GLWG 2: What do you want in it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Rubicon, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Given the success we've had with Great Little War Game - thanks all - we're planning a future sequel.

We've got plenty of our own ideas, but given how valuable TA feedback has been for the current version, I thought I'd ask you all what you'd love to see in the next installment.

(It's worth pointing out that this is a design item only right now - we're still actively developing the current game, but the earlier we can get a feel for the future one, the better)

Don't be shy, but please be constructive...

2. Gunthermic

Gunthermic Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    1. Bigger maps
    2. A more story line like effect, where a campaign plays as a storyline
    3. Ability for more enimies, like 2 or 3, but enimies also attack each other
    4. More sea battles with an expanded list of ships, aircraft
    5. Ability for turn based system against other players. Maybe even multiple ones.
    6. A little more into the advancement of soldiers, and not so much 1 shot 1 kill thing.
    7. Expanded personal list, like a medic, automatic rifleman, captain that boosts all troops that it can touch kinda thing.
    8. Expanded vehicle listing, a apc that carries more than one troop, a truck that can transport vehicles.

That is some thoughts off the top of my head..

3. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    That's the sort of thing, thanks.

Feel free to debate as well please, I'm just going to watch and see what develops...

4. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Very happy to hear GLWG is getting a sequel! One of the best iOS games ever! I will definitely be buying.

I would agree about integrated story lines in campaigns. And hey, maybe have super characters (like AW generals) with special powers. Yes, I would like to see even more Advance Wars influence I guess. :p

5. ChuckMe

ChuckMe Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Australia
    Base buildings that can be constructed by the engineer.
    Having more than 2 teams on a map, i.e a 2v2 skirmish or having a third army attack during a campaign mission.

My 2 cents. :)

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Zombies
    Secret cow level
    Heroes

7. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Async multiplayer via gamecenter
    some new skirmish maps and all the old ones. that way, you can clear GLWG off and start fresh with the second.
    pass & play with 3 other people. Team 2v2 or free for all. adding this in the campaign and skirmish and multiplayer(hopefully) would be cool as well. Just as long as the AI attack each other. also, if there are 2 people playing, the option to have bots play with you
    bigger maps
    more units
    more story
    be awesome. more glwg.:D

8. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Plus 99999999999. That would be awesome if you were one of the debut devs to take advantage of the new feature in iOS 5's GC.
    You should also include achievements to please the masses.

9. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Thanks for being receptive to suggestions from the forum! :)

As someone already suggested, having additional unit classes like a medic and captain is just crying out to be added: To stop Medic from being too powerful and unbalancing things, maybe you could set them to have only a limited supply of medkits before returning to base to restock? I think 5-7 would be sufficient?
    Captain could offer a 2-hex diameter bonus for additional firepower, extra round, defensive/evasive skills, or just general endurance?
    What do you think about a minigun-wielding soldier? He could fire at two enemies per round, but is super slow.
    Complementing the medic could be a mechanic, who could do similar things to vehicles.

Ability to move the camera perspective in any direction, so we can get worms-eye view of the action.

I also think that you should try to centralise your apps so that you get a higher visibility on the app charts. By creating a low-res vs high-res version, as well as lites per app, you're preventing your game from getting traction into the Top Grossing rankings. I think just have one app, make the base free, and IAP for unlocking full version with other purchase options too. Your game deserves to have higher recognition!!! :D

10. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    - More emphasis on animations, explosion effects, gunshots and bullet trails
    - Different weapon choices/loadouts for each class type to add to strategy.
    - More unit types; pyro, shotgunner, etc :)

11. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Wow, thanks guys - keep it coming.

I can absolutely positively guarantee async multiplayer btw - that's going to be the headline item.

12. spockgold007

spockgold007 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    death star
    what about a map creator and the ability to share them online, this could also be done in 2d instead of 3d, if 3d isn't possible

13. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    There already is one. We are looking into ways to import them from a URL into the game - this applies to the current game too. :)

14. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    - A top-down 2D viewpoint that blatantly rips off Advance Wars which includes the split-screen battle animations like Rogue Planet.
    - A Commanding Officer option with special moves.
    - A graphical overhaul (make it look like AW, Wesnoth or Highborn for example- I don't like the polygons!).
    - Randomly generated levels.

15. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    hell yea!
    this sounds amazing
    I like the graphics as is. just some improvements will be fine. I don't really want a different style.

but randomly generated levels sounds pretty awesome. :D

16. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Heh, with a map editor available there'll be plenty of "random" maps :)

17. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    How bout removing turn limits for most missions? (wouldn't mind if some missions had them) I like to take things slowly, and basically turtle for first few turns and counter attack with a full force. The 'day' limit in the current GLWG is quite a turn off for me (although it does give sufficient turns to complete the mission).

Requesting option to skip all animations and skip to results (one that you can turn on/off). And yes, animations also as in the 'enemy/player turn' things, movement animations etc... Those slow down gameplay quite a bit (ability to choose which animations to turn off would be great though).

18. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    you can take as many turns as you want. you just get a medal, not a silver/gold.

19. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Agreed on adding some AW-esque touches and maybe random level generation... but BOOOO on the graphics. I think GLWG looks AWESOME with polygons.

20. MarkDF

MarkDF Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    It's on the list so I won't harp on it, but online multiplayer will be warmly received!

More units is always good (I'd love a medic unit, perhaps also a unit that can repair vehicles). But to balance more units with the ability of the AI to use them appropriately is important.

I'd like skirmish to be equal starting (actually, I'd love this fixed in GLWG). Instead of secretly giving the AI $50 more, start player and AI equally. Since you gave us the ability to adjust the $/turn, let us select the balance.

I really like the last map of the original campaign (with the side island) even though not all of the features of that map actually came into play. More maps that have such interesting features will always be welcome.

Your opening this question this to your users is greatly appreciated.