Recently upgraded from iPhone 4 to 5C, what are some games I can actually play now?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cdbaksu, Jun 26, 2014.

1. cdbaksu

cdbaksu Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm very excited to be upgrading to a 5C from my old iPhone 4, and now am looking for some awesome games I can play (that I couldn't before).

I'm a fan of RPGs, arcade and beautiful games in general. I won't be shy of spending my $25 gift card on premium games that are worth it!

So I'd really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

2. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Well you should definitely check out the Infinity Blade series. They may be a little old by now, but they're graphically among the best games on iOS.

GTA: San Andreas is a classic, and it runs excellent on the 5C.

Oceanhorn is a classic Zelda-esque RPG, and one of the best RPGs available on iOS.

Lili is another beautiful Unreal-engine game, though be forewarned that the developers added pop-up ads to their paid app after a bunch of people already bought it - very sleazy.

The Final Fantasy games are expensive, and aren't particularly graphically intense, but they're some of the best RPGs on iOS.

3. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Wayward Souls
    Battleheart Legacy
    they are both really popular on the forums so I'm sure you heard them before.
    And if you haven't played before check out this ones as well
    Epoch 2
    Spiral Episode 1
    Bastion
    Star Wars:KOTOR

4. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I'm still on my 4. I'll upgrade soon...

5. cdbaksu

Jul 25, 2013
    The performance upgrade is just mind blowing after spending years with my 4.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, please do keep them coming if you have more! :)

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I moved from my iphone 4 to a 4s and that change was incredible to me. Apps werent crashing, i could install anything like Bastion etc without glitches or the odd crash. Love it

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Karateka. It didn't work properly on my iPhone 4...

8. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Iphone 5s and the upcoming iPhone 6 are the best choice for gamers! I have an iPhone 5s and some games like god of fire and infinity blade 3 have micro lag!

9. cdbaksu

Jul 25, 2013
    Unfortunately , the 5s and probably the 6 will be too expensive for where I live. The 5c was the only half-affordable option for me..

10. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #10 goodboyback, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    I disagree,For that price you can get a good enough quad core phone+ Vita+3ds.5s is a crap device incapable of handling even old ps2 ports.I wouldn't suggest anyone buying one that would be throwing your money in a gutter, like I did.

Cdbaksu,You did well brother but even a 5c won't last another year,If my 5s is struggling right now imagine what will happen in a year's time.Atleast you didn't commit the same mistake as I did.

11. ExK

ExK Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Founder @ http://cks-studio.com
    Singapore
  12. twenty6868

twenty6868 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Try Hazumino, I got game from promo code forum. It is quite good.

13. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    Which PS2 ports are you struggling with? All the ones I've tried - GTA series, Bard's Tale, Monster Hunter - run great on the 5 and 5S, and look far better than they originally did on the PS2.

The hardware in the Vita is underpowered compared with the 5C, let alone with the 5S. And while some other phones feature GPUs that are technically more powerful, they actually run games at lower frame rates, due to their need to power a larger and higher resolution display.

Perhaps your iPhone 5S is defective.

14. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Dragon Quest VIII

15. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    #15 goodboyback, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    San andreas is laggy on A7,I think it's pretty much common or it could be that you're unable to make out the laggy fps.If you play the ps2 version or any other non laggy game you would know what I'm talking about.Same is the case with Dragon Quest 8.

Bard's tale is not really a graphically intensive game so it runs smoothly and monster hunter is a psp port.

As far as vita is concerned,there's no comparison here Uncharted,Assassin's creed,Killzone look atleast 2-3 generations ahead of any ios game.

Resolution is not an excuse anymore not on a 5s anyway,The difference between a 5s and a vita in terms of resolution is minimal also the fact that Dq8 is running at a native ps2 resolution and still lags on it.

Raw power doesn't mean anything numbers don't matter when the experience is underwhelming.Whrn a 5s struggles with ps2 ports it's quite clear that it will never be able to run anything close to Vita quality ever,Any which way you can get a cheap android+vita and get all your bases covered instead of getting a 5s which fails to run old ports at even a baseline 30fps.

As far as my device is concerned oit's not defective those games I mentioned lag on pretty every 5s out there,Is your 5s able to run them at a smooth 30+fps?

P.s Vita is more powerful than a 5c/5 I think tato himself acknowledged that,5s is more powerful than vita but it's of no use when it can't run decade old ps2 graphics smoothly,Whereas many vita games look on par with ps3 games.

Show me 'one' game which looks better than the best vita has to offer.

16. kmacleod

Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    California
    San Andreas runs regularly above 30FPS on my 5S, as well as on my iPad Mini Retina, which has significantly more pixels to cover. Take it from someone who is sensitive to framerate. In fact, I originally stopped playing San Andreas on the PS2 years ago because I was frustrated by its poor framerate there. I've made it much further on the 5S version than I ever did on the PS2.

I wasn't being flippant when I suggested you might have something wrong with your iPhone. San Andreas really runs just fine for me. Do you have less than 2 gigs of space free? Are you jailbroken? Are you running beta software? Are you regularly connected to bluetooth devices? Have you tried restoring? Do you have poor cellular access? There are numerous ways to attempt to improve performance - a trip to the Genius Bar might be in order if you can't fix it.

Anyways I've found many Vita games that struggle to maintain a solid framerate, including (sadly) the ports of the Jak and Daxter series, which were some of my favorite PS2 games ever made.

I like the Vita. When it launched, it was ahead of its time, compared with the smartphones of the day. But unfortunately, the console model of "sell the same hardware for 7 years" puts the Vita at a disadvantage against Apple (and other mobile OEM) models of rapid iteration.

The Vita's developer tools have historically allowed game programmers to get closer to the GPU, and optimize things better than mobile development studios have traditionally allowed - that is why the average Vita game looks as good as it does on the hardware it has. With that said, Apple's new Metal API takes Apple further into the realm of what dedicated consoles can do.

As for specifics, I'd say the various Unreal Engine games on iOS can come pretty close to what the Vita can offer. Even some of the modern Unity games are pretty amazing. And looking at that new Zen Garden demo from WWDC gives me a lot of hope for what newer, Metal-powered games will be able to achieve.

17. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    #17 goodboyback, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    I'm surprised that it runs at 30fps+ on your device it crawls on mine barely hitting the 25fps mark most of the times,The game is spoiled because of poor framerate and the graphics aren't good either a number of shader effects like the glaze or shimmering of sun,Motion blur on nitros,Dynamic weather effects and many such effects are missing from it,I compared the two versions side to side just for kicks and the ps2 version still trumps ios version.

None,It was the firat game I installed on my factory 5s and it still lagged back then reinstallling and stuff didn't help.Then I found a similar thread here and most of the forum users were themselves complaining about the performance.

The problem I have is that native games lag oj my device too,Tasm2,godfire and they look woefully outdated in comparison to their vita counterparts i.e GOW and tasm on vita.I know the 5s is mkre powerful but if that doesn't equate to satisfying experience then it's of no use,Hell I was the one who created the graphics thread here so it's definitely dissapointing to me.

Like I said no game currently looks better than their vita counterpart,Metal will mkst likely be a 20% boost which will even then not be able to compensate for how ahead the vita is.
    Zen garden is noting impressive,It's just a house with some flower effects and such nothing the vita coudn't handle. An open world game which renders kilometeres of draw distance,geometry has dynamic lightning on 'every' object like assassin's creed doesn't exist on ios,nothing close.

I've tried hard to justify the purchase myself after a long introspection it's just a colossal waste of money for me.I've even posted ads on ebay hoping someone may buy it for around ~750$ or that range.

18. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Take a look at infinity blade 3 Or God of Fire on 5S! Games with a graphic's quality near a PS3.

19. goodboyback

Mar 30, 2014
    #19 goodboyback, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Noway near let's see(IB 3 is not even in question here,it's terribly limited rendering just 2 enemies and a bit of environment it's nothing to talk about)

GOW 4(left)-ps3
    GoW 2(right)-ps2
    Godfire(below)-5s

GOdfire not only looks worse than the ps2 version but it's noway near it in scale,Forget about ps3.

Attached Files: