Universal N.Y.Zombies 2 (By Foursaken Media)[Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hen14, Oct 24, 2012.

1. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    I know right!! Another thing that really bothers me, to the point where I'll be skipping this game, is having to barricade yourself when we all know zombies can't open doors. Totally unrealistic game this is

2. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Before you say anything give it a chance. It'll all come together very soon for you.

3. scott99

scott99 Active Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I'm a huge Left 4 Dead fan, and NYZ 1 reminded me of that type of game despite not having freedom of movement. NYZ 2 reminds me of Left 4 Dead even more, different types of zombies, etc. This will be an instabuy for me regardless of my concerns I stated. That being said, I have yet to find a zombie game on iOS that gives me that exact feeling of being scared like L4D. The first Doom did it for me in the 1990's, Resident Evil did it for me in the mid to late 90's, Doom III did it for me in the mid 2000's, and L4D did it for me in the late 2000's. That feeling of dread while playing a video game, feeling of pure fear (come to think of it, that game Fear did it too, lol), its just a wonderful feeling of not knowing what's gonna jump out next. Unlike people here, I liked Dead Trigger, but it's still missing what L4D has. Hopefully this will have what those legandarily scary games had.

4. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    If your looking for it to scare you straight it's not the right game for you. If your looking for a challenge then buy it. This game makes you actually think and decide which weapons are good for that level. I beta tested the game and I think I had to use a different combination of weapons to beat each level. There's no one way to do it. It's what works for you at that time. You have to manage your reloads and switch out weapons while 30 zombies are on your tale. This game has so much depth to it and is a absolute must have. I'm not receiving a promo code for this and will be buying in 3 hours, but I've been gaming on the ios since day one and there's not to many games that challenge me like this one does.

5. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    #85 Maniacfive, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    Instabuy, loved the first one. Really looking forward to this one.

And icloud! You guys are great, im unsure about the ipad controls at the moment, nice to see i wont be wasting time if i swap to the iphone.

Edit: iPad controls definitely need work IMO. i appreciate its supposed to be a challenging game, but to turn quickly requires dragging my whole finger across the screen, swiping with my thumb doesn't turn quick enough and becomes a frantic swipe fest. And dragging my finger across the whole ipad screen just isn't comfortable. Especially when you have <SPOILERS> in the air, <SPOILERS> on the ground, zombies all around, and moronic <spoilers> getting in the way. :D

The sensitivity need s a 'very high' option :)

6. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

We'll check into adding a higher option! Also, did you know you can 180 degree turn instantly by double tapping the move stick? This is an invaluable skill! Also, there is no friendly fire :p

7. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    #87 Maniacfive, Oct 25, 2012
    That, is VERY handy to know ;) and I did not know about that with the move stick, thanks.

Gotta say. This looks so pretty on the iPad 3, you've really excelled yourselves.

Edit: Last question of the night before bed. How is the icloud save data supposed to work, it only seems to pop up randomly. For instance, picked up my iphone, didn't get the pop up, went back to ipad, did get a pop up, and it overworte my game back to 0%, presumably from the iphone. (Not a big deal, to quote a phrase, "i was rubbish anyway".) but, yeah, im confused as to why it didn't pop up on the iphone.

8. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    To the dev,

Please can you tell me why zombies can walk through eachother? This kind of really kills it for me. Where's the basic collision detection sir?

9. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

I'll have to double check with our programmer and get back to you on exactly how our iCloud syncing works... we set it up so it should be impossible to overwrite with a game with that has less gameplay, so if what you said occurred that is definitely not what is supposed to happen!

1. There are some things we plan on adding to help mitigate this, and in most instances it should be mostly minor clipping, but quite simply the lack of collision accuracy is a product of having the amount of enemies we have. Most other shooters have only a few enemies on screen at once... NYZ2 can have near 30 or so... having advanced collisions on this many dynamic objects wasn't very feasible. But like I said, we are working on some clever solutions for this.

2. this is a glitch that should be cleaned up soon!

3. with a level 1 pistol it is 3 shots to blow their heads off. This is a conscious game-play decision we made in order to keep a sense of progression. A few levels to your pistol and you can headshot zombies with 1 shot just fine. Your character, equipment, and skill progression is an important part of NYZ2, and we didn't want people walking around owning zombies with a lvl 1 pistol. And just FYI, you cannot kill zombies (or even blow their heads off), with a level 1 pistol in one shot in Dead Trigger either...

4. it is only tap to shoot from the hip... this represents a more inaccurate, but quick "frenzied" style of shooting, as it would be in real life shooting from the hip. This type of "fast reaction" shooting is absolutely necessary in a game like NYZ2 where hordes of enemies will be assaulting you from every direction.

5. If that's reason not to get a game, I'll have to concede that one :p

6. Ragdoll physics are not common at all on mobile games. It is an expensive process that can only be done in games that have a few enemies on screen at any given time, and only in rare, uncommon instances at that. NYZ2 can have as many as 20-30 enemies at once, vs say Dead Trigger which doesn't really have more than 5-6...

7. I'll just have to disagree with that one :p

Never-the-less, thanks for the input! I hope you'll give it a shot and decide for yourself :)

10. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I'm not going to comment on the other stuff becuase I haven't got the game yet, but I will say that afaic tapping the screen to shoot the zombies feels more "realistic" than moving around to aim a reticle stuck to the center of the screen. To me, thats a carryover from another type of tech (console controllers or PC mouse) that doesn't really take advantage of the touchscreens capabilities. You tap the screen where you want to aim your shot, and the accuracy depends on the physical accuracy of your taps. Its more difficult when the target you are trying to shoot is farther away. I don't know, just feels right to me. I liked it in NYZ1...

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #91 JBRUU, Oct 25, 2012
    I'm picking up the game when it hits the US store, I've heard to many good things about it from nearly all of my TA buddies.

But ragdoll physics only occurring when there are a few enemies onscreen? Well I'd agree with you on Dead Trigger; there are rarely more than 6-10 zombies onscreen, but NOVA 3 will occasionally have 20+ npcs and enemies combined onscreen, with ragdoll (albeit a little low end) physics. Are you speaking of a hardware limitation or engine and time constraints? I have no problem with ragdoll not being present in NY Zombies 2, but I'm a little curious as to what you just said.

Edit: are you guys using shader effects for the gun or real shadow/light casting? Either way it looked really good.

12. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Nah, this isn't for me. I appreciate the developers' ambition, and I can see how some people will love it, but while I thought Dead Trigger was/is wildly over-rated Madfinger's control scheme was infinitely more fluid, responsive and natural from my point of view. Movement here is slow, awkward and sluggish in comparison, certainly on an iTouch 4G, and getting swarmed instantly by countless enemies while painstakingly swiping the view around to deal with them all one... by... one... is just far too irritating for me to want to continue. (EDIT: Yes, I know about the 180 degree turn, it doesn't really help when you've got ten enemies clustered all around you, along the vertical as well as the horizontal.) Not to mention the obvious visual compromises to develop a game of this scope on limited hardware means it looks like a forgotten PC shooter from fifteen, twenty years ago.

Again, I can see why people will enjoy it - lots to do, undead to kill, hugely ambitious for a mobile game, RPG elements and so on. There's clearly a lot of work in this even if it doesn't scratch any of my itches, and I don't begrudge wasting a little pocket change on it. But it just doesn't grab me, or offer any reason why I should continue playing - maybe it makes me sound shallow, but if the production values and the basic experience of play don't live up to the competition as far as I'm concerned, then I don't really care so much about the rest of it. (Same sort of reason why I'd never buy another Kemco RPG, for example.) I shan't hang around this thread or anything, don't worry, but if the developers want to know why someone would choose not to play their game, well... there you go. Maybe it'll be useful.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I think you will be missing out big time. And $2 is the price of a king sized candy bar...

14. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Well NOVA 3 also lagged like hell so...

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    What device are you on? When I turned off retina on my iPad 3 it ran at a fairly stable 30-45 FPS depending on the level and enemies onscreen.

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Well now, what a mess this is. Not really sure where to start, and not all that keen on wasting more of my time so how about the highlights:

Everything in the world (not just the zombies) appears to clip through everything else. You can be fighting a zombie in a doorway and click to "barricade" the doorway. Right through the zombie standing there. Who will continue to happily fight away.

No option to move the buttons around on the iPad, making it all but unplayable on that device.

Consumable IAP. Died? No problem. Just buy a health pack via a convenient pop-up menu and carry on. This puts the entire difficulty balancing under question for mine and I simply want none of it.

Deleted, one-starred, and will be requesting a refund.

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes and considering you troll nearly every thread you visit with posts like this I shall withhold judgement until I actually play the game. Downloading now.

18. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA

So True, Fastbridge.

I have been playing iOS games since the beginning and this game is one of the most challenging game I've ever played and hardest. that's what I like about it. It is a thinking man's game. Trying to find the right combination of weapons and deciding which weapon to upgrade. It may not be as pretty as Dead Trigger ( a game that I really like for asthetic reasons) but as far as planning strategies and gameplay. This game is better and a must buy for any zombie fan.

For the member that said zombies can't break down barricades, lol. Of course they can. They do it in all zombie games. they might not be intelligent but they have brute strength and eventually break down all barricades.

Getting back to the game, it really is a lot of fun, for 2 bucks, you won't get a better deal.

19. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    It's out in the us AppStore, can't wait to play

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Thanks EightBrooks... can't please everyone :)