Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 06-24-2014, 02:18 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post
As for the plural... "most Lego fans" use "Lego" to refer to one OR more blocks? Really? Most? Most would say, "I have three red Lego left?" No.

You can say "I have three fish." Saying "I have three Lego" is ridiculous. I will continue to pluralize "Legos" according the predominant conventions of the English language (among others) and the actual habits of "most Lego fans." LEGO corporation's opinion on the matter will not influence me, and I don't know why they would even wish to change the use of a plural that has been used for decades and makes total sense
That's why plural is the wrong term. No one uses LEGO as plural. What people do do though is use it as a collective noun - so "this is my lego" not "these are my lego" or "these are my Legos".

And yeah it is opinion not supported but the company that LEGO can be used as a collective noun.

For what it's worth I think I know where Americans found the 'S' that they like to stick on the end of LEGO.

It's the one that belongs at the end of 'maths'.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:22 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
That's why plural is the wrong term. No one uses LEGO as plural. What people do do though is use it as a collective noun - so "this is my lego" not "these are my lego" or "these are my Legos".
Nope, LEGO claims people use it like fish or sheep, so these are my LEGO, like these are my sheep. Obviously wrong though, just like maths
Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Not that I care but the Lego argument reminds me of the GIF inventor trying to claim you pronounce it jif, to put it bluntly he doesn't have any say in the matter and as it's short for graphics interchange format using a j doesn't make the slightest bit of sense so I ignore it.

Lego, Legos to me either works but I will say legos is actually in the dictionary as a plural of Lego.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:57 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Lego is lego, lots of lego is still called lego

Maths is maths (not math)

Its like words like pneumatic where you dont pronounce the p. Its just one of those words where for plural you dont add an S, Lego is lego !
Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Maths is maths (not math)
Tsk tsk.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:31 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Lego, Legos to me either works but I will say legos is actually in the dictionary as a plural of Lego.
Not in The Oxford English Dictionary. That calls Lego a "mass noun".

(I do have a photo to prove it - but I can't get picture uploading to work in the Toucharcade app)