Joe Danger Touch (Hello Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by HelloSean, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelloSean

HelloSean Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Hello from HelloGames!
    I’m super excited to be able post Joe Danger for iOS on TouchArcade. I can’t tell how it feels like to press that post button, I’ve been staring at it for hours :)

Joe Danger was originally a game made by me and three friends who created Hello Games. It released first on PSN and then XBLA where it was super successful, and it’s probably the best thing I’ve ever done.

After that finished, I started playing around with iPhone development in my spare time, making demos and having fun. Stevie Burgess (who is nervously sat beside me) was a good friend who had left Frontier, where he was Designer on LostWinds. He started working on it in his spare time, then it became full time, and then one day we realised we were both making Joe Danger for iOS!

I've included a little FAQ in this post, but if there’s anything I’ve missed or anything you would like to know about the game, please please do ask :)

What is Joe Danger Touch?
    60fps, super responsive, arcade-stunt-race-em-up, built from the ground up FOR iOS using a gesture based control system (not a virtual joystick, or tilt).

What does it look like?
    This!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When can I get it?
    We're working super hard for an autumn release

Will it run on my iDevice?
    Hope so! We are developing the game to run super well on the following devices;
    iPhone 3GS
    iPod (3rd Gen),
    iPhone4,
    iphone4S,
    iPad,
    iPad2,
    new iPad

Is it going to be universal?
    Yup! We like universal apps.

Retina display support?
    Absolutely. Not up-scaled or anything. It looks so lovely and crisp.

Stevie and I are going to be anxiously sat in this thread waiting for your reaction, hoping for difficult questions :)

You can follow us on Twitter, or check our Blog for updates...

2. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Sorry, no difficult questions from me. The game looks good :) Looking forward to it!

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Here's a difficult question: why the hell is this not in my device right now? :)

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I've got a question. When? I already have it on psn but wouldn't mind playing it on my iPod.

5. trialbyfun

trialbyfun Member

Mar 22, 2011
    UK
    Helloooo its me! ( the other half of the nervous seating arrangement )

That was quick!

@Platyrrhine Thanks, we're trying really really hard to make it super lovely and retain the same edge of your seat fidelity as its big brother counterpart.

@squarezero & @oooooomonkey Sooo, right now we're totally going full steam ahead filling out lots of content, balancing out the levels and making it run super slick. All I can say for sure is that magic sentence "When its ready", but I don't mean that in a Duke Nukem Forever kind of way, i mean that in a "We're real close!" way :)

Its a different game for sure, but it FEELs like totally like Joe Danger.

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

7. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I've got one question: I noticed that the iTouch 4th gen wasn't listed in the "runs super well on the following devices..." section. How does it run on iTouch 4th gens?

Can't wait for the game though, looks amazing!

8. trialbyfun

trialbyfun Member

Mar 22, 2011
    UK
    @sanuku I spat out my drink laughing when I saw your post! Thanks! :)

@redribbon glad to be posting here :) The water looked warm so we had to jump in!

@dodgerblue016 opps! It should say 4th gens. I.e the iPod with the retina display that's like an iPhone 4. Arm7 compatible devices for the techy's people out there. So yep your iPod is deffo on the list.

9. Patriotsman12

Patriotsman12 Member

May 10, 2012
    Will we be able to create our own levels and share them? and also play other people's creations?

10. @sanuku Why was I thinking the same thing as you?

11. iPhone Junkie

iPhone Junkie Active Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Lincolnshire, IL
    Will there be multiplayer races? I can see a guy in first and second in one of the pictures that's why I ask

12. HelloSean

HelloSean Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks!

Thank you for all the lovely comments, genuinely means a lot, and gives us a big boost in finishing the game.

The game is still very much in development though, and we’re playing around with the idea of a level editor and also some sort of async multiplayer (like playing against friend's ghost).

If we don't have absolutely everything when we launch, we will definitely be adding some extra functionality in updates.

13. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Bloody hell it's coming to iOS. I remember waiting expectantly for this to hit PSN ages ago, I was not disapointed. It's a great game with a superb feel and great music (you must release that) so this is a no brainer.

Gesture based is cool but at a later date could you think about an update with onscreen buttons? I'm just thinking about all the complaining in the forums for not having that as an option.

Look at me asking about future updates already :/.....I'm sure you have enough to worry about.

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Man I'm so excited for this one :D

15. sicksilvo

sicksilvo Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Level editor would be such a great feature to have, replayability of game would be highly increased. So keep playing with that idea for a update in a future,I don't see it as a necessary at a launch of the game. I don't like to get hyped over anything, but i have a high hopes for this one. Keep us updated with the progression of development pretty please :D

16. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Probably won't double dip, but played it and loved it on PSN.

17. sicksilvo

Jul 4, 2012
  18. trialbyfun

trialbyfun Member

Mar 22, 2011
    UK
    #18 trialbyfun, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    @devensega Soooo, We've totally gone embracing this as being a touch centric game rather than trying to mimic a physical controller in its play style. Touching anywhere on screen performs Joe's basic moves ( duck , jump etc ), then your gestures on screen perform different tricks. In some cases like with Popup Barriers and D.A.N.G.E.R letters you physically touch on them to Activate / Collect / deactivate those objects as you're hurtling along at top speed ( something you can't do on a gamepad ).

Hopefully after playing JD:Touch you'll not feel like there is any need for on screen buttons, and in the best case wonder why other games would do any different. :) That being said, If lots of people have trouble with this then we'll of course look into alternatives, but fingers crossed....

@GeekyDad glad you loved the PSN JD:D Although we haven't shown this off yet, JD:Touch is all new levels, a whole bunch of new "touch only" mechanics and it also has its own environments not seen in the other games.

@sicksilvo we'll try our very bestest to keep everyone updated :)

19. sicksilvo

Jul 4, 2012
    So I just saw Joe Danger: The Movie 2 announce trailer (Xbox360/PS3 I guess) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1uFKCY6-j0&feature=g-all-u and can't help but to wonder will the Joe Danger Touch future any or similar levels to one's presented in the video?

I'm well aware that they are not the same games, but on Hellogames website it is stated: Here are some Joe Danger Touch FACTS:

It’s like a real console game, but on your iPhone
    It doesn’t use one of those silly virtual joystick things
    It’s a a totally new game, with new levels, mechanics and everything :)

Any news on the game development progress?

20. trialbyfun

trialbyfun Member

Mar 22, 2011
    UK
    What timing!

As you can probably guess we've been super busy spinning the many plates ( or is that bikes? ) of Mr Joe Danger.

The attached photo is actually a pretty accurate version of our day ahead.

[​IMG]

Progress wise, just this very morning in fact I put together a brand new build. I've got my trusty permanent pen to hand, a 10 page checklist of features,
    bugs and other fun, and today we're going to be sitting down to give the game a proper grilling to see what works, what doesn’t and what makes us weep with joy.

With luck the checklist will be getting smaller by the end of the day, but if it doesn't the plus side is it just means the game will be even better when it comes out :)

And as a special bonus you can see the brand new environment on show that we're calling "The Farm". Nobody else has seen this yet so shhhhh. Secret... right?

Meanwhile.... as spotted above, we’ve just released the trailer for Joe Danger 2, which is coming for consoles real soon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ljgeXV_814

One last thing! Next week all of Hello Games is packing their living rooms into the back of a van, and driving from the UK to Germany, to show both the console and iOS versions off. We’re at Hall 7, Booth C020 if we have any German readers on Touch Arcade!

[​IMG]