Rattling in 5th gen iPod touch?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ninjackid, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Hey guys, I've just noticed something with my iPod touch 5th gen. When I take the case off and tap the back under the camera, there's a little rattling sound. I've Googled it, and it seems it's a common sound that occurs in these new iPods, something to do with the autofocus.

Anyone else with an iPod touch 5th gen notice this?

2. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Is it like a problem that happens when you are playing, or just when you mess with it?

3. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    It just happens when I tap the back of my iPod near the camera, so it doesn't really bother me, I'm just hoping it's normal. :p

4. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    It doesn't occur on my iPod,so I can't testify this issue.

5. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    I'm sure it will not effect performance :). I wouldn't sweat it, but I would contact support. Just in case something does happen, you have a ticket to prove it wasn't from misuse. I'm sure you could also get a new one from manufacturing defect.

6. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Alright, yeah everything is still working fine, so hopefully all's good. Like I said, I googled it and there seems to be quite a few people experiencing the same thing, so it should be ok. Thanks!

7. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Mine did that too. iPhone 5 has it too.

8. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Yes it's the lens rattling, that's considered normal my iPhone 4S does that to

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010

Oh sweet, that's a relief! Good to know it's normal! Thanks guys!

10. Yeah, I read about it alot on different places. Was normal but irritating to many. Seems like it varied by unit, so returning it might help, but more than likely you would get one similar. But if it really bothers you, try returning it and getting one that doesn't. Or if you don't mind it, your touch should work just fine. It'll bother you less after time and normally you won't be tapping it anyway. But apple is fully aware of this, and they will probably help you get a unit that does't rattle as much. Maybe even the new builds may be made to rattle less since this was a common complaint.

11. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Hmm. Thanks man. I probably won't exchange it since it doesn't bother me that much, I was just kinda worried that something was wrong with it. Especially since I dropped it the other day. :p

But I heard the rattling since before I dropped it, so I think everything's alright.

12. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    Seems like a lot of people are having this problem, but it doesn't seem to affect performance. So I wouldn't worry about it.

13. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    Mine is fine-nothing wrong here

14. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    mine rattles too, still works though

15. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Mine rattles. It doesn't bother me and doesn't seem to affect anything, so I wouldn't worry about it.

16. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Alright, so I guess it's normal, I'm just paranoid, especially since I dropped it last week. :p