Developers: How do you monetize a game with good retention?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by LittleNando, Oct 31, 2017.

1. LittleNando

LittleNando Active Member
    Patreon Silver

Dec 7, 2016
    Hey guys! I'm a game developer. We just launched a free to play game called Floyd's Sticker Jam, for iOS and Android. What we are seeing is that the game has good retention. Say,

Day 1 - 60%
    Day 7 - 20% aprox.
    Day 30 - 6% aprox.

But we are getting not a lot of people paying for in-app purchases. Practically nothing.
    Game sessions are around 20 minutes, even! We're trying to rebalance the game, but, my question to you developers is, when exactly do you start getting/seeing your first user-spending in your free to play games? 1 week? 1 month?

This is an action game, btw.

Any input would be great!!!

2. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate Well-Known Member

I just downloaded your game. It's pretty fun.

How many downloads / active sessions do you have a day?

Cheers,

Dave

3. LittleNando

Patreon Silver

Dec 7, 2016
    Hey Dave what up! Thanks mate.

We had around 50-100 installs per day (payed installs, through Ad Colony, in select countries, Ireland and Canada), por 1 week.
    So around 1000 installs, but for Android only.

We have some other organic installs too, but not many. Say, 300?

4. DaveMApplegate

I love the game but I'm not sure if it's the type of game that I'd want to spend money on IAPs right now.

It will be hard to monetize w/ ads if you're mainly driving installs w/ ads. I'd be willing to bet your ARPU isn't near your cost per install.

I've got buddies who are making $10+ eCPM w/ ad mediation platforms right now. If you can find a way to drive a lot of organic downloads easy, that would be my gut (I know it's easy to say and hard to do : ) Getting a few thousand really dedicated players who are willing to watch ads can ad up (pun intended.)

5. LittleNando

Patreon Silver

Dec 7, 2016
    Hahah, nice pun.
    MMmh, ok. Can you tell me which are the games of your buddies? So I can give them a look!

Why would u say u wouldn't spend IAP in Floyd's? Is it maybe too easy?
    We thought we would be seeing spending in stickers, which once pasted unlock new content (new bosses, new items, etc). Maybe that's not clear in the first or second playthrough/flow...

6. DaveMApplegate

7. LittleNando

Patreon Silver

Dec 7, 2016
    Oh thanks for this Dave!!! I also only spend on Clash Royale.... hahah. That's why we made that the gacha purchase system in floyd (the stickers) unlock content, so you can unlock boss fights, medium bosses, items, etc! Thanks for your input mate!

8. AlphaTodd

AlphaTodd Well-Known Member

May 3, 2017
    In-game monetization is one of the most difficult and controversial things to do. You want to make sure that there is a definitive NEED to buy something in the game, but, you don't want it to overtly interfere with the main gameplay. If you do, players will think you're forcing them to buy stuff to play it more, and that'll lose you players.

Think carefully on the matter, and then see what natural options flow from it.

9. FGL_Rozek

FGL_Rozek Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Community Relations @ Enhance
    All ad networks have their ups and downs. They'll have a good campaign, then it will end, then later they'll get another, and so on. It's best to have multiple networks and mediate them. That way you get the benefit of the ups, and can mitigate the downs.

Finding that perfect network or networks can be tricky as well. What works for one may not work for another. So what to do?

At Enhance, we want to show developers how simple life could be, a life without the hassle of integrating SDKs into your Android or iOS project. It's time to enjoy making games again!

Integrate all of the services that providers offer without ever having to touch an SDK again. With little to NO coding at all and without touching source code, Enhance® is the easiest way to integrate 3rd party services into your project or to keep them up to date. (Ads, Mediation, Analytics, Attribution, Crash Reporting and more) No more SDK integration!!!

Start trying out networks NOW. Find out which ones will increase your income!

Gone are the days of spending hours or even days implementing and updating SDKs. How does a few clicks and a few minutes sound? Well, follow the link for more information on how to get started with Enhance® : http://fgl.io/2lf

[​IMG]

Good Luck!

10. y.briones

y.briones Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Community Manager
    Barcelona
    I just played your game and I loved it! Now I understand why you are getting stats like this.
    I got a video interstitial after the middle of world 1, after doing 2 levels. I think that's ok. How is this format performing for you so far?
    I think maybe you could add rewarded videos in the store as an option to allow users to get more plutonium.
    Overall, great game! :D