More players in gamecenter than actual downloads

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Phil128, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Phil128

Phil128 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    As the title says, my latest game Orbital Wars released on thursday. What I don't really understand. There are more players in Gamecenter than actual downloads. For my previous game it was the other way around, which is more obvious to me since not everybody is using Gamecenter. It's not just a few but about 30 percent more players than downloads in iTunes connect. I know that it is not related to the updating of iTunesconnect since it's been like that every day.

2. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Perhaps some people have JB devices and downloaded your game somewhere else?

3. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Yeah - I would guess that's jailbroken devices/piracy you're seeing.

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Thats a crazy number I find only about 20 % of downloads max actually use gamecentre!

5. Phil128

Phil128 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    It's getting worse, currently the player count is almost double than the actual downloads. Is there anything I can do about that?

6. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    If it's not costing you anything for additional traffic (like it appears yours doesn't have to maintain online servers) then there's not much to do, except hope they show a friend who buys it.

If it is costing you, you should add some kind of validation to your servers.

7. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Do you have any analytics? I wonder if you've made a title that particularly appeals to the Russian or Chinese market which are typically more piracy heavy than North American or European markets.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it, there's nothing you can do, just be pleased people are playing and focus on potential customers not the pirates.

8. dakeese

dakeese Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Screenshots are fantastic, and the game is not free. Yep, those numbers are from piracy. Take it as a good sign that your game is desirable. :)