Universal Collision Effect - (Vishindo/Chillingo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Mar 2, 2011.

1. tzael

tzael Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Game Developer
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi everyone and thank you so much for all the positive comments and feedback!

Please keep giving us any feedback, suggestions for new features etc, we'll be monitoring this thread closely as we look at updating the game.

Regarding scores, we want you to explore and find out for yourselves how to best achieve a higher score but I can tell you that it's not necessarily easier to get a higher score on Easy compared to Hard :)

There is also a mechanic/trick we nicknamed "chain surfing" that is easier to achieve quickly on Hard mode but again, we want you find these things out for yourselves ;)

Feel free to ask any questions and again, thank you all so much for all the feedback, it makes us so incredibly happy to read about your experiences with Collision Effect!

Henrik Johansson, Vishindo

2. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Support Retina?

3. tzael

tzael Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Game Developer
    Stockholm, Sweden
  4. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    You had me when GeoSpark was mentioned. Actually lots of great opinions on here convinced me to buy! Btw, icon is not retina on my springboard

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Just picked this up last night and am really enjoying it. Played some arcade and made it through 10 levels of the puzzles so far. It does remind me of GeoSpark but the automatic movement makes it much easier. So fun!

In the puzzle mode how often does the hint button appear? I saw the ? mark and didn't know it was actually the hint button, thought it was like an explanation or something so pressed it. Then the hint pointer appeared (ridiculous since it was like level 2 :eek:) and I realized that was what it was. But then it disappeared for a period of time. Just wondering since I would not want to press it when not really needed!

6. tzael

tzael Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Game Developer
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hi and thanks for the positive feedback! :)

The hint button appears after 10 failed attempts or after 3 minutes of playing the same level.

Thank you for playing!

Henrik, Vishindo

7. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    This is a surprisingly good game. I bought this on a whim two days ago but only launched it on iPad today. And this turned out to be my best buy among the wednesday new releases. Absoutely brilliant work.

8. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Damnit, Squeaker... just when I thought I could relish in a "purchase-free" weekend, trying to catch up with all my recent Mac/iOS purchases, you go ahead and say something like this... :(

9. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Actually thanks go to you for making it! Very fun indeed. Love the two modes as you need different strategies for each to succeed and the puzzles definitely need some thinking to solve! Some are with stationary bubbles but some you need to get them in motion to prevent crashes. All great! Music and sound effects are wonderful too! Great work!

Well, it is true. One of my whim purchases that I found myself extremely grateful to have pushed the buy button for!

10. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

Aaarrrrgghhh!!!! :eek:

11. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Hehehe. Not letting you off lightly. :D

12. Nejibana

Nejibana Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    the puzzle mode is very well done!
    really enjoying it.

Just want to say that maybe the Arcade mode... difficulties could have their points fixed?

Like make Hard mode give out more points?

13. tzael

tzael Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Game Developer
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!

All the biggest high scores during testing and development has been set in Hard mode and those records have not been broken yet on Game Center (I think the highest one is around 25 million now). It did take our testers around 20-30 hours of gaming before they got to that level though :)

The trick is to trigger very large combos and keep the chain multiplier as high as possible for as long as possible.

But we are of course open to creating separate leaderboards in a future patch if that is something you guys really want :)

I think it's pretty cool that you can achieve a really high score on Easy as well, only you have to play for a longer period of time.

Henrik, Vishindo

14. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    I actually think it is different from any other game to keep the leaderboards equal across all levels of difficulty. That way you really have to choose which angle you want to get a high score from - play longer, play with more reaction, play with more chaining - all different and unique. So my vote would be to keep it as is and allow the flexibility to play any way you like.

Points per difficulty level naturally increase as you have more chains and more multipliers on the more difficult levels so to make more points on them gives you an unnecessary higher score.

So again, I really like that this game does NOT differentiate between difficulty levels and if you choose to have a marathon endless game on easy you could with the goal of a high score or conversely have a fast attack hard level game for a high score. It also will appeal to all levels of gamers this way. Some will not feel singled out and everyone is equal.

Is there a way to update so that you can access Game Center from within game? I know it has Crystal but since I use Game Center much more it is sort of a pain to have to exit the app and go check stuff there then go back to playing. Or does having Crystal prevent this. Either way is fine, just easier to have all leaderboards from within game is all - but don't want to complicate things if it creates a hassle for you guys to patch.

15. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

+1

A good example from an unrelated genre... the CAVE bullet-hell shmups share leaderboards across difficulties. On harder modes, you have a much higher capability of scoring, but it's balanced by extreme difficulty that's bound to end your game earlier.

16. tzael

tzael Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Game Developer
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That's exactly how we felt when we made the decision, that it would allow for more diverse strategies and different types of players to compete.

We'll look into it, I'm sure it's something we can add quite easily.

We are only two people working on the game though so I better not start promising to many features, at least not for the first update :)

Henrik, Vishindo

17. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Don't worry - was just a suggestion and when or if you get to it it would be awesome!

Just a great game all around and so happy you chose to balance it the way you did! I didn't know about the CAVE games scoring that Strivemind mentioned since I don't play those kinds of games but that is a perfect analogy and definitely THIS game is needed amongst the puzzler and action games.

Also it is a testament to your game that I enjoy the arcade mode. I am much more a progress through the levels type of gamer (Puzzle mode) but find the arcade mode VERY fun. Usually when a game has the two modes I ignore the arcade mode and stick pretty much to the puzzle mode. But here I am playing both equally! So if it can appeal to me it will appeal to everyone! I applaud the amount of work you put into to the creation of this balance. I am sure it could not have been easy!

18. tzael

tzael Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Game Developer
    Stockholm, Sweden
    We actually had a hard time deciding on whether or not to do both modes or just one of them but when we tested the prototypes the players was split 50/50 on which mode was the best so in the end we did both but it did take a lot more work so it's amazing when you get to read positive feedback like this, thanks!

19. Lorena

Lorena Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I'm addicted to this game! The puzzle mode is very challenging and funny

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    You guys and the video showing puzzle mode have convinced me.

Actually reminds me of a few others I tried recently, but this appears to be more up my alley.