New games for iOS4 - Game Center or OpenFeint or both?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Acceleroto, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Acceleroto

Acceleroto Well-Known Member

Hey everybody-

I'm putting the finishing touches on a universal game that'll launch in December. The rumors say iOS4.2 will be out in November, so the vast majority of the devices out there will be able to run an OS with Game Center. Granted, there are still lots of devices that will be running 3.x.

For 3.x devices, I plan on using OpenFeint. For iOS4 devices, I'm currently using Game Center through OpenFeint, so your scores & achievements get sent to both places - and you can access either set of leaderboard/achievements from within the game. It'd be cleaner to support only Game Center for iOS4 devices and OpenFeint for 3.x devices though (less pop-ups, menu buttons, etc).

If you had your choice, would you want your iOS4.x iPhone, iPod or iPad to use OpenFeint and Game Center simultaneously OR just Game Center?

Whatcha think?

2. bob_wocky

bob_wocky Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Personally, I only care about Game Center and most of my friends are the same.

3. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Software dealings-with-er, Illustrator
    Central NC
    Personally I really dig Game Center for its simplicity, although both would more than likely satisfy more users IMO.

4. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Drop OF, although I got an email from them today about new stuff...

5. Acceleroto

Thanks for the thoughts guys. There's no local score/achievement saving in GC like there is in OF - so if you're playing without an internet connection, those scores don't get submitted. I treat that as a "must have" feature - thoughts on that?

6. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Game Developer @ Ezone.com
    Perth, Australia
    We have decided to go Game Center only. We love Plus+, but having one set of scoreboards/achievements will make it simpler for the end user (and us the developer!).

7. Acceleroto

Are you still running Plus+ for 3.x devices?

8. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

The thing about OF for me is that its C++ (last time I used it), its huge (file size wise), it takes up a shitton of memory annnnddd its not as awesome as GC.

9. Acceleroto

Ok, how about this....suppose you play the game when you have OS 3.x and rack up some leaderboard/achievement stuff on OpenFeint. Then you decide to update to iOS4.2. Bam - no more OF? Pissed that you lose your stuff?

10. ezone

ezone Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Game Developer @ Ezone.com
    Perth, Australia
    All future updates will be GC for 4.x and just local high scores for 3.x.

But to be honest, we are thinking of dropping support for 3.x soon. It is getting too confusing keeping track of all the permutations, and being a two man outfit we need to maximise use of our time.

11. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Drop support for OF all together.

12. Acceleroto

Very good point. Supporting 4.x, I already need AT LEAST 4 iPads to do the required testing for each release...and 4 iPhones/iPods. AT LEAST!

There are still a big number of people running 3.x though. Some devices can never support 4.x. Tradeoffs.

13. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I agree, but there are A LOT of people on 3.0

14. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
  15. Acceleroto

I can see dropping 3.x support for new products though. Coding all the contingencies for each OS definitely adds to the development time, cost & pain. That won't make those users happy, but then again...I can't find many new games these days for my 286 running MS-DOS. :D

16. Acceleroto

17. noelbernie

noelbernie Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I don't care about OpenFeint,
    Game Center is better and future proof IMHO.
    Apple will add new features for it in iOS5 and so on.

18. Acceleroto

What is it about GC that you like over OF? Is it the built-in nature of it? Not having to know another login? Something else? Thanks!

19. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    OP misspelled Game Center. Not your fault. :D

20. Acceleroto

Oh that's funny. I didn't catch that the first time I read it. This thread lives on!