Ossian Studios - The Shadow Sun Announced

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by simulated, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    It's been over two years since the last screenshots, too busy?! Come on....

Hmmm... Thanks!!

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Yea busy you know making a game. Its a small team so yea busy

3. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Wow, what a great argument, you got me, I give up...

4. Alan Miranda

Alan Miranda Well-Known Member

Luke gave an estimate based on what he knew of the project status at the time. As I wanted something added to the game to make it better, this resulted in additional time. Game development is a fluid process, so we can’t promise dates in stone; we can only do our best to estimate them for you.

We will not release any screenshots until we’re completely satisfied with all aspects of the game. I think I’ve mentioned this in a previous post, but the reason is that once we do, review sites will want more shots, more footage, more interviews, etc., and we will want to do our best to oblige them. It’s part of our plan. But that will be difficult for an indie like us to do until the game is mostly complete.

And in case you’re wondering, we DO check the TA forums on a regular basis, and will be active on them when we enter our marketing phase, through our release, and beyond.
    - Alan

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, I guess it's comforting to know that iOS gaming has it's very own The Last Guardian.

6. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Isn't that game cancelled? Then that belongs to IB dungeons....I say this is more like final fantasy versus

7. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    #507 MrSpud, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    You mean just like you started doing in Fall 2010?

Then what did happened during the last two and a half years, maybe nothing? Guess we'll never know, doesn't sound like you want us to know.

I never realized how difficult it is to take the time to post screenshots, answer questions and make videos. You obviously have much better things to do then preoccupy yourself with such tedious chores. I mean, I do it for free helping other indy developers out of the goodness of my heart but whatever...

You have failed to deliver your product on time more than once and never explained yourself. You certainly don't have to, you don't owe me anything, I'm just starting to wonder what exactly you're doing here beside telling us that there's nothing to talk about.

Best of luck with your game, I can't say I truthfully mean that because, you know, I'm not really sure it does exist.

8. Exactly my point... I've been following this thread for two years and I've gotten nothing but crap... When this game does come out good luck with ur sells because I'm not buying it... Congrats u just lost a dedicated follower who stuck with u through multiple false releases...

9. Luke Scull

Luke Scull Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Game Designer & Author
    Warminster, UK
    Alan's too polite to say it, so I will: some of you guys need to get a grip.

We suffered a 20-month delay with our last title where we did nothing but talk about the game prior to release until everyone was sick of hearing about it. As Alan said, if he post screenshots early here, every other site will start asking him for stuff. He then gets put in a position where he has to place his own critical tasks on hold, thus delaying the game further, or risk potentially alienating those sites by turning them down.

We screwed up with our 2010 announcement - that's been acknowledged, and now we move on. The last 2 1/2 years have been spent creating what we hope is one of the finest and most remarkable RPGs on the platform. Anyone who's ever attempted to develop a game with the quality and polish of a triple A title on an indie budget will understand the myriad of challenges and unexpected setbacks that entails. 95% of these projects either fail completely or fall well short. We're not going to do either. It's taken a lot longer than planned, but that isn't a situation that is unique to us. Just look at Blizzard.

Mr. Spud's earlier post is the perfect example of why it's better to keep quiet rather than providing well-intentioned estimates; get them wrong and someone will inevitably seize the opportunity to call you a liar and shit on you. This cycle is endlessly repeated on every developer forum in the land, with the same accusations, threats to not buy the game, and outright dickery, and the conclusion is always the same: It'll be done when it's done and no developer worth their salt is going to jeopardise their product to please some forum malcontents.

Speculating that the game is vapourware doesn't change the fact I have it sitting right here on my iPod.

10. Hound16

Hound16 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    You guys are taking your time to create a superior product? Good on you, keep at it.

11. Danz060391

Danz060391 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Piano teacher
    New Zealand
    Please Ossian stop teasing! Just one screenshot would be awesome, I feel like a little kid again waiting for Christmas Day. For the past 2 years I've been checking up on this game on a regular basis and its disappointing that there hasn't been any news.
    We all know that the game isn't complete and it's not the final product but I don't think 1 screenshot should be too much to ask for. I'm not going to keep asking for more, just 1 is enough for me to keep me interested after 2 1/2 years of waiting...

12. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    comparing to blizzard, once they announce stuff, they give updates on the game like screens or where the game is at, etc. They don't say stuff like "it's coming, trust us" or "it's sitting on my desktop" without any proof. There is still a chance that this is vapourware. On another note, HEY i have a Ferrari and a Lamborghini in my garage but i can't show you pictures of it cause it's night time or something...

13. Luke Scull

Jun 9, 2011
    Game Designer & Author
    Warminster, UK
    Posted late last year by me:

Nothing's changed except we're closer to the finishing line now.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The Last Guardian is not cancelled, but FF 13 Versus is another good example of a game that got everyone excited with early screenshots/video and then disappeared from the radar except for vague statements that "it's still being developed." There are others such as Beyond Good and Evil 2 and Prey 2. Unfortunately, none of those games (including Shadow Sun) can now live up to the anticipation they have generated.

As to whether TA members need to "get a grip," well, I guess that's a matter of opinion. It's not like this thread gets regular posts from folks demanding more information. In fact, I find the reaction rather muted considering that the developers have failed to follow through on pretty much anything they have stated.

Games get delayed all the time. But it is unusual for a team, no matter how small, to completely stonewall the same community that will most likely purchase their game. It's obviously their prerogative to do so, but as a marketing professional I can say that it's also very, very dumb.

15. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    #515 MrSpud, Feb 20, 2013
    Your original estimate was a late 2010 release, then the next year, then the year after... that's not a well-intentioned estimate, not even close.

Ossian studios has very poor social and marketing skills, so bad that I do agree you should have kept your mouth shut, you are your own worst enemy. Please consider hiring a professional PR that can do what you can't, like take the time to talk to us lowly forum users.

16. Nuke77

Nuke77 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    So last I heard, you guys were shooting for a possible March announcement of the game's release date with screens and what not...is this still your goal, or will it be later than that?

17. Luke Scull

Jun 9, 2011
    Game Designer & Author
    Warminster, UK
    #517 Luke Scull, Feb 20, 2013
    At no point has anyone intentionally provided a false release date estimate. Unfortunately, we lost several leads early in development and that had a major impact on our progress. We then realised we needed to add more features to make the game better. That isn't an unusual occurrence for any development team; when you're also an indie with limited resources determined not to compromise quality, the challenge becomes even harder. One year becomes two, and before you know it you're looking at three years. That's the nature of the proverbial beast. We're getting very, very close now.

I can assure you that Alan has impeccable social skills. Me, not so much. Truth be told, I'm an angry bastard. But when you make posts like this:

You're clearly trying to provoke a reaction. Don't start whining about developers lacking social skills when you wade in acting like a dick and accusing folk of being liars. I'm an independent contractor, not an EA drone.

I get that everyone's frustrated by the delay - none more so than members of Ossian, some of whom's livelihoods depend on this game being a success. I'll not comment on the marketing, as I have my own personal views on that, but let's at least wait until the game is released before passing judgment on whether or not it will meet expectations.

18. Luke Scull

Jun 9, 2011
    Game Designer & Author
    Warminster, UK
    #518 Luke Scull, Feb 20, 2013
    Given the discussion over the last couple of days I'm hesitant to answer this, but I would guess it might be a little later than that, though not by much. And that's only a guess. :)

On that note, I won't be posting here further until we have something concrete to discuss (screenshots, video, etc). It's counterproductive to getting the game finished - which despite all the negativity flying around is really what we all want, I would hope...

19. Luke Scull

Jun 9, 2011
    Game Designer & Author
    Warminster, UK
    Just as some final food for thought, Ossian's first game, Darkness over Daggerford, was developed under a blanket of silence for around 18 months. When it was finally unveiled (on the day of its release, no less!), it went on to break all kinds of download records. I'm not saying you're wrong or even that I'm fond of this kind of approach myself... but clearly that particular example contravened established marketing wisdom in no uncertain terms.

20. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Hi, dick here, nice way to talk to potential customers, thank you for proving my point.

You are correct, I am trying to get a reaction from you guys, and it's working. I got more info in the last two days then I got in the last two years. Sadly I had to corner you and expose your lies to do so but it works.

Anyway, you said we should get some info around mid-January, you failed, you should seriously consider stop posting anymore, now that you have sunk as low as insulting users, you are hurting your company and its image. I may have been blunt and rude but I never resolved to childish name calling.

Peace.