Beats headphones.....

05-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Beats headphones.....

OK, so personally, I hate them. Not so much because I don't like the sound - which I find middle of the road - but because the folks who buy them are really buying into marketing.

But besides that, one of my best friends who was a engineer at HP for 30 years told me that in a magazine for sound professionals, he read that the actual cost of parts to make Beats headphones is $14 - $34 based on model. Add in Chinese labor, and you have the manufacturing cost.

Now, I don't claim to be a sound engineer, but for 30+ years I have been a DJ, and for 19 years I worked in TV, running sound for the news. And I can tell you this, I own a set of Sony headphones that costs $49 that blow the Beats out of the water. Even the TV station used Sony Studio headsets that cost about $100.

Granted, Beats does look a whole lot better, but is it really worth all that extra money to look cool?

I will also admit, that I have fallen for the hype before.... I have a few BOSE products that I overpaid for...... but the one thing about Bose is the awesome customer service. I have had a few things go wrong with my Bose products, but Bose has never charged me a dime to fix anything.

I wonder if Dr. Dre will spot you the cash for any repair bills?
05-16-2014, 10:17 PM
I like Sony X10's alot better. But to each it's own

05-16-2014, 11:52 PM
I'm pretty sure half the people with Beats knows that it's not quality. From those I've talked with them, it's mainly for the look. Personally I'd rather a nice pair of Sennheisers but we all have our reasons.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
05-17-2014, 06:39 AM
If you asked me ten years ago I'd have said yes, I knew I was paying more for the brand, not the quality so much, but I was young and wanted to be cool.
If you ask me now I'll say no way. I have a set of so y headphones that cost 50 quid but I had a half price voucher so on,y paid 25 and I really love them,
05-17-2014, 10:14 AM
I agree

They are not anything that special. Everyone gets them instead of Sony's or Logitech because Dr.Dre "made" them. I know he did not make them but he represents them I guess you would say. Since Dr.Dre made them, Beats headphones have more "swag".

I could use some Marshalls though, hehe

Mason Rogers
05-17-2014, 11:26 AM
It's like Skullcandy, you're paying for the label. Sound quality is average at best.
05-19-2014, 04:44 PM
I'd say invest in the best set of Sennheisers/Sonys that you can easily afford (and won't be too upset when you eventually break them). I tend to use a set of Sennheiser 275s out and about mostly because in-ears are just more portable and I like having the mic for calls etc.

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
05-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Skullcandy 50/50's.