Universal Squids Wild West - (by The Game Bakers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 26, 2012.

1. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    the hellboy helmet is just cosmetics only..

2. iZombie

iZombie Active Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Thanks guys... opportunity lost. :(

3. Irsan_m

Irsan_m New Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Hidden character

Anyone got the last hidden character besides kapono? And how do you get it? Thanks! :)

4. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    Anyone know where the secret star is in level 3, first chapter? If so, please screenshot it; I can't find it for the life of me.

5. Badtz

Badtz Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    It's at the top of the map, between the two sea urchins and above the crab.

6. Takeso89

Takeso89 Member

Feb 10, 2012
    SPOILER ALERT!

The last squid is Jammer (the scout we see in the bonus levels of the original Squids)! It's actually pretty tricky to unlock him, I've figured it out by accident.

I'll tell you just some hints: in the last stage of the 2nd "act" (The Diablo Squid), you have to access a certain area of the map to make Jammer show up (he'll say he's the true spirit of the wild west or something like that). Then you'll have only 1 turn to reach him and do something (yeah, I won't tell you, but it should be pretty obvious when you see where he shows up). Have fun! xD

7. Takeso89

Takeso89 Member

Feb 10, 2012
    So,knowing that the devs read these forums, I'd like to make some suggestions (perhaps not implementable right now, but great for the next games):

1- Healing feels clunky. I don't know if it's just my play style, but I've felt this way since the original Squids. More often than not, trying to heal another squid causes more trouble than it's worth, because you risk throwing two or more squids at urchins, TNT's and off cliffs. Since then, I've not used a healer in my team (currently I use 1 scout, 2 shooters and 1 trooper) and I've actually found it easier to play with no healers, as it's more effective to kill the enemies before they have the chance to attack you than to heal the damage they cause. So yeah, it's better to use the healer slot to choose a higher damage dealing squid and not let the enemy attack you at all. Also, power-ups are more than enough to keep you alive if you're careful.

I think healing should have its own mechanics, in a way that it's not detrimental to your positioning. IMO, something along the lines of the shooters' shots without the knock-back would fit perfectly. E.g.: the healer would have to be near the injured squid, then it'd shoot a healing pearl at it.

2- Squids should have unique traits/abilities besides the existing class system, so that many different play styles are possible. I know this currently kinda happens, because of the difference in the stats, but I don't feel it's sufficient to promote enough diversity.

An example of this would be:

Scouts: Romino's dash would add bonus damage to his attacks but would be limited in number; Steev's dash would have more charges and travel a greater distance; Jammer's dash would make him invulnerable for the duration; Kapono's dash would have even more charges but would be shorter.

Shooters: Vesper's shots would deal great damage but have shorter range; Clint's shots would deal moderate damage and have a greater range; Jane's shots would have multiple charges; Cleef's shots would deal AoE damage.

Troopers: Brad's stomp would pull enemies farther but deal less damage; Sammo's stomp would deal high damage and have little knock-back.

3- A skirmish mode is needed. I think it'd be great if we had some sort of infinite arena level in which enemies would spawn in waves and grow stronger over time.

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Question for you guys. I want to get this, but haven't played the original Squids. Does this game stand on its own, or should I play the original first for the sake of story, etc.?

9. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    And why is the old game twice the price of the new one? Not saying it isn't worth it, just find that strange.

10. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Launch sale.
    Wait a while and they'll be the same price.

11. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    They definitely reference the first game, and, of course, the characters you meet in the first are mostly already with you in the second. That being said, I would say you'd have no problem enjoying the second game without having played the first. It does pretty much stand on its own. Most of the dialogue, as excellent as it is, is tongue-in-cheek, so you're not going to really miss anything in terms of an overarching plot.

Not sure, but it could be that the second is priced low for launch and may end up going up in price.

12. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks. Any reasons to skip the first one?

13. J3RKFAC3

J3RKFAC3 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    bug in the 1st chapter bonus level?

In the Bouncy Saloon bonus level, the goal is to achieve a triple bounce - but even after I make it (the triple bounce combo graphic appears) it fails to register and I'm defeated...
    I've done a triple bounce off a single enemy and multiple enemies, found the secret star, not found it - but in every instance I'm defeated after achieving the goal. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a technical glitch?

thanks! btw - this is a _great_ sequel. finished the main storyline over the long holiday weekend and can't wait for the next chapter and part 3.

14. timedblades

timedblades Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Weird looking strategy game, but highly popular as I can see. Maybe I will give it a shot in the weekend. Any other game breaking bugs?

15. J3RKFAC3

J3RKFAC3 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    the potential bug I mentioned only happens in one bonus level and doesn't effect any of the rest of the game. you can successfully go through the entire main storyline and most of the other bonus levels without running into this particular issue I encountered.

16. Takeso89

Takeso89 Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Huge hidden surprise

Okay, for anyone who did not get 3 stars on all missions until this moment: DO IT NOW!!! There's a hidden bonus you unlock after it! Believe me, it's worth it!

Too curious to know what it is? Read the following spoiler at ur own risk!

WARNING - HUGE SPOILER

Upon getting 3 stars on all missions, you'll unlock WINNICK!!! Here was I, hoping we'd get to play him on the next levels and trying to accomplish 3 stars on all missions just for the sake of boredom, when BAAM "You unlocked Winnick". Haha, a lot of u won't believe me, but it's true. He comes with the straw hat, has 3 dashes and 3 stomps. The bad things are that his stats are hidden (??), his model is the previous one (how nice would it be if we got to play the corrupted one?!) and there's really nothing for u to do at this point with him, since all levels have been cleared =P. Nice touch, devs!

17. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    I would highly recommend playing the first Squids before Squids Wild West. You would enjoy the story better. :)

SWW still plays well as a stand alone game.

18. dream

dream Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I would argue that the first game has a plot twist that will exponentially increase your enjoyment of Squids 2.

19. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I ran into a nasty bug with Openfeint integration in the first game that prevented me from finishing the game unless I uninstalled and reinstalled (thank goodness for using iExplorer to find the save game first, so I didn't have restart from the beginning). I played the entire game without implementing OF, even in basic generic mode. That worked fine until the bonus levels, then my in-game store became inaccessible and I could no longer level up squids. Enabling OF after the bug appeared had no effect. Once I deleted and reinstalled and enabled OF from the beginning, the game worked fine.

I recommend playing the first one for the story, and as an extended tutorial for this game. It's a much simpler game, overall, with uneven progress, but I'm glad I played it. It was fun despite the nasty bug, but Wild West is a lot more complex and a lot more fun imho. I'm about half-way through WW and I'm enjoying it immensely, and the story has me enthralled. I wasn't nearly so engaged in plain old Squids.

20. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Has anyone been able to get this bonus, and credit for the 3-starring bonus levels achievement since the most recent update?

I've 3-starred everything, but "Get 3-stars for all bonus missions" achievement is stuck at 95% and isn't moving no matter how many times I replay the bonus levels (and 3-star them once again).

It looks like that bonus comes only when the achievement is unlocked. I have 3-starred everything but nothing extra has been awarded or unlocked.

I emailed Game Bakers with a bug report and photo showing what's going on, but no response yet.