Universal Canabalt (by Semi Secret Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by costanza, Oct 2, 2009.

1. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #561 DaveMc99, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    #29 Top Game

[​IMG]

2. Happy Noodle Boy

Happy Noodle Boy Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    #562 Happy Noodle Boy, Oct 14, 2009
    I can't think what "content" could be added to this game. Any addition to the gameplay would overcomplicate an oversimplified concept and any additions/changes to the graphics/settings would just take away from the setting of the game. Maybe add more stuff in the background as you go farther like the mothership you can see when you hit 4,000-5,000.

Considering the dev already mentioned (in this very thread) that he's not planning on doing a price drop burnout sale, I wouldn't count on it. The game sells itself at $3. Everyone with an iPhone or iPod Touch I know who's played the game on my phone immediately buys it.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Seems the market does agree. ;)

4. bryanmitchell

bryanmitchell Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    This game is awesome. I can't wait until everyone is complaining that Geared 2 is $2.99 :) I hope Canabalt never drops in price.

5. minga

minga Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    omg didnt realise this game requires 3.1! cant play til i upgrade lulz

6. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Can you post here after you have submitted the update but before it gets approved? If you have added something I don't like and I update you have ruined the game for me. I like it as it is and updating is putting a lot of trust in you (as with all updates to all games) and I've been switched off a few games now where a game has "been improved" and yet for me it has taken away that "something" which made it fun. And please don't add "Post to twitter! MySpace! Facebook! Everywhere else on the next for cheap publicity".

7. bryanmitchell

Apr 18, 2009
    #567 bryanmitchell, Oct 14, 2009
    What if you just don't update the game on your device?

8. p0rtalthinker101

p0rtalthinker101 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    #568 p0rtalthinker101, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    I think updates will be rad. Plus facebook integration will he cool as well.

Suggestions:

Sometimes when I get a new highscore I'm not near wifi so I can't submit to Twitter. Think you (the devs) could add a button for Twitter in the highscores tablet so I can submit my highest score then?

An option to go back to the menu when you die.

More types of buildings: slanted buildings; telephone lines (they could jiggle when you jump on them); multable platforms levels you can take, etc.

The ability to double jump?

Early in the game, when you jump into buildings make their enterances wider, but the farther you go, the less wide they become.

Achievements:
    Tired: run for 1000 meters.
    Exhausted: run for 5000 meters.
    Runner: run for 10,000 meters.
    Scared shitless: run for 50,000 meters.
    Decomposed: (hide the way to get it) turn into a fine mist.
    Jump, push, fall theory: (hide the way to get it) get to the next building without jumping.
    Tripper: run into a succesion of 15 boxes without missing one.
    Faster: gain 1,000 meters in 30 secs by running really fast (give or take something like that).
    Blind as a bat: fall off a crumbling building without hitting the edge of the next building or having it fall before you reach the edge.
    No bread crumbs for you: scare away 5 flocks of birds in one game.

BTW has the dev posted in this thread yet?

9. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Tried doing that? Apple don't want you to do that so they don't let you opt an app out. Looks like I'll be screwing around with backups then.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've done it plenty of times... go to the updates page, check each apps update notes, if they're good click "update" if they're not... don't.

11. bryanmitchell

Apr 18, 2009
    Yah... you just don't hit update...

12. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Which is a PITA when you have several you do not want to update because of the "enhancements to the social experience" they have chucked in.

If it was an 'Ask once' then disappear into some option buried well away from view that would be great. But usually it's some huge "FACEBOOK!" button because they want the exposure there and want it every time.
    I bought an ipod touch, not a facebook advert machine.

I'll say it yet again - I bought a game. If that has bugs then fixing them is great. But if fixing bugs comes with the damn FB and Twitter junk then looks like I'm stuck with bugs.

The extension of all this will be Open Feint, Plus+, Facebook, Twitter, Digg, Share This and all the other networks. And the fun will really start when a dev wants to remove a button. Has anyone done any research on if those buttons drive sales? If not why add them? Something like Canabalt wins because of how the whole thing looks. It would look supremely out of place to have FB or Twitter buttons there.

13. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
    Nice suggestions.
    And yes the dev did post on this thread. He also posted about improving the game with more future updates. Here is his profile
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/member.php?u=6894

14. thegamerocks06

thegamerocks06 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Student
    India
  15. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    Thats whats so cool about the twitter button; its got the look of the game on it.

16. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    Cool. can't wait for that. I'm pretty hooked on it now :)

17. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    so just bug fixes in this update

What's new
    bugfixes - online leaderboards still to come!

18. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    Funny; I never encountered any bugs while playing the game :-//

19. ThatRevChap

ThatRevChap Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    I had a bug. I changed my Twitter account in the game and it still posted to the old account - even after deleting and reinstalling the app, somehow. The new version posted to my new Twitter account when I tried, so that bug's fixed.

20. p0rtalthinker101

Jul 31, 2009
    Washington State
    Ah. Worked fine for me since I only have one Twitter account :-||