Limited time FULL demos... Why so few?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I DJ, and many DJ software packages let you demo the entire product in one way or another. I really love that. I don't need 4 different DJ programs, but that is how many I bought, and use, based on the fact that I had a full demo to make my determination as to whether I liked it enough to purchase..... My programs run from $5 to $300 for my most expensive software.

So, I was thinking that it would really be nice to have that option for some of the more expensive iOS apps - and not just games, but business software, too. I honestly can't think of a single app or game for iOS or even Mac that gives you a chance to run a full demo. Maybe Megaseg DJ software, but I can't say for sure.

All I know is that I am really tired of buying disappointing software / apps.

I could pirate just about anything, but I don't. In fact I had someone I know install easily $10,000 worth of pirated software on my PC and I deleted it as soon as I saw it.. Stuff I would have loved to own, but would never steal.

Point being though, that full demos really encourage me to break open my wallet if I like the software.

I don't expect full demos for 99 cent apps, but for apps and games that are $10 and up, it would be awesome.

Personally, I think many devs don't do this because they are afraid that people will try their products, and not like it enough to buy them.

I will also say that way back when Napster first came out, I did pirate lots of songs - I no longer do, and am very anti pirate these days - but quite often my pirating a song or 2 from a band had me going out and buying CDs because I discovered bands that I did enjoy.

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Ya mean like the Full game trials on PSN?

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Speaking of Dj software and Prices I had a friend with a dodgy copy of something called PowerDJ which he claimed to buy cost something like $3000 (not sure if true but apparently it was aimed at nightclubs etc), the software itself was pretty terrible and worse than the Cueplay DJ app I have on my phone or even much cheaper windows software I've toyed with myself like Mixmeister Fusion.

So yeah the prices don't really reflect much in the way of quality and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want you to see the apps at all until they had your money

4. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    I don't know, but I guess so. Do they limit the time of the demo? Or do they watermark it in some way? In any case I mean that you have access to 100% of the software, at least for a short period of time. In the case of some DJ programs they might allow 10 songs before the program shuts down, or maybe every 5th song you might get a VoiceOver saying "you are using XYZ software."

5. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Yes. The Full Game Trials on PS+ allow you to download the full game for free, giving you access to the entire game. However, you are given a play time limit of 60 minutes. After that, you are locked out of the game until you purchase it.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think its a good idea but i can imagine people hacking so many apps so it doesnt stop after one hour

Seen it a few times here on posts i've deleted, hackers posting stuff about how to get xxxx coins in a game so you dont have to get IAP's etc. I'm no fan of IAP's but doing thats totally wrong.

Would be nice to try an app for an hour free but i can imagine so many people would be able to crack that

At the end of the day when most games are so cheap i dont mind 'risking' a dollar or two. With video reviews, youtube, forums etc, you should be able to make your mind up before you buy it. Its not like the old days where you often just had one screenshot to base your decision on spending $10 on

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I guess they can sleep easy knowing one person won't pirate their stuff ;)

8. Well, at least he deleted it.

9. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Good point at the end pjs, but great reviews don't mean that I will like it, or any given person will until they get hands on.

I understand the piracy issue completely, but you wouldn't keep a new food processor that doesn't process food well, I hope. Software should give you a way to determine if you like it or not.

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What most people do is just find a friend who has that app and try it out for a while. No friends? That is what Youtube videos are for...

11. All my friend's love Candy Crush.

12. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    Pirate it as a demo and if you enjoy it then buy the software.

13. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    No, just no. This is , even if that's what you do , wrong.(which i doubt because no one actually does , they just keep the pirate version)