Universal Time Surfer (by Kumobius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Jan 9, 2013.

1. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    My distance strategy has been to go for the speed up things and planets. I try to chain those together as much as possible, rewinding to catch any I miss. If I start slowing down and dipping a little I'll go for the rocks until I hit another planet or speed thing and start speeding up again. If I ever think I'm going to plow into spikes or down a pit, I rewind slightly BEFORE it happens and move out of the way. Rewinding after the fact takes too long and uses up too many gems. Get very, very comfortable with that rewind button.

Those are my tips. I'm not as good as some here but still in the top 5% overall.

2. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks, I shall try... It's makes sense to stay up higher because of the countless snares that can get ya down on the track
    Thanks again:) also thanks SV!

3. Well, one interesting question, and wow, a lot of responses. I for one bought this game mostly out of curiosity to see whether I would side with Syntheticvoid or Gabrien.

After two days of playing, I have made the following notes, mostly good points.

I shall start with Tiny Wings, since it is a legend in itself.

I really like the warm fuzzy feel of the game. The very cute graphics and animations make this game great for a wide range of people. It has GREAT ipad retina graphics, and plays well on my iphone, ipad, and hdmi tv. You really get a great sense of flying in this game, not felt in most games of this genre except in ski safari somewhat. Great grand music, and the main reason why I bought the hd version, you can play 2 people on one ipad.

Time Surfer has a much frantic faster pace, a more arcade like flavor, more powerups and enemies, more aspects involved like dodging monsters - falling off of cliffs - pets, this game plays best on hdmi tv due to its non retina ipad graphics, and also has cool music but in a more Japanese techo style.

One thing that I kind of didn't like was that it was kind of easy to lose momentum and come to a crawl in Time Surfer. Sometimes, this would be slightly frustrating. This is not as apparent in Tiny wings even though of course, they both suffer from this to some degree.

Another thing was that the rewind concept is kind of hard to learn and use at first. At first, I was thinking, man this button is kind of useless, I want a shoot button or something. But after playing it for a bit, I began to appreciate and use the rewind. I like the cliffs and being killed, that is kinda cool to me.

Tiny wings has much better polish, ipad retina graphics, 2 player mode, and a cutey feel.

But, I find Time Surfer funner, with much more of a variety of things to do and I like the faster and more frantic pace.

My verdict: (of course it doesn't mean much, haha)

Winner : Syntheticvoid
    Runnerup : Gabrien

Reason why I say runnerup is that both games are great fun, just like other similar games like Whale Tail or Ski Safari.

Funny thing is that a month ago, there was a similar disagreement been Syntheticvoid and Sanuku about the game Alpha Zero. I bought that game too cause I was curious to see who I would side with. In the end, I sided with SV cause that game was so awesome of hdmi tv with using my new ipad as a touch controller with multiple fingers, I was really impressed.

So Syntheticvoid is 2 for 2 in my books lately, let's see if he can make it 3 for 3 the next time I see such a divisive issue come up. :D

4. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I thought you bought the game because I mentioned it in the deals forum thread for Bean's Quest. :(

And um you said "Whale Tail" :eek: instead of Whale Trail. I found that funny :)

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Nope.. It's cause I rock more than you. =oP

6. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    You still haven't passed me on Hell Zone yet :p

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, and I doubt I ever will... HellZone is brutally hard. I love it, but damn do I suck. =oP

8. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yeah, I am starting to feel the same way about the main game. It's weird though that I can be better (compared to my GC friends) at the hard mode than the regular one.

Last night I ended up taking a break from this and put time into other games. Most were deleted after trying them but Flight! turned out to be a lot of fun.

9. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I've played hell mode only a few times so my score is only 1.080m, I'm enjoying normal mode more.
    Only 17m away from SV's high-score

10. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    What's your strategy with the game in normal mode? I've eeked up a little but the few times I manage to get into the 6K's I either run out of juice in a bad spot and the end of the universe catches me or it's the black&white world so unless I hit it with enough speed it's impossible to pass.

I've read what others have posted... and it's helped some. I never got into tiny wings so I don't have that experience to really back me up... heck, I shouldn't use that as an excuse (legitimate or not)... **goes to appstore, buys tiny wings**... I guess I should get that experience and see if it helps.

11. No, I bought it cause I was curious about the SV / Gabrien thing. The bean's quest thread experience cause it was so humourous did factor into my buying it a little.

Always thought that it was called Whale Tail, haha, Ninjackid always gets on my case for movie names I hack up. Well, the Whale does have a tail! :p

12. Well, this isn't quite the reason either, but let's just go with that. :p

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I love both Tiny Wings and Time Surfer, but if the world ends and i was to choose only one game, id go with Time Surfer.

14. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Yeah if I had to choose, Time Surfer would make the cut... there is much more things to do, more frantic, faster and intense.

15. If the world was going to end tomorrow, and all I could bring was either Time Surfer, Tiny Wings, or A roll of toilet paper.

I would bring Time Surfer. Cause it's more fun and will last forever. :p

16. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    I'd bring jtpck, because it's better than both. :)

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    You cant be serious...

18. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Yeah I really enjoy Time Surfer, as is obvious by my posts in this thread. But the pet system brings it down quite a bit, as does the reliance on luck (more evident in Hell mode).

Jtpck is just pure gameplay, which is something that I really dig. And the upcoming update sounds great. Plus, jtpck really could do with more attention from TA, so you could take my ''jtpck is better'' as half truth, and half wanting more people to notice that awesome little gem. ;)

19. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #239 nightc1, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    I sort of agree. The pet system, IMO, is a bit broken. It costs a bit too much for the higher end pets after working so dang hard to unlock them. I think the dev needs to change the prices or eliminate the pricing on using pets. Level the playing field a bit but give a perk to the serious gamers.

But Hell Mode I'm pretty mixed on. I've managed to nearly get the same high score several times in that mode but my strategy is completely different than the main game. To survive you need to master the rewind feature but also pick your jumps very wisely and try not to go too fast where as in regular mode you need to go fast consistently (not that you need tips, just describing the difference). Hell Zone is all about precision jumping instead of trying to avoid pits and stuff. When I hit a groove where everything starts to flow... it feels pretty awesome. But it is called "Hell Zone" so it's gotta be tougher.

If my score was a one time fluke, I'd go with it being more luck than anything... but dialing in a strategy for it, I think y'all could probably eclipse my high score.

I played some Tiny Wings. Pretty cool game. The racing aspect in the second mode is pretty nice. The main game is a lot more relaxing than Time Surfer.. but that's not a knock against it or Time Surfer. Flight! I think is somewhat more fun to me than either game. I may need to check out jtpck. Something somewhat similar to that is Panic Springs. I had a lot of fun with that one.

20. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #1 score!

[​IMG]