iPad Mini VS iPad Mini V2 (or Retina) - worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jorlen, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Hey guys.

So I purchased an iPad mini when they were on sale during new year's and I didn't think I'd use it as much as I do.

I was wondering if it's worth upgrading to the new Mini. I understand it has a higher resolution and a faster processor, but will I see a big difference in gaming? That is the primary use of my ipad mini - gaming. There are several articles on the net that speak of this, but not in the gaming-centric view.

I also find 16gb to not be enough so I'd get the Mini2 with 32gb for extra storage. The exchange would cost me around $300 which is quite a lot and why I'm wondering if it's really worth while...

Hopefully someone here can tell me of their own experience. I think the equivalent upgrade for full size models would be going from an Ipad 2 to the Ipad 4 (or ipad Air?)

2. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I don't have the original mini, but I know how incredible the mini with retina is. The processor is roughly 4x faster, the graphics are roughly 8x better, the screen is 4x better, and games will support it for a long time. I would recommend the upgrade.

3. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I've been using a mini since it's release and I'm not going to bother upgrading yet.. I happen to buy a MacBook Pro a few months before the retina version came out too, and the iPad 2 actually. I'm cursed. For some reason the gods don't want me to enjoy retina display.
    Except on my iPhone, which it can't even see much of a difference with anyway.
    In my opinion, it ain't worth it. Plus, isn't there a keynote coming up in February? If they announce iPad mini 2 with a ton of new features I may upgrade, but for retina alone? Hell no.
    When I was gifted my mini for my birthday I thought I'd never use it because I had an iPad 2, but my iPad 2 is basically in a coma now, the lightness is amazing, so if they made iPad 2 significantly lighter, I'd probably pick it up.
    And antibacterial glass.. (It exists..)

4. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have an iPad 2 3G and a retina iPad Mini LTE. I game almost exclusively on my iPad 2 as I find my rMini's screen too small.

In terms of games, my rMini runs everything I throw at it.

If you like the Mini's screen size, then go for the rMini

iPadwhoWillBeBuyingALargerWi-FiiPadToUseAtHome...

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Hrm, some good food for thought.

I didn't think the Mini Retina's CPU was 4X faster... Is this confirmed? The specs of the A7 look similar to the A5 to me, although admittedly I didn't look at any benchmarks.

I'm not really interested in a full size tablet, although the mini is sometimes tough to read some small text, but it's only a very small % of gaming. I love the weight and the size, it's perfect. A full size tablet is too big for me to sit and hold in my hand for an hour, but with the mini, it's no problem.

I was thinking about it and the cost ($300 or more) to upgrade is just too steep. Honestly had I known the Mini was this good I would have just payed more for the rMini at first. With so many debts, spending $300 on a gadget seems stupid, but damn me, I'm VERY tempted lol.

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Almost forgot.

Any incompatibilities between the ipad mini and new model (retina) ?

I've heard the iPad Air has some issues with apps when the other models do not, and I wasn't sure it was based on the new A7 processor, or other aspects of the air.

7. Alvil

Alvil Member

Feb 13, 2014
    India
    I think these 3 are enough to tell in any device that how gaming experience would be? or isn't it. Better Processor means it will be much smoother, graphics and better resolution means much clearer and realistic experience. Actually what i thought you are not able to decide that you should upgrade towards latest retina version or not. I would say definitely give it a try if you have some extra bucks to spend.

8. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    The retina iPad Mini is just basically an iPad Air shrunken down to iPad Mini size. The only differences are that it is clocked slightly slower than an iPad Air, which you have no interest in, so no issue, and it loses between half an hour to an hour of battery life compaired to the iPad Air.

Your iPad Mini (based on iPad 2) is three generations behind the retina iPad Mini (based on iPad Air.

Because: iPad 2 then iPad 3 then iPad 4 then iPad Air.

9. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I had someone offer me $30 less than I paid for my mini (that includes taxes) and I just couldn't pass that up.

So I did end up getting the Retina model, 32gb (16gb isn't enough for premium games) and now, I am really blown away. The screen resolution on this thing is amazing. Best screen I've ever seen on any device, specially one this portable. And the games. Wow. Iesabel ran like crap on my old mini, but on this, it's perfect.

Glad I did it. It was worth the upgrade cost.

10. twenty6868

twenty6868 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2014
    ipad air is the best. I have one.

11. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Mate, give me your address so I can post you a gold medal for such a brilliant comment. Your wisdom is boundless, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I was lucky enough to get a Mini Retina through work recently... Having loved my iPad 2 since I got it (it still gets used daily, albeit mostly for netflix/sky news) the mini has been something of a revelation... Of course, the retina is a huge bonus over my iPad 2 screen, but I'm more impressed with the portability. It's small enough to use on public transport without feeling like a complete tool, and I can type on it so easily.

Mine is only 16gb, but for free, who am I to complain?! :)

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree the reviews by twenty6868 are brilliant ;)

Agree with you about the ipad mini, i dont like playing games on my ipad on the train etc, specially tilt type games as i look really stupid. Very tempted by the ipad mini 2

13. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    How do you type on your retina iPad Mini? The on screen keyboard is so cramped that it reminds me of typing on my Toshiba Libretto, only I could actually feel the keys on my Libretto so my accuracy rate was higher.

That is my major complain about the iPad Mini series... Love the weight, but it could be lighter. 240g will be ideal.

14. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I type usually in portrait, tho find landscape almost as comfortable, certainly serviceable. Split keypad, thumbs either side works great for me, I'm doing that right one as it happens. It isn't great, but probably is very noticeable for anyone who's come from typing on a larger iPad.

Also, I have a £2.50 rubber sleeve for it, bought on Amazon, that really helps add some grip etc.

15. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    You won't regret it if you do get one. :)

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I think the wife would seriously give me some damage if i buy an ipad mini, as i've got an ipad 3 64 gig, ipod touch, iphone 4s and an Android tablet ! Still tempting though !

I'll have to use your excuse 'oh work gave us one...' ;)

17. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I continue to be super-impressed by this piece of technical marvel.

I thought I might have buyer's remorse, but no. None of that.

This thing rocks. I still can't believe they crammed a 2048x1536 screen in 8 inches. And the power of this A7 and how well it runs puts all my other tablets and android phones to shame.

18. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Why do you have an iPod Touch since you already have an iPhone?

19. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Lol I know exactly what you mean. Whilst I'm not married, I'm constantly trying to sneak new bits of technology in without my gf realising! She's really taken to this mini though, installing all her favourite apps etc and calling it "her iPad"... The only plus with all this is that it might just soften the blow when I buy an xbox one!

The mini really was a gift btw :)

20. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    For those who have had both a Mini and a regular size iPad, which do you prefer for gaming overall?