Race Control Director - Racing themed arcade/simulation game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fabianb, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    #1 fabianb, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

Release: 6 April 2017

Hi Touch Arcade people!

I'm announcing my first ever mobile game: Race Control Director. You guys are the first ones to know about this game. Touch Arcade is just as much my home as a gamer as you guys. The funny thing is, when I joined Touch Arcade, I didn't even know how to code yet! I joined Touch Arcade two years ago when I bought my first iPhone (I know.. so late..). Maby some of you know me as a member who posts something now and then. April this year I quit my university education and started to learn how to code iOS apps all by myself, with the help of some internet courses. I then coded a few apps for some festivals and eventually started with this project in September. So that's the story behind this game.

Some explanation about the game:

Race Control Director is a text based game where you act as a racing director. You make decisions based on events which are happening on the race track. You can deploy yellow flags, send out the safety car and if a driver is overtaking while yellow flags are being waved, you penalize them. The game is currently in the works and being developed by Fabian Bouwmeester.

Why arcade/simulation? The game is short session based and playable with one hand, although you have to know the rules of track racing. Such as when to deploy yellow flags or when someone needs to receive a penalty for inappropriate racing behaviour.

I'm planning to make the app paid without IAP. Also there is an option to edit all driver names, so seeing "Donkey Kong just did an incredible overtake! Insane!" is totally possible.

Features:

​​CONTROL THE RACE
    ​Use flags, penalties and even the safety car
    (fully working)

DEVELOP YOUR CAREER
    Promote and relegate from race leagues
    (fully working)

LOTS OF SCENARIOS
    Hundreds of events where you have to react
    (fully working)

SOUNDS
    Team radios and car sounds gives you that extra feeling
    (fully working)
    ​​
    EDIT DRIVER NAMES
    Add real driver names or even add your own name
    (fully working)

BETA:

EDIT: Beta is over, release is 6 april!
    The game is currently polishing up for the beta, so you can still sign up for the beta, as it's almost ready! If you want to participate, go to the website and add your email address. NOTE: use the same email address as your Apple account! The beta will be available late February 2017. And please, only use the website to sign up. Do not post your email in this thread.

Any questions are very welcome, I'll try to answer when possible.

Kind regards, Fabian Bouwmeester, aka fabianb as a fellow TA member.

Game website

My LinkedIn

Contact me
    • For game related questions, ask them in this thread
    • For business related questions, ask them on LinkedIn or send a message on the game website

[​IMG]

2. APPSER

APPSER Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Male
    Wow looks nice

3. Invictus91

Invictus91 New Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Beta

I'd like to be a beta

4. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    You can totally sign up on the website: racecontroldirector.com

Thanks for the interest.

5. nini

nini Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Race Control Irector? That D needs more prominence.

6. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah that's something I've played a lot with, although this was the best outcome. Do you have any ideas how to improve it?

7. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #7 fabianb, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Development update:

SOUNDS
    Team radios and car sounds gives you that extra feeling
    (planned) changed to (works, I only have to add more)

That means that team radios are now working so you can actually hear drivers complain. Who doesn't want to hear that, right?

Oh and all questions are welcome if you have any.

8. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Hello again. I'm still working on the sounds. I got the team radios working ingame, as I said in the post above. I currently programmed it that there are unique team radios in different situations. For example, you hear different team radios when the safety car is out, than when the red flag is active.

As I'm currently writing the content of the team radios, I thought: maby the Touch Arcade members have some cool ideas for team radios. So what would you like to hear? Maby you have a special team radio that you find funny. Let me know in a post below! Thanks. :)

9. GamerLover

GamerLover Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Wow! This looks amazing! Great work.

10. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Signed up.
    Looks amazing.

11. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Such a lovely comment, thanks a lot!

I received it, I'll try to not to let you down. ;)

12. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #12 fabianb, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Almost a month has passed already. Time flies by so quickly. The development of the app had some big steps forward.

- I've added the ability to vote for circuits, which will then be added to the next season. So one random circuit will be out and you then vote a new circuit in.

- I've been redoing a lot of the UI. I'm still busy with that but I've been polishing a lot. I'm striving for the best possible UI I can do, and I always come up with new ideas how to design the UI. Those ideas literally eat my time. I'm focussing a lot on UI animations, so I hope it will be a pleasure to play with.

- Stuff. Yep, just stuff. I've been working on a lot of small features and fixes. Maby you won't even notice the small details but I hope you will, so all the work being done won't be for nothing. Heh.

If you guys have any request, just let me know! I'm open to add requested features, as long as it's realistic for me to develop.

13. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Hi Fabian, cool project you have going there, I know you from TA, and gonna play your game for sure.

I think it's a cool concept specially with the Max Verstappen hype in the Netherlands, the next best Formula One driver out there, well we hope anyway ha ha.

Good luck with further development and with your launch.

14. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Thanks for the kind words Roger, good to see you sniffing around here. And the max verstappen hype comes at the right time for me!

15. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Hi there, quick update!

As you guys most likely noticed, the beta is planned to be released this January. Well, that didn't change. It's still as planned! It will be at the end of January, however with a chance that it's pushed back to February. The actual gameplay is finished already. I'm currently busy with the audio and I'm still redoing parts of the UI. Let me know if you guys have any questions. ;)

Fabian.

16. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #16 fabianb, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Just a random idea I had a few days back, to implement some sort of feedback how well you did last race, so I started designing it yesterday. You won't see them after every race. Here's how some of them look:

[​IMG]

17. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Do not try to get these kind of newspapers, uh oh..

[​IMG]

18. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    The beta was planned to be launched in January, but I won't be able to keep that promise as I'm still polishing the game. I still need a few weeks for it to be ready for the beta. Positive note: the beta is still coming and you can still sign up! As always: any question will be answered if you have one!

19. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

The beta invites will be sent in a few hours! You can still apply here: (click here)

20. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Heads up! The release date has been set and Race Control Director will be available April 6th!