Rogue likes addiction.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cmac257, Aug 12, 2012.

1. cmac257

cmac257 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2012
    I can't decide, should I buy rogue touch or sword of fargoal? Or even cavern? I love rogues on my desktop and I want some mobile ones.

2. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    Sword of Fargoal AND Cardinal Quest. Excellent mobile roguelikes.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Legend of Yore is another good one.

Here's a list of all iOS roguelikes:

4. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    #4 Issac, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

+1, and then +10 more for Legends of Yore. One of my favorite games, regardess of platform.

I don't know what it is - something about the simplicity of the art work coupled with the simple yet addictive play mechanics just speak to me.

Sword of Fargoal is pretty awesome, too. The ambient noises that are used as sound effects draw me in.

Also, I got Endless Depths rpg free a little while back - don't know if it still is free or not - but I'm having fun
    with it.

And finally - to list one more you didn't ask about :p - 100 Rogues is quite a find

Now if only Baroque would make it to iOS...

I can't speak for Rogue Touch, though I do understand it is good.

5. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #5 violentv, Aug 12, 2012
    100 Rogues is indeed pretty awesome.I got it for free and went on to purchase most of the character/monster IAPs. I have yet to try many of the games on that list...but are there any really complex and deep ones? I am not going to expect something like Ancient Domains of Mystery on the ios but something a little more complex than 100 rogues would be great.

eh.. I think there was some watered down version of Baroque released at the end of last year? It seems to have been removed from the appstore though!
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=118191

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My personal picks and recommendations:

100 Rogues
    Cardinal Quest
    Sword of Fargoal
    Ninja Quest

These arent roguelikes, but I get a roguelike-feel when i play them. You might want to give them a shot too.

Tower Of Fortune
    Dungeon Raid
    Legend Four

As for wishlists, Baroque sure would be awesome on the iOS. And also, I wish to have Zettai Hero Project (PSP) to be on the iOS. It's probably the best roguelike experience ive had, because of how action-oriented it feels like compared to most roguelikes. I also like to have Breath of Fire 5 on the iOS which is pretty much a roguelike game, although that's one of the reasons why Breath of Fire fans didnt like it, but i loved it.

7. cmac257

Jun 29, 2012
    Bought sword of fargoal, but can anyone vouch for cardinal quest?

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yes, it's good. Get 100 rogues too.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just above your post, I recommended Fargoal, 100 Rogues and Cardinal Quest. You wont regret getting them. :)

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have Cardinal Quest and I love it. Is Sword of Fargoal as good and different enough to warrant a purchase. Yep, SoF is an-app-store-whopping $2.99, so I am a bit hesitant ;-)

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #11 Vovin, Aug 12, 2012

Be ensured that your 3 bucks support 2 awesome and devoted devs who are very active in these forums and put tons of hours into it to improve and polish it. Plus: SoF is worth the price several times. This game never left my phone after the first installation.
    Cardinal Quest is cool, too.
    And go check if Endless Depths is still free.

12. cmac257

Jun 29, 2012
    Ok, i bought 100 rogues, sword of fargoal and cavern. So far, sword of fargoal is my favorite and cavern is my 2nd.

13. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I went ahead and bought Sword of Fargoal per recommendations here. It is certainly much different from Cardinal Quest. In comparing the two, I can now clearly see how CQ is so streamlined compared to SoF. In SoF, there is much more guessing involved for me as to how to approach fights and what the various items do. CQ is a much quicker play and I strongly prefer it. I am not saying that I don't like SoF, but it is a bit slow and tedious for me in the early going.