Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 PM
MidianGTX MidianGTX is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,765
Default Question regarding iMessage

I'm guessing quite a lot of you use it, so maybe someone will know.

For whatever crazy reason, I have a friend who disables iMessage in her phone settings whenever she's at work. If I go to message her, the send button will be blue (iMessage) until after I attempt to send it, when it'll fail and switch to green (SMS).

So my question is this: When she turns iMessage back on, will the send button automatically update and return to blue on my end? Knowing how fussy the service can be I'm thinking it might either take ages to update or just not update at all until she sends me a message. If the latter is true then I'm stuck being unable to communicate. Is there any way I can force it to try sending as iMessage again?

Thanks people!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Teh_Ninja Teh_Ninja is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,867
Default

When she turns iMessage back on, I'm almost positive she'll reappear as blue on your phone. Now if you sent her something while she had it off, it won't turn that sent SMS to an iText(?), once she turns it back on.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 AM
MidianGTX MidianGTX is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ninja View Post
When she turns iMessage back on, I'm almost positive she'll reappear as blue on your phone. Now if you sent her something while she had it off, it won't turn that sent SMS to an iText(?), once she turns it back on.
She's in another country and my free texts don't cover international SMS, so when the iMessage fails, so does the SMS attempt. I just gotta wait it out I guess
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 AM
MidianGTX MidianGTX is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,765
Default

So... in the name of science, I shall elaborate.

I had a plan, pretty simple really. Start typing her name in on iMessage on my iPad and see if it was highlighted in blue. It was, so I figured she'd switched it back on.

Long story short: Rebooting my phone switched it from green to blue. If it does update automatically, there seems to be a huge delay before it happens.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Teh_Ninja Teh_Ninja is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
So... in the name of science, I shall elaborate.

I had a plan, pretty simple really. Start typing her name in on iMessage on my iPad and see if it was highlighted in blue. It was, so I figured she'd switched it back on.

Long story short: Rebooting my phone switched it from green to blue. If it does update automatically, there seems to be a huge delay before it happens.
So you seem to have fixed it?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 AM
MidianGTX MidianGTX is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ninja View Post
So you seem to have fixed it?
Yep, but it requires me to guess when she's turned it back on and reboot. Not ideal, but at least it's a reliable way of telling. I guess automatically updating itself would require too much calling home to Apple with the millions of iMessage devices out there.

Last edited by MidianGTX; 03-02-2013 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Teh_Ninja Teh_Ninja is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Yep, but it requires me to guess when she's turned it back on and reboot. Not ideal, but at least it' a reliable way of telling. I guess automatically updating itself would require too much calling home to Apple with the millions of iMessage devices out there.
Damn, I wish there was an easier way. Sorry :/
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent