Free app providers discussion and updates

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by VoodooVyper, May 2, 2012.

1. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Since the Amoebattles thread was closed down, I figured this thread is where we can post updates to freemyapps.com.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, freemyapps.com is a website that allows you to download (free) sponsored apps to earn credits. The credits allow you to redeem for otherwise paid-for apps.

I am no way affiliated with freemyapps.com. But I think it's a great service to allow gamers like myself to save a few bucks here and there.

2. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    I still doubt about the legality of this "thing"...it's too wonderful to have great games for free to be legal at 100% :confused:

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It seems legit. I believe what's happening here behind the scenes is they're buying gift codes from the App Store for $x, developers are paying them $y to have people download the featured games and advertisers are paying them $z for you to watch trailers. When you've earned enough credits that $y+$z exceeds $x by whatever profit margins they're looking for is, you get the gift code.

Keep in mind, when you're not buying something, you're the product being bought and that definitely seems to be true here.

4. Snake Eater

Snake Eater Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    I now have the points for Pages and ALL APPLE APPS are gone form the site, people in the other thread said they have disappeared for a couple days before but it's been more then a couple days.

Hopefully they come back soon

5. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

It's legal, and I've seen similar services run for various MMO's.

1. Companies pay FreeMyApps to receive a certain downloads/impressions of their apps from genuine users (and not spam/bots) at a 30sec minimum (TV commercial length).

2. Users download said free apps with the incentive of earning points to get free games.

3. Profit. A lot of downloads reward around 80 points, compared to the average $1 reward costs 260 points. With simple math, as long as companies are willing to pay more than around $0.31 for an impression, then FreeMyApps.com profits.

It's totally legal. The big question, is whether Apple accepts it or not.

6. jeffmd

jeffmd Active Member

Nov 19, 2010

Not so much. The pc realm has had a few sites where if you "sign up" for things, you can obtain software in its library that is otherwise sold. Now when were talking $30 software here, you usually had to throw like $10 at a service to try it for a month, or in my case I just apped for a credit card.

In the iOS case however when apps cost 1-3 bucks, a lot more lower cost advertising/trial methods can be utilized. In the case of this site is appears that they have gotten together with two sets of game companies, one set wants their games to be downloaded and tried out in a more aggressive trial style manner (The video I saw simply opened it up just to get the credits, but the fact that it is on your system now means you may actually check it out). When you have been registered as trying out said app, that company is paying freemyapps a certain amount of money. In the second column, they have a bunch of paid versions of apps, but only a select bunch and some of them are quite old, so these are apps that the game makers have elected to take what ever that (probably cheaper) fee was from the trial company as payment.

You will note that the purchases are done through promo codes in the actual itunes store so once you have the game, it is yours, and you are downloading it from a legit source.

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Ah you beat me to it! Was gonna post a similar thread :) It's legit. Got 7 apps from it.

8. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I've got about 20.

9. LearnIIBurn

LearnIIBurn Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    I got Grand Theft Auto III, Clear Vision and am saving for Infinity Blade II. Legit it is!

Also I've found cool apps through this and kept them. Everyone wins!

10. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    How is clear vision? I heard it only takes an hour tops to beat the game all the way through.

11. dhuffman5

dhuffman5 Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I'm new to FMA. Has Infinity Blade II come and gone before? It's gone and I just now got enough credits for it...

I look forward to utilizing the service until Apple shuts it down!

12. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    heads up, Mobil App is up as a sponser app for 125 creds. Get it before it goes away

13. Snake Eater

Jun 23, 2011
    I've seen it come and go before, hopefully Apple apps come back

14. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Got it thanks.

Was saving up for IB2 as well, was pretty cheap also :(

15. Snake Eater

Jun 23, 2011
    Pages is back up! Downloading as I type

16. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Yes. It's back. But when I tried to download FMA said: "Sorry, Pages is not currently available. Please select another gift." :(

Will try later…

17. snapb202

snapb202 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2012
    New to FMA, thanks to touch arcade! Was saving up for iMovies - and should have enough once mobli is credited. Dissapointed to find its disappeared - hope those who wanted Pages were able to download it now that it's come back.

Is this the beginning of the end? Do you think that their business model wasn't sustainable so they are going to let redeemable gift apps slowly dwindle without renewing, so there's not much of a choice? I dont know much about these things, just wondering out loud.

That sucks; for People like me :( Congrats to everyone that's already cashed out with what they wanted!

18. Snake Eater

Jun 23, 2011
    I know the site is legal I just feel once Apple catches wind of this site they are going to force their apps be removed, I seriously doubt they want their apps being given out for free under any circumstance

19. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

New sponsor app Via.me +80 credits. Strange showed up only on my iPhone 3G and iPad orig. (NOT on iPhone 4 and iPad 3rd gen.)

Still not being able to download Pages. Same error message as I posted before.

20. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Nice! I've missed quite a few sponsor apps and if I only got 260 apps I guess I could be close to that.