Universal Super Monsters Ate My Condo! - (by adult swim)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Ok
    I got it to work a bit more but that took a hardwire restart!
    It still crashed but I don't think it's the game
    I thinks it's this messed up IOS6 update
    Everything is wonky and many things crash
    Why oh why did I bother updating!
    Time to check out Bad Piggies!

2. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Don't stress, pikpok is always speedy with iOS updates, they've probably submitted a fix to apple already!
    Bad piggies didn't include iOS 6 support either, they said on twitter.So it may not work either. But if it doesn't, it's no great loss anyway. I found it incredibly boring. I would rather replay iblast moki 2, to be honest. That's where they got their inspiration from anyway.
    Moving along.

I really enjoy playing Super Monsters ate My condo.
    Yes, some could argue that it's too similar to the original, but it's so much more addictive, and so much new content.
    And hey, ATLEAST it's an original idea, unlike other games released this week.

Some people would say "I'd rather just play the original MAMC"
    and while I also love the original, I played the absolute hell out of it the past year or so, and I had become so good at it, games would take over an hour to complete, and I just don't have the time to play that long. I never find myself opening the app, because once I do, I can't stop, it's too addictive to just stop mid game, so I am stuck playing until I fail.
    And I've played it so much, it doesn't seem to offer variety anymore, i wasn't sure if I could ever get hooked on MAMC again, but SMAMC definitely hooked me.
    I furiously stare and the screen in complete silence, scowling if anyone tries to talk to me because I'm in deep concerntration, when I fail I literally let out a yelp of distaste. I almost cry with sadness when the round is over, but I'm happy again in a few seconds starting a new one, and the excitement one feels when gaining an extra 15 seconds on a round you kicked ass on is indescribable pleasure.. A climax, if you will.
    Though I love the 2 minute mode, I truly hope a 5 minute mode (atleast) is unlocked by the end of it.
    The new blocks are all brilliant, couldn't be more pleased! The music, the graphics, the hilarious catch phrases. I can honestly say it's my favorite game I've ever played on all consoles, and ALWAYS has me coming back. I really love puzzle games, but I play them once, and never come back. MAMC I've spent many many hours perfecting. I see it almost as a skill, a skill worthy putting on my resumè. (I'm seriously considering it). A skill I'd love to put on my wall. It'd be pretty cool if you got a SUPER high score, that you unlocked a "certificate" which you could print out and put on your wall. In Rayman jungle run, you unlock wallpapers over time, they appear in "extras" when you click it, it takes you to a website where you can save it to your camera roll. I'd love to see something like that.. It'd give people incentive to get a super high score. (I'm thinking billions, atleast.. Maybe 100 billion?) like a high distinction, not just a C+.
    I would happily keep buying new version of MAMC, or even if I could just buy new block packs or monster packs. I really hope pikpok consider it. This is like the super mario bros of iOS. It's a must have, and the more updates it gets, the more chance it'll be featured again and again, and take over the world.

3. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    While the timer starts at 2 minutes — if you collect clock condos while playing you can extend that time quite a bit (and careful use of boosts and monster powers will amp it up even more). So while there isn't a 5-minute mode, you can definitely end up playing for 5 or more minutes in a round.

It's just unlikely you'll end up playing for over an hour, which happened pretty frequently with the first game. :)

4. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Great post, thank you for making me smile. :)

5. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    That pretty much sums up my impressions of the game. I dig the two-minute mode and the boosts and all that, but it feels like an update that turns the first game into a freemium game. I basically paid to have the original game limited further. The boosts are a really cool idea, but I shouldn't have to pay for each and every use -- that's ridiculous. It's just another one of those "you don't need IAP," but you'll sure as **** want it if you don't want to be seriously limited in how often you can use those boosts. Not sure if I should blame PikPok or AS, but either way this game sucks. Not gonna mince words.

6. ktern

ktern Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    The original owns, this still owns and yes, like some people have said, you don't end up playing for ungodly long times. It's a win in my book. Just wish the powerups were more expensive but reusable equips.

Just got 4.7 billion points, too, despite being drunk off my ass right now. Good times.

7. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I had the week off because I had to have my wisdom teeth taken out.
    Today I literally played pretty much ALL DAY!
    (well.. I clocked 3hrs on the game.. So that's pretty long)
    I got over a billion points. Felt like a total pimp, didn't even use any boosts.
    But then I was kinda sad that the fact that I used no boosts doesn't really get taken into consideration.. It actually would be nice having a separate board for no boosts used..not really a NO IAP board... Because ppl with IAP can compete on that board too obviously.. But it's just fun to also try with skill alone, instead of using boosts.. It'll add more gameplay time/more replayability.
    Also hope a longer mode is unlocked after all the quests have been done.
    (I'm level 17 currently.. Can't wait to see what happens at condo eater)
    I just ran for an hour on the treadmill and was SO disorientated from playing the game all day.. It felt like the lights were moving up and down..made me feel sick.. Still went hard out though.. Going to have to get used to it because. SMAMC Is going to be part of my daily schedule for sure.

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    nm... got my answer.... damn

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    One of my, and many others, favorite iOS game, Monsters Ate My Condo, just received a sort of sequel, titled Super Monsters Ate My Condo, done by PikPok, the same team that brought us the original. However, feelings are mixed when it comes to the Super version. Some people think it should have been an update to the original, others, plain out free, as it’s treated like a freemium title, while others love it and it’s timed gameplay. Hopefully, we’ll be able to help you decide whether or not to pick this one up.

Diving right on in, Super MAMC displays quite a few differences from the original, and while the core gameplay is the same, these differences do make it a completely new experience. Personally, I don’t think it would have worked as an update to the original. Scores would need to be reset, gameplay would be strange going back and forth, and the addition of the power-up/coin system just doesn’t fit in next to the original.
    The first thing you might notice? SMAMC contains a shop. Here, you’ll be able to purchase a coin doubler, coins, and 3 hats for each of the 4 monsters found in the game. Each hat does the same thing, adds a +3 multiplier to that monsters scoring system, and this is stackable, meaning that if you purchase two hats, the multiplier goes up to +6. The coin doubler is priced at $1.99, and there’s packs of coins set at $1.99 (20,000), $2.99 (50,000), $4.99 (130,000), $9.99 (300,000) and $24.99 (1,000,000). Sadly, these coins are also used to purchase boosters before every game which can drastically alter your score, with the more powerful boosters costing upwards of 2,000-3,000 coins. That’s not to say that you can’t score big without them, just that you’d probably be able to score even bigger if you had used them, leaving the top scores on the board for those that either grind for coins, or purchase them through IAPs, which, in an insanely high-scoring game like MAMC, is really a big no-no.

The second big thing you’ll notice. The 2 minute time-limit. SMAMC has one gameplay mode, and it’s timed. Now, I’m not saying that this is a bad thing, in fact, I love that games are a lot shorter now. Chances are, if you really got into the original, games could last upwards of 1 or 2 hours depending on how careless/quick you got flicking condos left and right. With SMAMC, that frantic, action packed gameplay is all stuffed into one 2 minute game. You are able to extend this with the Time Booster, at the end of the game on the item wheel, and by matching clocks, all of which we’ll get to in a sec, but basically, each game will be between 2 and 5 (if you’re lucky) minutes.

Now, the boosters. There are 10 boosters total which will be unlocked in packs of 3, with the last one unlocked by itself, as you complete sets of objectives and level up. The first 3 are; Double Start, which activates the green monster’s power for the first 30 seconds of a game, Boost Start, which makes the yellow monster’s 10x score multiplier active for the first 20 seconds of a game and Extra Time, which adds 30 seconds to the clock. Next, you’ll unlock Starting Cat, which starts you off with a cat condo somewhere in the beginning of the tower, Slow Chain, which gives you twice as long to make matches and build a chain and Multiplier +10, which, you guessed it, starts you off with an added 10 points on your beginning multiplier. The last 4 boosts are some of the most powerful in the game; Mega Boost, which activates the yellow monster’s power up (x10 multiplier) for the first 15 seconds of every Mega Zone (3 diamonds matched) you enter. Double Good gives you 2x the Piggy Banks, Clocks and Multipliers for the first 30 seconds of a game. We’ll get more into the banks and clocks next. The last power-up you’ll unlock is the Starting Dog. This power-up is the most expensive, but boosts upgrades like Cats, and can be fed to a monster when you want to activate two monster’s powers at once.
    You’re able to select 3 boosters before every game, and once you either complete the game, or once your tower crumbles. Whether it takes you 3 seconds or the full 2 minutes (or longer), the boosters are gone at the end of the game, and you’ll need to purchase them again in the next game if you want to use them.

The new condos are all great. I have to admit that I didn’t expect them to have such a drastic effect on gameplay, but they really do. Each new condo can be removed by matching condos around it, with them either in the center, or on the edges of the match. First off, there’s two new pink condos. One is a pig, which is a Piggy Bank, giving you one coin for each condo in the match, while the other is a Clock, adding on one second for each condo that‘s in the match, or you can feed the clock to a monster to add 1 second to your timer. If you manage to match up 3 Banks or Clocks, or a mix of both, you’ll earn a Multiplier Condo. This multiplier condo adds a multiplier of 1 for each condo that you match around it, or can be fed to a monster to add 1 to your multiplier. There’s also Nukes, starting with a timer set at 10, if you don’t destroy these before they hit 0, they’ll blow up your whole tower, and result in a game over. Acid condos are also included, starting with a counter at 5, they count down to 0 and, if not destroyed by then, melt the condo under them. Once they melt a condo, the timer sets back at 5, and counts down again. These can eat through a whole tower if you let them. Both the Nuke and Acid condos timers can be reset if you power up the red monster.

Another addition to the game is the ability to match condos between Bronze, Silver and Gold condos, no matter how long it’s been since they were created. In the original MAMC, you could only do this for a short period of time after the Bronze, Silver or Gold condos were created and appeared slightly transparent. In Super MAMC, you are ALWAYS able to have one of them in between condos, and make a match. This allows for some seriously large matches, especially once you throw in all the new and original (red, green, yellow, blue, concrete, bombs, cats, diamonds) condos found throughout the game.
    At the end of each game, you’re able to spin a wheel which can get you an additional 15 or 30 seconds of gameplay (if this is won, you will not spin again after those 15/30 seconds), extra coins (which are also doubled by the coin doubler), a random free booster your next game, 2X coins your next game, or nothing at all. If you win a free booster or 2X coins, you must play a game after that for it to be active. If you exit the game and restart it later, the free boost or 2X coins will no longer be available/active.
    The last addition is the inclusion of Events. For a heafty price (10,000 coins) you can play one game in Oriental Mode which increases the speed of everything, gives you a 10x multiplier along with a +5 multiplier for every 5 condos and bad condos count down quicker, all set in an oriental theme. Getting this option is random, and you never know when it'll pop up. If you don't have 10,000 coins, you won't be able to experience it, but it can definitely have a huge impact on your final score if you do.

With the introduction of the coin/booster system, Super Monsters Ate My Condo really does feel more like a freemium game that pushes gamers towards purchasing more coins via IAP in order to score big, which, let’s face it, is what MAMC is all about. It’s incredibly sad to see such an outstanding developer like PikPok take this direction, but hopefully their next game won’t follow suit. For $0.99, it’s definitely worth checking out, especially if you’re a fan of the original, and would like to see what new condos and boosters can add to the gameplay. There is a certain amount of strategy in choose which boosters to play with, depending on how you play the game, and yes, there is a set of boosters here for everyone. Being Universal and including seamless iCloud support make Super MAMC even easier to recommend, but it’s still very hard to look past the fact that gamers can basically purchase their way onto the leaderboards. If the Time-Limit Mode in the original and lite versions of MAMC is something you enjoy quite a bit, Super MAMC will probably be right up your ally. But if having extremely expensive permanent boosters which you could turn on or off, and a separate leaderboard for gamers who don’t use boosters were included in this sequel, it would have been a must own game for everyone.

4/5 stars.

10. Hero211

Hero211 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Dev! can u guys update Bring Me Sandwiches to
    retina display on ipad 3 that would be amazing love all your games keep up da good work!

11. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    @Syntheticvoid: You nailed it with your review, everything except the score, more of a 3.5 to me :p

And on a different note: I wish some of those new condos could come to the original. The nuke condo and the acid condo could come, it would be fantastic.... the dog condo condo too, two power ups at the same time? The yellow and the green you say? That would be incredible, would breathe new life into the original and will show that PikPok is not doing a Crapcom stunt. My two cents

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have the original and have never even launched it. I guess I should do that. LOL!

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =oP

Thanks.

But I do still believe that adding the new condos, especially the dog, to the original MAMC would have such a huge effect on the scores that they'd need to be reset...

14. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Yes, it would drastically alter scores, so maybe he shows up after making something difficult, like making a diamond inside the mega zone (maybe that easy for others?). Forgot that X condo, that could make the cut too... and of course, with the new tower abilities.

(Now Frost lights a candle and prays for this to happen :p)

15. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    That's a pretty great review synthetic. :)

I hope people enjoy SMAMC. We'd love to do more in the future with Monsters Ate My Condo, but that largely depends on how well SMAMC ends up doing.

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    making a diamond inside the megazone is really easy... 3 matches will give you 3 silvers which will give you a diamond...

**lights his own candle and prays against Frost

=oP

17. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Okay :eek:

Then something almost impossible. Something...

...Lights a second candle to annul SV candle...

Then add my cryies as an IAP for the original, most would instantly buy these new features and you wont end up loosing as much money (and IAP cant be pirated), maybe you end up making more money

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]

LMAO... yes... yes it can...

**lights 16 candles (haha)**

19. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Its way harder, and doesnt work most of the time, and doesnt work with all games (not me personally who tested this)

...Goes to the store to buy more candles :p

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Not way harder... I won't get into the technical crap, because I don't really care as I'm not jailbroken, and am completely against it - but you just get an app that does it for you. works on 9 out of 10 games