The iPhone 4 is CRIMINALLY underrated and a great handheld gaming system.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Tirriou, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Tirriou

Tirriou Member

Sep 10, 2010
    New York
    It is obvious from other gaming forums that the iPhone is often ridiculed as a portable gaming machine. I believe that assumption to be erroneous. The following is a repost of a message I conveyed on another forum.

-Fair prices for games, generally ranging from $.99 - $6.99, sometimes up to $ 12.99 (Square releases, of course).
    -Graphics that are probably at a similar level to the 3DS, and the resolution is a lot better due to the Retina display.
    -The touch screen is responsive, and online multiplayer combat in Dungeon Defenders, Nova 2, Modern Combat 2, etc show that touch controls are not difficult to master.
    -There are FREQUENT sales, with games typically off 33%, 66%, or even for free!
    -You can listen to music at the same time as you game in most instances, or even talk on the phone and pretend to listen when your mom is calling you!

Many gamers' anti-iPhone stances are both anti-Apple and based on the preconceived notion that because there are no physical controls the game must be either difficult to control or dumbed down, which has been proven not to be the case.

The app store is full of fantastic games that are all under $9.00, most hovering around $1.99. They all control well and are intuitive:

Chu Chu Rocket (full port)
    Infinity Blade (better looking graphics than anything the Wii has put out)
    Soosiz (Mario platformer)
    Plants versus Zombies (more fun with touch controls)
    Monkey Island Games (the recent remakes, with full ability to switch between remake and classic graphics)
    Monster (a personal favorite, overlooked. Similar to Plants vs. Zombies but much more active, with full shooting and swiping mechanics. Download it !)
    Spider (unique platformer, gorgeous to boot)
    Doom
    Secret of Mana
    Nova 2
    Shadow Guardian
    Modern Combat 2 (Note: Gameloft's "remakes" are professionally done, technically apt and with great graphics and lots of content. The dev teams are working wonder with the hardware and produce some magnificent looking games. 5v5 competitive gameplay is also found within the latter two titles. Some say they may lack 'soul', but I personally enjoy the B-grade dubbing and silly humor.)
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (full port of PSP version, BETTER music)
    Osmos (cool physics based puzzler. Look into it)
    Doodle Jump
    Death Worm and Super Mega Worm
    Sonic 4 (Fun game, I bought it for $2.99 during a special sale and I found it worth the purchase. Not worth more than $5.00 though)
    Undercroft (deep, long, and HARD dungeon-crawler, with stunning retro graphics and design)

Also, a special shout-out to Atomic Web Browser, it is $.99 but allows full tabs, full screen options, opacity of buttons, touch gestures, and importing of bookmarks. I can go on NGG, Reddit, Facebook, Gawker, etc while commuting to work and look up guides for the games above!

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    #2 K?!, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    I can not wait to see how this works out. Do you know who Omega-F and GDSage are?

3. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Double post, sorry.

4. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    y'all ready fo this? "da da da da da da da da HEY!"

sorry, I had to...

5. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #5 Omega-F, Jan 14, 2011
    When you start listing ports from ooooooold games, C caliber games and Gameloft clones, you know you made an argument suicide. I mean listing Mega Worm, Nova, Shadow Guardian, Soozis as examples of "fantastic games"? C'mon, you can at least try.

The iDevices are good gaming platforms for what they are. But it's just doesn't make any sense for a gamer who looks for deep, immersive experieces with top quality gameplay (such as myself) to compare it to dedicated systems.

But if you truly enjoy your iPhone games, and not pretend to just like them, good for you!

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #6 backtothis, Jan 14, 2011
    I haven't touched my ps3 or psp since I got my itouch 2 years ago^, so no I don't pretend to like the games on the idevice. I would prefer to play one of my 600+ paid games on my iPod touch than sit down in front of my tv any day. I own many recent ps3 pickups since my brother still plays the ps3, and I don't see anything wrong with the OP including gameloft games on his list. I would rather play MC2 or Nova2 online than Black Ops multiplayer.

It's all preference, but I consider the idevice to be my favorite gaming device. It meets honestly every gaming need, and there are plenty of deep experiences in my opinion. This is coming from someone who grew up playing consoles..from the gameboy color to the ps3, owning every device by nintendo and sony in between. I completely agree that the idevice is terribly underrated and overlooked.

7. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Wow. I myself used to be an avid pc gamer, but ever since I got my itouch I rarely ever touch the computer anymore. Whenever I get a new game then yes, I play it but in the end it's always back to my good ol iPod.

8. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    You find Nova2 more compelling than Black Ops. Ok..........

That's great, right? Like I said, if you truly enjoy the experience and not "pretend", then that's all that matters.

9. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    >Graphics that are probably at a similar level to the 3DS

Are you kidding me? The iPhone graphics is way better than the 3DS.

iPhone: A4 (up to 1GHz) processor, 512MB RAM
    3DS: 266MHz processor with 64MB RAM

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    More compelling, but I am definitely not saying it's better. Don't get that out of what I said. I just can't find the time to sit down and play a console. On my iPod, I can grab some quick fps action with Archetype, MC2, or Nova 2 online when and where I want. Fragging noobs on Nova 2 in the middle of AP Biology is quite fun. Being a second semester senior in high school, I'll be doing that more often these days. The one thing that I do find superior on an idevice fps is the controls. Being able actually swipe the screen and aim feels so much more precise to me than dual sticks on a console controller. Once again, that's that just preference.

11. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    The ipodtouch is portable and easy to pick up and play. The graphics arn't anything to complain about and control wise its only bad depending on the game. It has great tower defence, puzzle, racing, fps, rpg, adventure, platforming and arcade games. With devs updating their games all the time. Because of its touchscreen and gyroscope many games are possible.

12. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #12 Omega-F, Jan 14, 2011
    lol.

I find hilarious to see iFans talking about graphics.

13. tantrikninja

tantrikninja Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #13 tantrikninja, Jan 14, 2011
    We do now. Thnks for the heads up tho.

Good call I must say. It's almost like you saw tht coming. .

Oh- and I agree with the whole can't be bothered to sit in-front of console vs the supreme omni-playability of idevice anytime anywhere faction of this post. I mean my PS3 is gathering dust and the wii controller always needs a recharge by when I have time to even bother with them. But on this subject of graphics limitations and stuff - i did get back to my PS3 just to see what I might be missing viz. more active elements or something or the other - mef.

Cant seem to get it to work on the bus at the end of the day is all.

supreme omni-playability of idevice - i shld get tht copyrighted or something. no !?!

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #14 LBG, Jan 14, 2011
    I also never play my PSP anymore and my time playing my PS3 has been cut down by my iPhone 4. I probably won't get the PSP2 though.

As for the iPhone 4 vs 3DS graphics arguement, from what I've seen so far, the iPhone 4 comes out on top. The 3DS has such a small resolution compared to the iPhone 4 that even if you have all the power and special effects possible then the graphics are still going to be limited by the resolution. The 3DS has a resolution of 400 x 240, the iPhone 4's resolution is 960 x 640. The 3DS has 96,000 pixels. The iPhone 4 has 614,400 pixels. That's a BIG difference.

Just take a look at these screenshots. Some of the 3DS ones look horribly jagged with some low quality textures. Whereas the iPhone 4 games look impressive even when they're blow up to full 960 x 640 resolution on the computer (with larger pixels), so they look even better on the iPhone 4's retina display with the same amount of pixels, which are even smaller than the pixels you're looking at right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we still haven't seen the iPhone 4 pushed to it's full potential. The Epic Citadel demo showed us what it's capable of. Chair managed to get the Unreal engine 3 to run on the iPhone 4 with near console/PC level graphics. Chair also said that the Wii and 3DS don't meet the requirements to run the UE3.
    Now if Chair (or another developer) goes ahead and makes a fully fledged RPG using the UE3, then it will blow any 3DS game out of the water. It will take a while before any other handheld gaming device can come out with graphics like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    #15 Azrael, Jan 14, 2011
    Damn, Omega fail is still a member of Toucharcade? Every time he makes an appearance an otherwise pleasant thread always turns into a DS/psp vs IOS debate. That kid seemed to assume that we 'ios' gamers does not own any other console tp know what we are talking about. I own a ps3, a 360, a psp , a nds, a ps2 and a pc. And know what the iphone 4 is more expensive than the psp and ds combine and i hope your young brain can comprehend that if we can afford such an expensive device we can afford the most recent console as well.

16. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    In the quest for pocket device of choice my iPhone has definitely replace my DS and PSP as the pocket device of choice and I have everything stored in one device and I am not walking around with a bunch of cartidges and UMD's in a bag.

Pricing of iPhone games in comparison also played a key factor as I am willing take a risk with more games as the collective price gives you many more games for the price of a single DS or PSP game.

My main issue with a lot of iphone / iDevice games is having virtual buttons and sticks onscreen and or having your fingers swipe into gamplay areas. I don't think you can ever reallly replace the feedback of analogue and digital buttons, some games do work well, but (imo) the vast majority don't.

Gaming on a iPhone screen will never replace my PS3 hi definition 1080p, 7.1 surround sound experience.... Compare Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit on iDevices to a fully blown console experience and far me, no comparison.

So my iPhone is the number 1 choice for burst gameplay, but my PS3 (and 360) reign supreme.

iPhone - a very good gaming device, but will never be all-emcompassing.

17. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I completely agree.

18. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    So the iPhone4 will let me keep my gamesaves after removing a game to make space for more for a while?
    You mean I don't need to lose my places in Final Fantasy, Broken Sword, Steel Sky and others? Wow, that's great. That's just like a proper gaming system then.

How do I do that?

19. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    #19 Azrael, Jan 14, 2011
    Oh brother. Why do these guys even bother to register in sites like this, too much time in your hands?

20. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    If you take 10 minutes to jailbreak your iPhone then you can back-up every single game save, delete games, install them again and restore the data very easily.