Are you getting an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tommet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Initially, it was a no brainer for me. However with the rise of freemium and the IAP monster, iOS gaming does not seem as attractive to me as it was a couple of months ago.

Now, I think I might hold on to the iPad 2 a while longer.

Interested to hear what others think.

2. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Right this second I'll say no, when it eventually comes closer to release though I'll probably be whistling a different tune.

I just can't help myself when it comes to new tech, it's the reason I've owned an original iPhone, a 3GS, an iPhone 4 a 4S an iPad and now an iPad 2! I live in a world where I perpetually upgrade to the latest thing and sell on my old stuff to subsidise it (well I have with all my old mobile phones and my iPad anyway) ill be honest though I'm more interested in what the eventual iPhone 5 will look like and deliver in terms of features.

3. Grimstone82

Grimstone82 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm considering it... I might just hang on to the iPad 2 and get a new quad core ICS Android (GASP!) tablet, maybe the Transformer Prime. There's a 7 incher coming out that looks real nice, and that is a great size for gaming.

4. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    absolutely not.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

There is no "tablet" market, it's the iPad market. You're fooling yourself if you think an Android tablet is going to be better, especially the Transformer Prime. The "solutions" people on Reddit are coming up with to fix their broken Transformers are seriously just priceless. r/android is basically r/funny these days.

6. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    My iPad 3 savings have been transferred to a new account named "Vita Savings".... will stick around with the iPad 2.

7. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    That's what would hold me back too. My purchasing of apps has slowed way down with the proliferation of IAP everywhere. I hold off buying new games until I see whether they're stable releases, or if the devs are going to pull a "Hot Gen" (as it's known around our house). :)

What would probably tip me in favor of an iPad 3 is retina, or a least upgraded, display. I'd buy it if I could read text at the quality level that I get from my iPod Touch 4th gen. Text on an iPad 2 is simply too jaggy for me.

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I still don't see any advantage to a tablet over a netbook or now ultrabook my main fear is I'd hate to waste that amount of money on something so fragile.

But saying that if I was going to buy a tablet it would be the Samsung Galaxy 7.7 over an iPad it comes at a price but it is an incredible device and I can't see the iPad 3 matching it.

9. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Hell yes. So sick of my 1st gen 16gb iPad. No room for apps, a lot of apps not available, safari crashes CONSTANTLY, and I would love a camera for some FaceTime. Also the retina screen (which has pretty much been confirmed) is going to be a HUGE improvement. I didn't think it was going to be versus the 3GS and the 4, boy was I wrong. Once you go retina, going back to a non-retina device really makes you wonder how you went so long without it.

So to answer your question, yes. 100% without a doubt yes.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Nope. I'm getting an iPad 1. For free.

But also... I'm not looking forward to owning a retina iPad and having to suffer sub-native app resolutions. We spend our PC time bathing in the beauty of the native res, we should set the same standards for our tablets too. Give it a few years, when every worthwhile app ships at retina, then maybe I'll find a cheap iPad 3.

11. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #11 dumaz1000, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    Only a handful of games will attempt to maximize whatever the specs of the iPad 3 turn out to be. I'm not saying there won't be any, but in the end there could be no more than somewhere between one and two dozen genuine efforts made. That is out of hundreds upon hundreds of games. For the price tag of $700, it's certainly not worth it; especially if you already own an iPad 2. Who cares if the iPad 3 is 10 times more powerful, or something like that. The vast majority of games certainly won't be.

The possibility of Retina support for the iPad 3 is intriguing at least. But it's still not $700 intriguing. Personally, I don't see how you can justify the price tag mostly just for Retina, and I own a Retina iPhone, so I understand what Retina brings to the table. But the price of an iPad is essentially the same as the price of an unlocked iPhone. You're gonna have to give me a heck of a lot more than Retina support for that. I'm sure some people will buy it for that reason alone though. It's your money, but it seems like an awful waste to me.

12. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I've had the iPad 1 since the day it launched and I doubt I'll be buying another one anytime soon. Right now I'm quite happy with my iPad and Kindle Fire combo and get quite a lot of use out of both of them.

13. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Ill probably pick one up, but only if I have that kind of "disposable" income at the time of release.

14. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I won a Kindle Fire, so the iPad 3 seems like a needless investment atm. One day, when I can afford it, I might. However, seeing as how it will likely be $700 or so, I might just get a Windows Desktop tablet.

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Nope. I hardly even touch my iPod Touch anymore, I see no need for an iPad at all.

16. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Definitely looking to get an ipad3, as my family seems to borrow my iPad quite often, so need another. :)

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I am definitely - I was going to get an iPad 2, but then the new one is meant to come out soon-ish, so I decided to wait.

18. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I have an iPad 1 (typing on it right now), never updated to iPad 2 because its extra features weren't enough for me. I MAY upgrade to iPad 3 but I know I'm soon getting a Samsung Galaxy 8.9 for size and weight convenience, and to use as a device to test Android ports of FreakZone games. Whether or not I replace my iPad with an iPad 3 will be based on how much I use the Samsung tab, this thing is starting to feel a little too heavy!

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Where are you pulling this price point from?

20. gagack

gagack New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    definitely! just broke my ipad2. :D