How to be a Developer?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by The Lab, Dec 12, 2008.

1. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    I've been scouting, writing reviews, testing, and just enjoying the whole iPhone/iPod Touch app phenomenon but now its time for me to go to the other side.

How do I become a Developer?
    What do I need to know?
    What tools do I need to start?
    And what books do you recommend or training?
    Also any developers with how they got their start if they would share their stories as well as advice I'd be grateful.

2. MidnightS

MidnightS Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I would begin by signing up for an Apple developer account and reading the documentation. You also might want to check out the iPhone development platforms:

www.unity3d.com
    www.stonetrip.com
    www.garagegames.com

Basically, get up to speed with Xcode and your Apple developer account and then begin doing a lot of reading. Whether you choose to use the standard SDK or a complete game engine you'll have to mess around with some prototype work to learn the ropes but these days it's pretty easy to get up and running. Good luck!

3. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    That would be a good start, then you just make a crappy app, abuse price drops and promise updates that never come and soon you will be rich!

4. The Lab

The Lab Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Utah
    Ha ha I'll do my best to keep enough controversy for the Touch Arcade Forum

5. MidnightS

MidnightS Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Oh, and don't get cynical ;P It will take a long time ...

6. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    #6 BulletDev, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
    Wait, do you have any programming experience? You'll need to understand Objective-C to create a *good* functioning application. The easiest way to learn that is to read "Become and X-Coder" (Free eBook)

7. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    You read up and learn to code, I'll learn a 3d design program, and in a few years we can team up and create something incredible.

or not

8. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    using something like unity you really dont need to even write any code.. the engine pretty much handles it for you.. then there are engines that give you more and more control over code, eg. oolong, and sio2

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Apparently you've never used it. ;) It's not remotely intended to be a coding-free game engine...you definitely have to write code with Unity, and you won't be able to make anything good if you don't have a decent grasp of coding. You don't have to write any of the low-level stuff, depending on what you're doing--if you want something the engine doesn't provide, you can write it. Certainly all the game logic has to be scripted or else you have nothing. It's all high-level scripting with memory management and so on (but it's AOT compiled so it's fast), so you're not stuck writing Objective-C and doing all the hard 3D math stuff, but it's still coding.

--Eric

10. lol do not lure the young one to the dark side ! : D