Console quality experience

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Solidfart, Nov 23, 2012.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I don't know if it was mentioned but shadowgun is up there with gears of war on terms of graphics.

2. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    This thread is destined to start arguments because there's no clear definition of "console quality", but I'll just give my opinions on the matter.
    If we're aiming for PS3 and 360 level quality then there absolutely hasn't been and won't be for a long time any iOS game of that level of quality (unless you count the crappy PS3/360 games, which throws the whole scale off). We're just so far off from that, so more realistically I think we're aiming more towards handheld consoles like PS Vita, or at most games that at least get close to home-console quality.
    I included GTA 3 not because it was ported from a console, but because it feels like a complete game. There's a TON of content, great music, voicework, and gameplay, easter eggs and more. The same can't be said for NES games. In modern times they don't feel "console quality", but I feel GTA 3 does.
    True, but they all technically made to consoles and faired fantastically. On a mobile platform this makes them all the more valuble. Again, they're all very complete and had a lot put into them to make them so great (though Incoboto barely made it on my list. It severely lacked content, dropped off toward the end, and lacked a personal touch.
    Yeah... as you saw I was reluctant to add it to my list because of its more casual approach to the title but I still stand to defend the fact that it is console quality. Ubisoft might have been able to pull of a full port of Rayman Origins, but chances of that are slim. If they had, I know SOMETHING would have gone wrong, most likely with the controls. I feel for what it is, they did a great job making a Rayman game work on a touch platform and you can tell they worked hard to do so. It's not the same kind of game as Rayman Origins-its more of a speedrun game, and Ubisoft worked with that. The level design is phenominal, as is the responsiveness and controls. It could have used a bit more content though, and maybe a slight storyline.

In the end I can't argue with your opinions. Again, we don't have a definite idea of what "console quality" truly is on this mobile platform. I don't really see it as just games ported from consoles-and I'm sure you don't either. I find it to be defined by the content, effort, experience, and gameplay options.

3. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    First, you need to improve your grammar because its a little bit hard to understand.

There are some MOBA games like Awesomenauts, DC Universe Online, etc. for consoles. Most of these types of games are on PC though like League of Legends and DOTA (which have console quality).

To me, the controls in HOC are just ok, its way easier to use a mouse and keyboard. It needs to take advantage of multitouch gestures and even then, its still kinda hard to play.

Secondly, Oh wow...IGN rated the game good so it must be good. No you can't play GBWG on consoles or pc but you can play better RTS games on them like Halo Wars or C&C.

What do you mean no device is perfect for "deep games"? Consoles and PC both are great for games like Skyrim, Assassins Creed, Dishonored, etc. What is the other alternative to consoles and PCs? They were build for gaming.

Also you last comparison makes no sense whatsoever.

4. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    This.

You just can't call it console quality, iOS and console/pc are just not on par.

It might look good for a mobile device, play good on a touchscreen, and be priced at $0.99 but comparing to what consoles can handle is just foolish.

People say NOVA 3 is console quality but then you look at Halo 4. $7 vs $60 (you pay for what you get).

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I predict MC4 will have console quality multiplayer. NOVA 3 already does. Console quality AAA campaign and script? Not a chance.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is why I don't like the term. It could mean so many different things, yet to try and pin it down to something specific reveals flaws and exceptions. In the end it has no impact on whether a game is good or not, so if I had my way people just wouldn't say it. There are fantastic games on both platforms. They're not the same, but they're not supposed to be.

7. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    agree with this

8. I am thinking about making my new ipad into a console by getting the hdmi cable connection and using joypad on my iphone 4.

And playing games like Mikey shorts, infinity zone, and silverfish max on my bigscreen tv.

Will this work ok? Anyone try it yet?

And will other games like Asphalt 7 or others work ok even without joypad? Some games would probably be unplayeable this way cause you would have to look directly at the ipad for its controls, but I figure many probably would play fine.

Now, not saying this would be close to a ps3, bu at least this would be fun to try out. Anyone recommend this before I spend the money on an hdmi cable and ipad connection kit? Is it worthwhile?

9. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Ok when I created this thread, I should have somewhat define what console-quality should be. I suppose any game with great graphics and provide a full and complet experience without limiting the player/or gameplay.

The infinity blade series would not qualify as it is on rails which is a limit no longer found on console games. Angry birds would also not apply as its a mini game. But games like Fifa13, Dead Space, Bastion, NFS MW and even Nova (still don't digg controls) I certainly consider console quality as they are as close to a full console game as possible. Heck even china town, with it's cell shaded top down graphics have more deph and fun than a whole lot of current console games. Too bad Rockstar refuse to update the game in like 3 years. And when it comes to Bastion, I think it's a perfect 1:1 port exactly how it is on the 360. Also from the look of the previews for MC4 and RR3, these games will also be on equal foot to a console experience.

Truth be told there are certain series I refuse to play on my 360 but gladly embrace on my iPhone. FIFA is one and street fighter is another. I find the console versions of these games too complex while the iOS counterparts to be just right. Finally let's be honest here, if EA wanted to have the full NfS:MW version on IOS, we would have it. Because we all know the iPhone5 and iPad 2 n 4 could handle a full free roam city.

10. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #50 violentv, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    The iOS device HDMI adapters are always sold out where I live . Been meaning to try out something like that too(not for gaming though! I think Planetary will look awesome on a large screen).. I have however, tried some desktop apps that allows for airplay on the PC's screen..perhaps you can try them out 1st before making a decision. Besides the control issue you anticipated..there are also annoying black bars as the resolution of all iDevices (besides the iphone 5) stick to the 4:3 aspect ratio,

http://www.airserverapp.com/ (7 days free trial)

"AirServer also supports up to 16 simultaneous iOS device connections. This means you can turn any existing iOS game into a new multiplayer experience. "

rather interesting eh ? The app I tried out was a different one though: iDemo and I wasn't very impressed by it.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Especially Mass Effect: Infiltrator. Sure, it's nice graphics wise, but the gameplay is circa inevergaveadamn.

when will we see more games that push the boundaries AND deliver deep, meaningful gameplay? When Apple builds in a microSD card slot so we aren't so hampered by storage space. Which will be never, since Apple makes 100 bucks on a 16 gig increment. And maybe even 8 gigs, not sure if they make those devices anymore. If I ever move to Android or Winphone, that will be one of the main reasons.

I've lost so mich game progress do to space considerations it's ridiculous, especially when combined with the grind-if you don't buy-iap models of many games.

I pretty much quite buying 1 gig games. I'm sure many have. And publishers will look at that and produce less. Endless cycle, yada yada.

12. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    And you can play MUCH deeper TBS games on a PC.

13. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Let's go through that list again, shall we?

horn - Just no. Put it side by side with Skyrim and tell me if you still think it's console quality
    TDKR - How is it compared to Arkham City? Arkham Asylum? Yes, not verry well.
    Dead Trigger - It's like Call of Duty Zombies, but less fun and with less personality. And Call of Duty zombies isn't even a full console game.
    Wild blood - I don't know much about that genre of games on both iOS or Consoles/PC, so let's skip that one
    Shadowgun deadzone - Haven't played it, but being a basic shooter with basic rpg (leveling up) elements doesn't make a game console quality
    LILI - YOU CAN PICK FLOWERS OFF MONSTERS HEADS! TAKE THAT, HALO, ASSSASSINS CREED, AND ALL YOU OTHER GAMES!
    NFSMW - Compare it to the REAL NFS MW. The mobile version is not console quality.
    Real Boxing - Never heard of it, couldn't care less about boxing.
    GOF II HD - A game in a genre that (unfortunately) doesn't have many games, so it's hard to compare. GOF II HD was undoubtedly a great iOS game at the time, but it still feels rather basic and repetetive.
    Bladeslinger (not used to its control though) - Haven't played it. Doesn't look verry interesting.
    machinarium - Haven't played it, but this type of game would be/is a downloadable game, so yeah.
    rock(s)rider - Never heard of it.
    virtua tennis challenge - Haven't ever played it. I doubt it's as good as the latest Virtual Tennis game on a console (which I haven't ever played either).
    Nova 3(not 1, not 2) - Is it anywhere near as good as say Halo 4? I doubt it.
    MC3(not MC1) - The MC series is probably a good example for how close to console quality iOS games will get. Still, doesn't quite reach that level. (Worse singleplayer, multiplayer missing some things)
    dead space - Compare it to Dead Space. The original Dead Space is way better.

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Funny that you have to compare them to consider their "potential" to be console games.

Funnier, you have to compare them with hallmark and premiere titles.

You didnt consider games like Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor and NeverDead on the 360? Oh and i though even Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City on the PS3 was plain awful and was a shame to the RE library.

15. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

You didn't consider that I might be a PC gamer.

And if you want to compare iOS games to bad Console games, why not compare the bad iOS games to the bad console games? There are tons of terrible games for both!

16. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    #56 Stranded87, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    Yeah many of the arguments seem to be because people have different interpretations of 'console quality'. If we're talking your definition of console quality I would say there are few if any iOS games that manage it. To begin with very few even come close to PS3 or 360 graphics (hell not many even compete with Vita graphics) and most of the better graphic games in my experience seem lacking in content and/or suffer from gimped controls.

Compared to Vita or 3DS it fares a lot better than compared to 360 or PS3 (which perhaps isn't a fair comparison anyway, but is the first one that comes to mind for me when someone says 'console quality'). But even then there aren't a huge number of games that compete in terms of graphics, gameplay and content all in one package.

If we're just talking deep, full featured games, then yes there are quite a few, though many of them are ports and in most cases don't have 'console' standard graphics, so can't really be considered console quality.

All of this is fine though, because the gaming ecosystem on iOS is very different to any other gaming device. There's an enormous selection, everything is instantly available as a download and the prices are generally far lower.

Some of the best games ever made have been ported to iOS as well (the world ends with you, the last express and soon baldur's gate). All of them to my mind are 10/10 games and the fact that they're ports of old games takes nothing away from them. They're not 'console quality' as I would interpret it and they're not exclusives but they're still some of the best games ever.

Plus as has been said there's a lot more to an iPad/Pod/Phone than just gaming.

I consider my iPad to be the best portable console ever- and I say that owning a Vita, DS, Nexus 7 and PSP and having previously owned other handhelds, but availability and pricing of games are a big part of my preference for iPad- so even when comparing to portable consoles I still don't think much of what's on offer is necessarily the same quality.

It certainly doesn't have 360, PS3 or even particularly Vita quality graphics and I still consider the 360, PS3 and especially PC to be better gaming devices. Not just because of their superior graphics, not at all in fact, but just because the average quality of games is a lot higher and despite having a lot less games (in the case of PS3 and 360 anyway) they also have a lot more essential ones.

But those games cost a lot more too, and you can't play them on the train, so whatever.

TLDR: iPad/Pod/Phone do not provide console quality experiences, whatever that means, but that's okay.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Yeah... it's how each one interprets the term "console quality."

I for one am just looking at the "potential" of these iOS games if they were recreated (not ported) into consoles.

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm genuinely interested to read lists by people who don't own or play consoles, detailing what they think comes close to console quality on iOS. I don't know if any of the people who posted so far fit into that criteria, but I do know a few people who hadn't played a console game in close to ten years, only to get back into them recently and have their minds absolutely shattered by the experience. For some reason I'd always sort of assumed that even people who don't play consoles -basically- know what the games are like, but it seems a lot of them actually have no idea.

19. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

I have Airserver. Mirrors my screen to laptop which I connect to TV via HDMI. Only a tenner and works a treat. This helps to make iOS devices more console like.

20. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    But the games you're playing still won't really be console quality.