When does Apple update New and Noteworthy?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by kolo, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kolo

kolo Active Member

Jan 17, 2011
    I've seen people say Tuesday and Thursdays.

Does anyone know the correct day/time?

Thanks,

Trey

2. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
  3. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Usually thursday,
    But around Xmas/ Holiday and stuff like that it's been tuesday on occassion...

4. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    if it's Thursday, when is the best day to launch so that it gets featured on Thursday? Some say Wednesday.

5. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    @metalbean
    you receieved some good replies in your own topic regarding this question, why are you asking again here?

The link posted by approcketeer was very interesting

[​IMG]

6. metalbean

Mar 18, 2012
    @nvx, u're right, somehow my mind just diverted to the other question on a separate post :)

7. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Best night to release is Wednesday night 12am..technically thursday I guess.

And the new and noteworthy list is updated Friday morning..
    I always check friday morning to see what's been featured.

8. metalbean

Mar 18, 2012
    Snozberry, where are you exactly?

I hear in China it's updated on Friday, and Thursday in U.S. But with a 10+ time difference between Beijing and U.S west coast, I suspect they are actually the same time.

9. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Later in the day on Thursday in the US.

But that chart that was posted makes me wonder - more games in the Top 240 were released on a Sunday. And not every game in the New and Noteworthy was released that Wed/Thurs - many were released earlier in the week.

This week's for instance MIB3 and Cuboid Free and Oh Cube were released nearly a week prior. Some of the games are only updates from the day or two before and in one case 8 days before (in other words not new but certainly noteworthy).

I think there is much more to it than just day of the week it is released.

10. Oddball91

Oddball91 New Member

May 26, 2012
    I was thinking the same thing. A lot of people are saying Thursday is the best, but then there is that study that showed Sunday is actually better. But I do agree, I think there is more to it then just day for the release.

11. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    It seems to me like you would want some room to get your users in your game and reviewing before thursday hit right? I mean if it comes out wed at midnight and they select on thursday, is your game really gonna get noticed?

Maybe I'm confused on how it works. But it seems like early week would be a nice time to release.

12. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I suppose its how you plan on marketing your app.

Many devs think they have one shot at release and if it's not discovered at that time the app will be a failure. This means, in order to jump up the ranking, they attempt to get on the new list, the new and noteworthy lists and display their own advertising all at the same time. This gives your game a huge boost in downloads all at the same time shooting your app up the charts (in theory).

If you stagger it, you'll be on the new charts Sunday (or the day you pick), then new and noteworthy (hopefully) on Thursday, and your advertisements whenever you want. Your downloads will be spread and neither will have as dramatic effect on your rank as everything laser guided the first day.

In my opinion, ultimately if your app is quality and your vocal enough about its release for people to notice the app, then you've got the same chance releasing on the Sunday or the Thursday of that week.

13. Ndemic Creations

Ndemic Creations Well-Known Member

Agree - with so many people trying to play the system - inefficiencies are going to be small / hard to exploit IMO