Universal Super Monsters Ate My Condo! - (by adult swim)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 26, 2012.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Didnt know about it... guess whos getting a hate-mail from me :p (same as I did the one that did that horrible thing for GC)

Also, there are good JB users, ones who buy all their apps, even IAPs, and have it for 3 tweaks only

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    oh... to be clear, I didn't mean I'm totally against jailbreaking, I know there are 'good' jb users... I meant I'm totally against pirating. The reason I don't jailbreak is because I don't trust it. I JB my first 2nd gen touch, and after about 2 months it wouldn't run 75% of my apps. I'm sure it's gotten better as time has gone on... but after that experience, I'm never doing it again.

3. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    There are a couple reasons why it's a separate app, some are technical. But considering the differences in the gameplay, unless we were also changing the gameplay of the original modes, it'd be quite confusing to explain. There'd be people who wouldn't like the additions. It would upend the balance on the older leaderboards considerably. If we didn't time-limit the games the leaderboards would likely be broken, period.

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    THANK YOU! =oD

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am enjoying SMAMC, just like I loved MAMC. I am happy to have a sequel with enough differentiation to make it quite distinct. The quick play is a great idea and offers a totally new experience.

I have no issue with the game's IAP as the game can be enjoyed without purchasing any. Whether we like it or not, this is a growing trend but is fine when it is implemented properly, as it seems to be here.

My one request so far is that PikPok should implement screen flipping so I can play comfortably while charging my iPad.

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #106 syntheticvoid, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    welp... congrats on the 5 star TA review...

That's all I'm gonna say. =o/

**sorry, nothing against PikPok or AS, at all. You guys deserve a high score, and all the attention you can get for this 'super' version of MAMC....

7. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    You mean, those stars that have so lost their value?

Btw, among the 3 5 star reviews over the past day, I think this is the most deserving.

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #108 syntheticvoid, Sep 28, 2012

oops...

^^ really... all I'm gonna say this time, I swear.

Ha... Guess that's all I can say about this one, TA blocked me from making comments on their main page.

Gotta love how they handle these situations.

9. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    hands down better than the first, I miss endless mode but I can see what they took it out. I'm lvl 11 now and can't stop playing ahhhh

10. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Finished all the achievements.. And all the ranks.. Now I'm back at level 1.
    No new modes unlocked, no special Easter egg.
    There's a gc achievement to play through twice.. So I still have an inkling of hope something will happen then.. But I doubt it.
    It's almost discouraging to spend all day wanting to beat the challenges to see what happens.. Then literally nothing happens.. Well worse than nothing, I'm level 1 again! (well, that's actually good since I get bonus coins for redoing the challenges, but still) I like when games say "congratulations, you're a big man! A big man!" (Simpsons reference)
    Loved the game but was really hoping on a second mode or a secret block.. Or...just SOMETHING!
    I mist have played 500 rounds. I know every tip and trick now.. There's not much else to learn.. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore MAMC.. But I do wish there was more content.
    But for 99c you can't complain.. Wish there was some IAP content though.
    I'll probably still play it occasionally, but I'm glad my vision will not longer be impaired by the hynotic colors and sounds seeping in to everyday life.

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #111 awp69, Sep 28, 2012
    Really? That's pretty pathetic. I'm sure the comment blocking came from a certain runner that seems to be "perfect" to TA. If the reviewers are entitled to their opinion, then I think we're entitled to our own.

While I can't say I completely agree with the 5-star rating for this either (yes, it's a fun game, but still think the original is better), it still has a great gameplay mechanic, which to me is the main point of playing games.

TA needs to either change their rating system or they need to learn to accept comments questioning it -- particularly in the case of that other game.

I think it is interesting though that even though I like the games that were released this week, I still think overall it wasn't a particularly great week for the App Store. And, ironically, ALL of the 5-star reviews this month came this week.

BTW, I'm not dishing SMAMC, I reallly do like it. Just maybe more like 4/5 to me since I was crazy about the original.

12. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Boy, now that's saying something. No offense to AS or PP (check my signature, MAMC is a permanent fixture), but if a reissue of a game that amounts to "a new mode plus IAPs" is the most deserving of a 5-star rating... wow.

I must say, I've never been one to get my nose out of joint about what amounts to people's opinions, but from the Dead Trigger review (which I don't necessarily disagree with, but considering the new context added by the GoB review...)) up until today, well, yeah. As SV said, "I'll just leave it at that.";)

DBC

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What's amusing about this perception is that we love comments when they're constructive or insightful. Unfortunately, drive-by comment thread shitting and just telling us we're dumb or wrong without any sort of rational argument backing it up is not only a waste of time but also incredibly tiring given the amount of effort we put into making TouchArcade awesome. If it were up to me, we wouldn't even have comments on the front page as nine times out of ten they're not only totally worthless but also intentionally hurtful.

Isn't the anonymity of the internet grand?

14. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    #114 Capricornman, Sep 28, 2012
    I've been playing SMAMC quite a bit
    Let's take a look
    Bought it for 99 cents
    Figured if I'm gonna get anywhere better get the coin doubler-$1.99
    Still it feels like a grind
    I've finally unlocked all power ups
    I still have no hats and they are expensive
    After tons of games my highest score is around 9 million and that was with no power ups
    Ok I just opened the original MAMC and played one timed attack game
    I got almost 30 million points and it was great fun
    I don't get it...oh yes I do
    I feel like a fool getting the Super version
    That's all folks!
    No more impulse buying.....
    Only after much consideration will I purchase anymore games....oh I sense some of my excitement for gaming ever so slightly waning and to me that's sad

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I certainly don't agree with hurtful comments. But I don't think censoring is the solution either (unless it's something REALLY bad). If it's offensive, just ignore it.

I many not agree with every review on this site. But I will say that I DO appreciate everything you guys do to keep this site going. Not to negate your stories, but these forums, in particular, are THE best place to find out info about iOS games and often be able to discuss things directly with the devs. That communication is actually a beautiful thing on the Internet (unfortunately, not so much in console gaming, but definately in iOS gaming).

16. Thawkk

Thawkk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm liking just about everything about this game, except that boosts are consumable. I think there should be expensive (10,000 coins or something like that) permanent unlocks for the boosts. Kinda like how Jetpack Joyride does the gadget system. If they did that, this would easily be one of my favorites.

17. SwimCeej

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if your highest score is 9 million with no powerups... there've got to be some systems in the game you're not taking full advantage of. Even if your high score is 30 million in the timed mode of MAMC there's something you're not doing.

I'd love to see a video where you're playing the game, I'm sure I could give you some pointers to break 100 mil with no problems (and no boosts).

Unless you meant billion and accidentally typed million. In which case it's not a low score.

18. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    That'd be awesome, but would kill the coin grind ;p

19. Thawkk

Thawkk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    But as it is right now, I feel like you *have* to have coins for boosts to get high scores. But I see your point. One "coin" system I thought was done very well was the one used in Super Mole Escape. Especially the bribing the judge mechanic, where at the wheel in the end, you can pay 1000 gems for a guaranteed extra life, with a use limit of 2, leaving nothing to chance. You did have to save up a bit to use it though, so you only used it when you thought you were close to your high score. Maybe SMAMC could do the same thing with the Monster Wheel, where you pay 5000 coins or something for an instant 30 seconds added on.

20. SwimCeej

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    There is a boost that adds 30 seconds right from the start in SMAMC btw. It doesn't even cost 5k coins.