Great Idea to Bring in More Titles!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BulletDev, Oct 10, 2008.

1. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a great idea for getting more high quality apps on the store:

Allow Click-Wheel Games to be played on iPhone OS devices with a virtual click wheel as the input. Click Wheel game's logos could have a small click wheel on the corner to show what it is.

What do you think? It would be great for people switching from nanos/classics to iphone/touch.

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    How is this better than say a virtual D-Pad?

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    The emphasis is not on the virtual clickwheel, but on porting existing iPod classic games to iPhones.

4. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #4 BulletDev, Oct 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    Well the click wheel already has dozens of high-quality published games.

5. NJPodder

NJPodder Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    You are absolutely right. Why take games like Texas Hold'em, Vortex, etc. for the regular old iPod and make them better and more intuitive with touch and tolit controls, when we can just port them and charge you to buy them all again...? No-brainer if you ask me. Do you work for apple??

6. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I wish I worked for Apple, but I'm afriad the answer is no :)

7. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Thanks for clarifying that. But sitll, i've never heard of any "quality games" designed for old iPods.

8. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    haha well I liked some of them. $5.99 might be a little expensive for some but It was really worth it for Monopoly, Sonic, Mini Golf etc ect

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    For me, Sonic is definitely one. I'd pick Sony straight away if it's available for iPhone. But mind you, I only love the classic Sonic, not all the stupid 3d remake.

And one interesting thing is that the iPod classic and its variants have physical buttons, so in a way they're more suitable to platformers than iPhone with its frustrating virtual d-pad.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Of the games for click wheel ipods only about 12 are not available in the appstore. Of those 12 I know of 4 that are confirmed to be coming soon and 3 that have clones available.

the only ones I care about are Phase and Song Summoner but due to limitations placed by apple they aren't likely to come out at all

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I just had a look at the games available for iPod click wheel and there are indeed some interesting titles like The Sims Pool, Star Trigon, and even RPPG from Square Enix!!

They're all very polished and can easily beat most of the crapwares on AppStore. Will Square Enix ever release any decent RPG for iPhone? I sure hope so. The iPhone at the moment is lacking high calibre games.

12. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Star Trigon is already available in the App Store.

Song Summoner is the SRPG on ipods and the chances of it coming to the app store are almost zero. Apple won't let apps pull info from certain parts of the systems, the ipod part of the system included.

Hopefully, Square Enix will get generous and start porting some of their older rpgs and/or cell phonegames

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I hope so! FF, Dragon Quest, Twewy? :D

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I wouldn't like the idea of them selling these games to us in this form at all, but what I would really like is if you could play the games you purchased for a regular ipod, on the iPhone/iPod Touch via this method. I have 5 games from way back when and I wouldn't mind being able to play them again. I'd like to be able to play vortex, for instance. I think that game is solid. I wouldn't pay again for such a port, but I already have it and it would be great if I could play it.

15. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    This would be pretty cool. There are a couple of games I like that are for the Click wheel ipods. I think peggle, Sonic and Sims pool look good. But Im sure many will be ported like many already have been.

16. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    they have to do it sooner or later... i mean, they need to! i need to play my own songs in tap tap revenge, damn it...

17. daniglue

daniglue Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Honestly I don't think it's a "great idea". I more find it logic that the good click wheel games for iPod are going to be released for iPhone and iPod Tocuh.
    Of course I don't want a touchscreen click wheel :S

I more like to have some of those games, but better quality. That's a great logic idea and also what we have to hope.

18. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I mainly just want to use a touch-screen click wheel. For the novelty.

19. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Haha I doubt that will happen now. Four years ago when they were discussing this it seemed a possiblity. Today? No

Sorry you're a bit late to the conversation tisk tisk