Battery Life Questions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shankopotamus, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I was wondering how my iPod Touch's battery compared to everyone else's battery life and how I could increase the life of it.

What brightness setting do you guys use on your devices when playing games and how much battery life do you get? I have my brightness at 1/2 of the slider and don't seem to get very good battery life. When playing Order & Chaos, I can only play for about an hour. I know that it's using wifi, so that makes it drain the battery. When playing more casual games, I obviously get a little more battery life, but not much.

2. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    iPad 1 - about 10 hours: low (<1/4) brightness, 3G off, wifi on, sound on low.
    iPad 2 - no obvious difference in battery life to iPad 1, but I've not timed it yet.
    iPhone 4 - not timed it, but I'd say less than the iPad battery life. Maybe 6-8 hours low brightness, 3G off, mobile data off, wifi on, sound on low.

For all devices, if everything's switched on, and brightness is turned up, the battery life is quite noticeably less. Some games use far more battery than others too. But the battery life is always hours, whatever settings they are on.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    If you're getting battery life that low, it's probably a memory leak. Just close all of your multitasking apps and do a hard reset.

4. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Seem like issues like this will only get worse with icloud and wifi synching. You could go months without ever having to completely drain your battery and with apps always downloading on your device (I used to always buy from Itunes then download but now keep icloud on). I really hope those memory leak issues and battery drain issues will be improved in the next gen devices, or is it not that big of a problem? Seems like its been an issue with all idevices, and I (not knowing anything about the cause) am just wondering why its remained.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Considering playing Order & Chaos is probably the heaviest usage of the iDevice to date (heavy internet use, gameloft engine/graphics) for me, I'd say about two hours or slightly less would be pretty accurate on the iPhone/iPod Touch on that brightness level. I leave me slider there to, and when I did play Order & Chaos, I always got the 20% warning about 15-30 minutes after an hour had passed on my 4th generation iPod Touch. Just close all the your multitasking applications, and reset your device from time to time. Do a full restore one of these days from your backup; that clears out a lot of trash. I guess you should consider playing on the charger. Anyways, playing MC2, Nova 2, Starfront, and Asphalt 6 online generally yields about two hours or less as well, so there's nothing wrong with your device. It's a different story on the iPad 2 though, heheh.

6. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions. If I restore and backup my iPod, will it save my game data, like all of the campaigns I'm halfway through?

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yep, just backup your iPod before doing the restore by syncing your iPod to iTunes. Everything will be there once you've restored it.

8. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Is just a one click restore.? i have only restored once from my first gen iphone to my ipod now. It was weird because i asked it to restore from the backup, and it basically synched twice. Once to get all the correct apps on there. I then disconnected it, but saw no save data. i then plugged it back in and restored it again, and the app data was there. New device thing?

9. CoreOzze

CoreOzze Member

May 19, 2011
    Mine vary depends on the settting and games i play. Drained pretty quick with 3D games like Infinity Blade or Real Racing 2. For some platformer i can achieve around 6 hours , mine is 2nd gen and i think is normal for it.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I have problem with syncing. And iTunes. When I updated to newest it wouldnt sync anymore. Maybe Windows xp doesn't work well on newest iTunes. And also I have lle memory space on iPod 8GB with pics and apps and music only taking 4-5gb. What are the "others" on memory and how can I reduce them?

11. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I didn't like the battery life on order and chaos either I've actually deleted it I just don't think online play is very suited to the Ipod it hasn't really got the stamina for it.

I'd also bear in mind some apps don't seem to close even if you manually close them Beejive is a good example I've turned it off before and yet it still receives messages even hours later.

12. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    restore from backup.

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Does that help me to sync again? I haven't synced in a month, so will I lose all my progress?