Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Borgqueenx Borgqueenx is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 550
Default Is infinity blade 3 really so big?

Im at the ark now. Other areas are really really small....there's only one path to chose at every location and thats it.
Will you unlock for example the whole vault of tears later or....?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2013, 04:01 PM
smegly smegly is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 790
Default

So unless you struggle with the concept of object permanence you've seen that it's a bigger game than its predecessors, yes?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Borgqueenx Borgqueenx is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
So unless you struggle with the concept of object permanence you've seen that it's a bigger game than its predecessors, yes?
If this is it, then the world is maybe double the world size. This is not how chair introduced the game.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Drummerboycroy Drummerboycroy is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maine!
Posts: 4,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
So unless you struggle with the concept of object permanence you've seen that it's a bigger game than its predecessors, yes?
Huh?

If a two-year-old was learning that the puppet still exists when it goes behind mom's back, sure, but...?

If IBI & IBII still exist even though you're not playing them, IBIII is somehow bigger?

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Piaget, but this conflation is a bit confounding...

DBC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
smegly smegly is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboycroy View Post
Huh?

If a two-year-old was learning that the puppet still exists when it goes behind mom's back, sure, but...?

If IBI & IBII still exist even though you're not playing them, IBIII is somehow bigger?

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Piaget, but this conflation is a bit confounding...

DBC
Five star response!

What I had in mind was something I don't remember the precise term for but was something in pre-operational thought that allowed children to accurately evaluate the size of something. That is to say, for example, that they'd be able to judge a cake's size three-dimensionally rather than by the area of one of its surfaces; kids love a square cake. While I think this is something that occurs later than object permanence, that's what sprung to mind as a cognitive marker. The kicker, however, is that I don't think most adults are very good at appraising size either.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM
kaibosh kaibosh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 574
Default

All my wut.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Bronxsta Bronxsta is offline
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
Five star response!

What I had in mind was something I don't remember the precise term for but was something in pre-operational thought that allowed children to accurately evaluate the size of something. That is to say, for example, that they'd be able to judge a cake's size three-dimensionally rather than by the area of one of its surfaces; kids love a square cake. While I think this is something that occurs later than object permanence, that's what sprung to mind as a cognitive marker. The kicker, however, is that I don't think most adults are very good at appraising size either.
Are you a psych major? Cause I'm a psych major and this is a great discussion. And yes, we've effectively derailed this thread
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Drummerboycroy Drummerboycroy is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maine!
Posts: 4,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegly View Post
Five star response!

What I had in mind was something I don't remember the precise term for but was something in pre-operational thought that allowed children to accurately evaluate the size of something. That is to say, for example, that they'd be able to judge a cake's size three-dimensionally rather than by the area of one of its surfaces; kids love a square cake. While I think this is something that occurs later than object permanence, that's what sprung to mind as a cognitive marker. The kicker, however, is that I don't think most adults are very good at appraising size either.
Now that actually makes more sense.

It's been a while since my adolescent development classes (oh God, has it been a while...), but I think you're referring to his theories on "Conservation?"

It's a bit of a stretch, but much more palatable than OP...

DBC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 AM
smegly smegly is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboycroy View Post
Now that actually makes more sense.

It's been a while since my adolescent development classes (oh God, has it been a while...), but I think you're referring to his theories on "Conservation?"

It's a bit of a stretch, but much more palatable than OP...

DBC
You're right. I was thinking of conservation. Not a very good term for the concept though, is it? That's why I forgot the name and chose a concept that I actually remembered that had a label that makes its meaning evident.

What's interesting about evaluating the size of a game is that it's more of a four-dimensional pursuit and therefore is derived from cues that can't be broken down into simple sensory input. So I don't think my mention of object permanence was that far off since most of a game's content exists entirely in a person's memory even when they are playing it. Probably the most frustrating inaccuracy I see people make is judging a measurably short RPG to be longer than a measurably long RPG on the basis that it was more possible to get lost in the short RPG. That's like saying Contra is a long game because some people just can't beat it in any amount of time.

As far as IBIII goes, it does have considerably more content than IBII does even if you fall prey to the illusion of scope caused by overlapping paths leading to up to a handful of events that take you back to the start. So, unless the format of IBII were to overwhelm someone with options, they should objectively be able to see the considerably larger scope of IBIII.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent