Now available- Flickitty 1.05- WITH MAP EDITOR!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Flickitty, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #1 Flickitty, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

Flickitty 1.05 been approved and is now available in the App Store. Our approval record is actually pretty good at this point considering the substantial changes we make with each update.

* Mini Game- Snowball Challenge
    * In-Game Map Editor
    * Holiday Elite Hat
    * Elite Hats now have map/player modifiers
    * Breakable Tiles
    * Keys and Locked Tiles
    * Coin Collecting
    * Vending Machine (dispenses map/player modifiers)
    * Weather Effects
    * New Items and Objects

The Map Editor User Manual has been posted here.

What is Flickitty?- Flickitty is an Adventure/Platformer with Swipe Controls, Full Physics, Ragdoll and Puzzle/Dexterity elements. Did we mention it has a Map Editor built into the game?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maps cannot be shared with others at this time. We need to get an idea of how much or little the editor is used before enabling such a huge feature.

We are accepting new ideas for Flickitty 1.06, including modifiers, world objects/items, hats, elites etc.

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Wow, there's alot of new features and content this update! Thanks alot, I'll post back with my thoughts after playing:)

3. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't see any way to access the map editor. I beat the snowball challenge to unlock everything, but I still don't see it in any of the menus. Help?

4. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #4 Flickitty, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
    This is an example of how to unlock the map editor for the Mines (the easiest):

1) Enter the Mines.
    2) Complete ALL THREE TASKS with a perfect score (no penalties).
    3) Open the Map Menu.
    4) Tap the mining car AT THE TOP of the map.
    5) A new button will pop up in the top left screen that says EDIT.

5. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wow, the update is excellent. The artwork is simply fantastic. Is it safe to assume that the image of the cat will return to the icon after the holidays? I like the cat on the icon. It easily identifies the game for me. I wish you plenty of sales as this game deserves to be recognised for excellent content.

6. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    We aren't sure of the fate of the icon. It will change after the holidays, but we aren't sure what it will be. I personally like the icon, as do hundreds of other people.

But I think we've learned that our icon may be hindering us in the upper end of the charts. I wish Apple provided us with with stats like 'Number of Page Views' of our App Store page. That would give us a hint at how well our icon and page info is working.

We need two things right now:

1) We need feedback from real players. If unlocking the Map Editor(s) is too difficult, we need to know. I can adjust the unlocking, but I don't want to make it a free-for-all. People need to learn to play the game before messing with the editor.

2) We need people to talk about Flickitty and we need new players. As it is, I can't continue to update at our current sales rate. Right now, DLC is our only viable alternative, and I really don't want to go that route.

7. DaniK094

DaniK094 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Don't understand the locks and keys

I am so excited that the update came out because I just think this is such a fun game and Flick is so adorable! I'm just not sure what the lock and keys are all about. How do you get a key? Does it have to do with recompleting all the tasks again? Just wanted to find out if there is something I'm missing. Also, it seemed like there was no way to exit the map editor without leaving the game and reopening it, but maybe I missed something here too. Congrats though - such an amazing game - the controls, graphics, music, and concept are all top notch!

8. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    First of all, thank you for writing. This is feedback I can use. It seems I need to explain things a bit better in the game.

There is one lock per map and one key per map. They are always in the same place when you start the map. The key usually unlocks a room that contains a lot of coins (about 10 or so).

If you have the Halloween Elite Mask, you can wear that to get a wider view of the map, making it easier to find things (like keys). You can also buy a Telescope with Flickitty coins from the vending machine to get a wider view.

The Map Editor can be exited by pressing the 'Test' button on the first screen in the toolbar. That will automatically save and put Flick into your new map.

9. Blueseas25

Blueseas25 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Odd, for someone who says "I don't respect TA nor its reviewers", you sure are eager to post your crap here :rolleyes:

10. Ben!

Ben! Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I don't remember him saying that. If he did, I suspect it was due to the issue of asking for payment for reviews. A legit enough reason. It doesn't change the fact that the community here is fairly active so it makes sense to post here.

P.S. Anybody who tries to bolster their point by throwing an eye-roll emoticon at the end sucks. Just saying.

11. DaniK094

Nov 1, 2009
    Well, I bought the telescope and looked all around two levels. I still saw no sign of any keys. I saw what they look like in the pictures you posted and also noticed that some of the new items/debris that are shown floating around in your pictures do not show up either. Do you need the elite hat to find these keys? I also noticed in the picture you posted that shows the key sitting next to the lock that there was also a wheel. So I went to that map and clicked on the wheel task thinking maybe you have to be on a certain task to find the keys, but that didn't work either. I'm sure I explored the level enough also because I flicked around it for quite a while.

Also, on a more general note, I just wanted to say that I think it's very unfortunate that Flickitty isn't getting the sales it needs for you to continue updates in the future. I'm actually mad at myself that I got it while it was free because I feel bad that I didn't pay! And that's saying a lot for an app. But I will say that I did know about it for a while and I'm trying to put my
    finger on why I never purchased it in order to help feedback-wise. I think the concept is so unique that there is no way to really understand what you're buying until you actually buy it so maybe people aren't taking the time to play the free version. I somehow missed the free version or I would have definitely purchased this a while ago. I know the game isn't very long, but I don't see how that would prevent people from buying it. I think it would be really popular with younger kids and I'm not sure that is portrayed in the description in the AppStore. People want apps that will keep their kids busy and this is definitely one of those apps. Also, the parents will probably end up enjoying it too, which would help the buzz about the game. Anyway, those are just some of my ideas. I never get this involved in an app, but no app I have is this polished so I really felt it deserves my feedback.

12. DaniK094

Nov 1, 2009
    Ok, I just figured out you have to recomplete all the tasks in a world to not only make the keys appear, but to also make the new floating debris appear. Whether they have to be completed perfectly or not I don't know because I just made sure I didn't get any penalties.

13. DaniK094

Nov 1, 2009
    Nevermind...I tried recompleting the tasks in some other worlds and it didn't seem to work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

14. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    That is really odd. I'll look into it.

For now, you can try resetting the objects. Go into the 'Options' Menu and check 'Reset Objects'. Go to the map menu and choose any other map (except the one you are currently in). After you respawn in the new map, go back to the map menu and choose the previous map.

All objects should be reset, including the spawn of new objecs. This shouldn't be necessary, but I may have overlooked something.

15. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    1.06 submitted, with possibility of a sequel coming soon. One of my favorite games gets revisited. :)