Universal Wicked World - [a fancy music based action-game]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Triglade, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Triglade

Triglade New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Developer
    Germany
    Hi there,

a friend and me are currently developing a small and fancy action-game and we are damned excited about feedback from the community! We got inspired by titles like "DJ Hero" or "Geometry Dash" and thought about making our own interpretation of music based games. The gameplay is simple, but the challenge is hard... you really have to get into that rhythm to master the tracks!

Features
    • :cool: Fancy spherical rendering
    • :D Harmony of music, colors, and gameplay
    • :rolleyes: Great dance tracks that make you wanna dance
    • :mad: At least 8 ultimately challenging levels
    • :eek: Optionally: Music and maps from the community*

*We are not 100% sure, if this would be allowed on iOS, but we were thinking about adding a community track list that can be downloaded on demand. Otherwise, we are also thinking about including community tracks in the game itself and extending the list from update to update. Maybe with some kind of voting that is done before each update.

So, what do you think?

2. Triglade

Triglade New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Developer
    Germany
    Here are some WIP screenshots of our little fun game...

Avoid obstacles by jumping left or right...
    [​IMG]

Fly up and down by simple tapping...
    [​IMG]

Make 90° turns left or right in sync to the beat...
    [​IMG]

3. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    how we move inside the game?
    This game looks pretty cool. Looking forward to try this.

4. Triglade

Triglade New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Developer
    Germany
    Do you mean the controls? It depends on the current game mode. Currently, there are 3 within the demo track (with respect to the screenshots I posted):
    1. Avoiding obstacles by tapping on the left or right side on the screen.
    2. In the flying mode you just need simple tapping (as in Flappy Bird).
    3. The zig-zag mode needs left and right again to make 90° turns (a bit like in GLTron, if you know and remember that :))

Thank you very much. We tried our best to deliver some innovative rendering style and to our knowledge, stereographic rendering has never been applied to games before.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Whoa! What a trip! Very cool and unique take on a rhythm game! I'm definitely intrigued! Have to keep an eye out for this!

6. Marduken

Marduken Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Wow really love the concept, and the swaping between topdown and lateral gameplay

7. Triglade

Triglade New Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Developer
    Germany
    That sounds really positive. Thank you so much!

The question would be, if we could really build up a game based on music from the community. My only concern about this is its acceptance and if people are willing to contibute.

We are also not sure about the monetization concept. So far we are thinking about something totally new based on donations. For example, the next track is gonna be released, if we hit a certain threshold.

8. Incodra

Incodra Well-Known Member

:cool: We just got the notification to present Wicked World at Apps World Germany next week.
    :D If you attend the exhibition, just come to our booth and try the game prototype on your own.
    :rolleyes: By the way: Tickets for the exhibition are free!

:confused: Here is more information on our booth:
    https://www.apps-world.net/germany/exhibitors/2156/

9. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    This game may be my Game of The Year. I hope it's premium, instant buy for me.

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    This looks so cool and right up my alley.

11. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    This game looks intense.
    Almost like what Dorothy's (from the wizard of oz) brain probably looked liked after walking through the poppy fields! LOL

Do you have an estimate for it's release yet?

12. Incodra

:cool: Wow. We didn’t expect to get so much positive Feedback!
    :eek: You are crazy! Thank you so much!

:( Unfortunately not... we are currently in discussions with publishers, so hopefully I can give more details on this soon.
    :) But as soon as it's out, I can drop you a line.

:D At least we are very motivated by the positive Feedback! So we are working hard to get it done!

13. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Any price info? I'm sure to buy as soon as it drops.

14. Incodra

We are not yet sure about the monetization of the game, but we want to kick off a discussion about it. Maybe you also have other ideas, but these are the options we are currently thinking about:

Option 1: An Antiquity.

Although this isn’t done very often nowadays, we could publish a paid-app for like 1.99 and a free lite version with ads and only a subset of tracks.

:) Easy to realize.
    :) People are happy with having a free lite version.
    :) "No hidden costs" label, because there are no IAPs.
    :( Unpredictable luck factor of getting known with a paid app.
    :( We failed with our previous game using this model.

Option 2: The Machinery.

Like many other games, we could integrate Facebook, IAPs, and a virtual currency C. Playing for a certain amount of time will cost a certain amount of C. The amount of C recharges slowly if time passes, or you get a boost by a cheap IAP, or you ask some friends for help.

:) You don’t need to pay anything for the full version of the game.
    :) Limiting the playtime motivates players to come back later, so it prevents ever getting enough of that genius trip.
    :) Facebook could help us to make the game more present.
    :( IAPs have a "dark soul" and are often wrongly labelled with "hidden costs", which is not the case here.

Option 3: Community!

An all new concept about monetization. So far, we were thinking about making something that better involves the community. What about making a music voting stage within the app? The community can upload their own songs and people can vote for their favorite song. In parallel, we collect donations via IAPs, but you purchase anything... you simply support us! Whenever a certain threshold for the donation is reached, we will create the track for the current number 1 song. Afterwards, the next round begins and the list of songs is reset. Everybody is free to submit a song or to support us by a donation in order to release the next update.

:) You don’t need to pay anything for the full version of the game.
    :) You are free to support us and you should never feel to be forced to do so.
    :) We are working together with the community, which could make the game more visible.
    :) Others can present their own songs within our platform.
    :( High risk for us, since nobody needs to pay anything to get the first full version of the game.
    :( A lot of work and legal questions concerning the music voting stage.

Summary

We really don't know, what would be best for everyone. For you as a user, but also for us as we want to go on making games. It's a really tough decision. Maybe someone here has a word on it. Or maybe someone has a totally different approach? Whatever it is, let us know!

15. setomoto

setomoto Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2015
    I find that lately there is one more type of monetization model that work really well, if your game is compelling enough and also offer an exceptional replay (addictive) value. That is a free to download and play for a full version, with remove ad option. On games like Planet Quest, Crossy Road and Quest Keeper, all of these games pretty much let you enjoy the whole experience as it is, and allow players to just remove the ads at a cost from .99 to 1.99. Ad-removal has been a very impulsive purchase for me, as once I feel that the game is actually fun enough and ads are annoying enough, I'd quickly pay that small change to remove them. It is very similar to your community option, but you still get support from ads to begin with and we are not getting a gimped/lite version with annoying timers and premium currencies. There is also the factor of unlocking things as we play, maybe new environment / themes, new balls and new tracks. I think it is very important to have players feel rewarded for playing, instead of being punished (timers, paywall) for playing too much.

16. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    If you want my honest opinion premium is the way to go. I know it's risky and sometimes doesn't pay off the risk but look at titles like boson x, super hexagon, monument valley, Leo's fortune, alto's adventure and the list go on and on... You know what all of these games have in common? Quality. I will be brutally honest with you.. Your game is very unique and it has potential to write history in the mobile world. I know that developing a game is hard, it takes time, dedication and of course money. In my eyes you should polish the s*** out of this game and bring it to premium quality standards. Some exposure will also help.. I know it's hard to create an artistically aesthetic video, but it's not always about the fancy stuff and glamorous effects a smart idea is perfect! Take a look at that http://youtu.be/2tAtpygGFJc it's a game I enjoyed a lot few years ago. I know it's hard but trust me if you want to build up your name and get some recognition/fame as an indie developer premium is the way to go. Just take your time and polish the game.. Build up hype (trailer, teaser, artwork of the game (Twitter, Facebook). I think your game has potential to be one of the best out there.

17. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    oh and an endless mode could help.. I mean why would I ever touch the game again if it's over? Think of Duet and Octagon both have an endless mode and it's the only reason I come back to these games. Leaderboards are a must nowadays..

18. Incodra

:D Thanks a lot for your feedback setomoto and Rythan! Maybe this is really the way to go!

Perhaps, we could also make the best out of both worlds:
    - Free to play full version with remove ad option.
    - Premium version with an exclusive additional feature like a track editor.

:eek: WOW! That's really motivating!!

19. tientong

tientong Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Viet Nam
    #19 tientong, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Looks interesting, following...

I think so. But with the simple gameplay I prefer "Free to play full version with remove ad option." :)

20. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    f, no f2p timer stuff please, people including me prefer to pay for premium , but actually it all depends on the community of the game,