Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-07-2014, 05:01 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by korossyl View Post
For those who compare Civ Rev (or this game) unfavorably to the main series, I would say: I don't think the two are meant to be compared.

After Sid Meier made Civ 1, he took an increasingly "top management" role to the subsequent titles. Though he still dictated the general creative direction o the series, he became progressively less involved in the day-to-day decisions. In the meantime, the games became increasingly "deep;" that is to say, had more and more levels of strategic and managerial decisions available to the player. Civs 4 and 5 are exceptionally GREAT games. And as is right for any series, they've progressed a very great distance from their roots, Civ 1.

But what if you LIKE Civ 1? Every game has a distinct feel and atmosphere to it. Civ 1 is the game I grew up with, and playing later games in the series never meant that I stopped playing earlier ones...until Civ Rev came out. Sid Meier once again took the reins with it, and created a product that feels and plays much closer to Civ I. A smaller, tighter map, a more aggressive AI, shorter games, quick progression, and most of all, less micromanagement. In many ways, Civ Rev felt like Civ 1 -- 2.

Civ Rev is definitely a lighter Civ experience, but it's definitely not a "Civ Lite." Rather than just stripping away elements to reduce complexity or increase accessibility, it replaces them with a more streamlined experience that makes sense, plays intuitively, an feels based in the series' history. Civ Rev gave me the experience that I feel Civ 1 would have provided, were it to be made today.

For this reason, though I still very much play and enjoy the main series, Civ Rev quickly became my favorite game -- ever. To me, the passing of development responsibilities to 2k China just means that Civ Rev 2 is more of a remake than a sequel, not daring to depart at all from Sid's creative vision -- and therefore, from what made Civ Rev so uniquely great, even within the Civ canon. What wasn't perfect about Civ Rev (especially for iOS)? The graphics and te UI. Civ Rev 2 remakes these -- and nothig else! -- from the ground up, while adding new units, buildings, artifacts, wonders, goals, techs, and leaders, just to make everything seem fresh.

If I could have had one gaming wish last year, this would have been it. This game, as it plays, is a dream come true.
After just having gone through a scenario in Civ 5, it's really hard to play Civ Rev again. It may be streamlined, but I am missing all the stuff that makes Civilization on the PC such a great game. I'm all for portability, but it really does feel stripped down on the IPad.

I have played Civ since Civ 2 for the PC, and I got Civ Rev for the DS prior to the Ipad version. Civ Rev may have been designed by the master himself, and he does like to simplify things, a la Ace Patrol. It's a good concept and easy to play then. However, over time a series needs to evolve, and now with Civ Rev 2 it sounds like it has instead just stagnated. I think I'll wait for the eventual 99 cent sale.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by drach View Post
After just having gone through a scenario in Civ 5, it's really hard to play Civ Rev again. It may be streamlined, but I am missing all the stuff that makes Civilization on the PC such a great game. I'm all for portability, but it really does feel stripped down on the IPad.

I have played Civ since Civ 2 for the PC, and I got Civ Rev for the DS prior to the Ipad version. Civ Rev may have been designed by the master himself, and he does like to simplify things, a la Ace Patrol. It's a good concept and easy to play then. However, over time a series needs to evolve, and now with Civ Rev 2 it sounds like it has instead just stagnated. I think I'll wait for the eventual 99 cent sale.
I hear ya. One omission that really chaffs my hide is that, with few special exceptions, units can no longer be upgraded as your tech improves. Even cheesier, unlike the big console versions of CivRev, you can't even kill these useless obsolete units. Sure, they cost you no upkeep but I really don't need having bunches of warriors clogging up the works in the modern era!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mry5 View Post
Simple answer:you can't
Thanks , it seems a stupid thing actually, in my opinion
Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric92 View Post
Thanks , it seems a stupid thing actually, in my opinion
You could create a few armies out of the mess to reduce some micro management, but far from an optimal solution.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 AM

Civilization Revolution 2 Universal gameplay

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 07-08-2014, 02:58 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
You could create a few armies out of the mess to reduce some micro management, but far from an optimal solution.
Well it's not exactly a solid solution for a domination aim :P
Old 07-08-2014, 03:04 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

What can you tell me about the game length? Does it end when it exceeds 2100? Has it got a limited number of turns in every kind of the three games I play?

(In three game I found out that, even though I don't choose anything about turns or final date when, I create a custom match)
Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Default Game Impressions

I never played the previous F2P version of Civ Rev, but picked this one up over the weekend. Gameplay-wise, I'm really enjoying it. I also own Civ V, and in some ways prefer this streamlined version, which in particular seems to encourage conflict more than its' pappy.

BUT...

Clearly I didn't learn my lesson from picking up X-COM on iOS... Firaxis ports are sloppy, crashy and slow. Loading in the 3D character models causes noticeable delays, and late-game I was getting consistent crashes every time I started construction on a new unit.

I imagine these issues are minimal on iPhone5 or iPad4, but you are certain to run into crashes on older devices. Buy at your own risk!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:57 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Is this game any good?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty6868 View Post
Is this game any good?
I quite enjoyed Civ Rev on my PS3. This is a major step backward. There's potential for this game, and with some updates it could get there. Till then this is why I would say you should save your money:

💩 can't sell or upgrade units.
💩 battle animation lacks detail and sound that were there in the old console version. No "overrun" animation.
💩 clunky unit movement.
💩 difficult to select among stacked units.
💩 no way to tell if a unit has moves left.
💩 no help. How do you rush a building or unit? Gotta google it.
💩 can't zoom out. All kinds of camera issues.
💩 hung repeatedly trying to resume. 4 hours progress gone!
💩 there is no place to ask for support. This game doesn't exist at the moment on the 2k support site.