perfectly!

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks for letting us know ! Just bought it and about to play it, cheers

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Good find, Czar! I'm downloading it now. For 99 cents I figured why not.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Been a good Wensday so far, with Caverns of Minos and now this!

Hoping Tesla is the next table! :D

13. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    I second that, just went and downloaded it....nice table !

I like how it's not quite as crowded as some of the other table in the app.....Sorcerer's Lair is still probably my favorite, but I like this one a lot.

14. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    Right on, I was hoping this would be one of the tables to come to iOS since I haven't bought this one for 360 yet.

15. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    I know a lot of people say that playing pinball just isn't the same without real buttons....but I think once you get used to playing it on the iPad it's really better.....you can see what's going on much better since it's closer to your face :D

16. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Anybody else having issues with it asking you to login to your iTunes account for no reason?

17. jeffy777

Oct 31, 2010
    That is a good point, especially for someone as nearsighted as me, haha....

I do enjoy playing on the PC with my X-arcade Tankstick, since it has pinball buttons on the side, but the iPad definitely has at least one advantage like you pointed out.

18. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    that would be me... least I don't have re-download the tables, though.

19. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Excalibur is another great table! Three flippers in the main playfield, again lots of long ramps and crazy events. Love the complicated catapult mechanics and the tiny switches in the side out lanes below—you think you'll lose the ball but then they switch very fast and the ball is inside again. Hard to describe. Never seen before.

Here some screenshots from iPad 2. Main view:

[​IMG]

Launcher at the right side with some boss watching your skills. Sometimes he will stop your ball with his stick:

[​IMG]

Mini pinball game top left:

[​IMG]

Top right:

[​IMG]

Another event below left:

[​IMG]

20. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Any chance of some patching to fix the stuttering? I only have the free table, but especially when you have multi ball it can get pretty stuttery. That's on an iPad 2 running 5.0.1 with a fresh reboot/clearing of memory to make sure nothing else is running.

Inconsistent frame-rate is a deal killer for me in pinball games. I'm a Pinball FX/2 addict and wouldn't mind some on-the-go action. Not at the moment, though. Shame. :)