App rejected for including OpenFeint!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kyle Poole, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    My reply:

Should I just resubmit the same binary and hope for a different reviewer? :confused:

2. SiafuPhil

SiafuPhil Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    UK
    I'd wait for a reply, they usually seem to reply to app rejection emails with 24 hours (from my experience).

Of course, resubmitting shouldn't harm your chances, but I'd guess they keep some sort of log for each app, so different reviewers can see a history of submissions (or at least I'd hope for their sake they have something like that in place!).

I'm just looking into Open Feint now, so am very interested to hear their reply to you! Good luck ;)

3. Well THIS stinks. I hope that's just a brain fart on the part of the reviewer, because I'm planning on adding OF to my game. If Apple starts rejecting games that feature OF there's going to be a massive stink.

4. Vexorg

Vexorg Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Yeah, I wish OF 2.4 didn't include the location feature. I see no point in it and it just creates problems like this (plus an annoying pop-up every time you launch your app and you hit no).

5. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Did you build with the latest version of OpenFeint 2.4? It should be 2.4.2, because there was a bug in the earlier build that would cause the location prompt to appear on an upgrade install even when the switch was set to no, this was fixed in 2.4.2.

6. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Ah I see, it is using 2.4

Anyways Apple did respond very quickly, I'm impressed!

7. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Good stuff, I can breath easier again :)

8. Open Feint includes ads at the top of their dashboard screens, and as a compete high level section.

Right now it seems to always be ads for other open feint games, but they could probably put other ads in there too.

I love open feint, and have it in a bunch of my games, but they do include ads.

I would guess that better ad targeting is one of their reasons for having the core location stuff, and location aware leader boards is a small user facing justification for putting it in, but I am quite cynical.

9. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    After seeing this thread, I downloaded the lastest OpenFeint SDK. This is my first time updating OpenFeint in my game (which is made in Unity 3D), so I am not sure what to change. Do I just need to delete the old OpenFeint folder in Xcode (Move to Trash) and drag in the new one (with the proper boxes checked)?

I am getting close to submitting my Unity3D/OpenFeint game and I would like to avoid rejection!

10. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    Hey Guys,
    Jason from OpenFeint here.

First off... Kyle I will reach out to my contacts at Apple and confirm their stance on this issue. If it's going to become a problem that we have geo-location leaderboards, we'll figure out how they would like us to change use of Core Location to meet their expectations. If you have any more problems, please e-mail me directly and we'll figure out a solution for you.

Secondly, we *do not* use location data to serve up game promotions. Right now location data is used only for posting to leaderboards. We've been thinking about adding "Games people near you are playing" to the discovery tab... I actually thought it'd be a cool way to find games. We will confirm with Apple before doing it though.

Anyway, that's that! If anyone else has problems with Apple review responses, please let us know at [email protected]!

Thanks for the support :)

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I like this idea, one of my favorite things about Netflix is being able to see the crappy movies people from my area are watching. (Romantic comedies and lots of Bollywood, WTF?)

12. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Wow, they really took care of this problem quickly and did the right thing to boot. +1 to Apple :)

13. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Kyle Poole! Nothing relevant to add to this thread, but just wanted to say Hi and let you know I really enjoyed playing your original Kyle's Quest game way back in the stone ages on the original Palm Pilot. Good to see you around! :)

14. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    #14 GlennX, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    I just added Openfeint 2.4.2 to Ground Effect with no approval hassles at all. It passed after 3 days. I also made a Lite version which was passed after 5 days (but 2 of those were a weekend).

In both cases Openfeint was set up in a very standard way and uses core location because I have functioning "near me" Leaderboards. One possible difference is that I don't include the mapkit integration (so you can see nearby users on a map) because I had to support OS 2.2.1 and couldn't quite make the weak linking work. Maybe this effects the way some automated test works. It's more likely though that I just got lucky when Apple were allocating apps to testers.

15. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    hey kyle - nice to see you around here :) porting your old classic to iphone?

16. ghostdogstudio

ghostdogstudio Active Member

May 13, 2009
    iOS developer, Beer drinker, Zombie puncher
    Convict Hill, TX
    So 2.4.2 fixed this issue? I'm submitting this weekend w OpenFeint integrated and want to make sure I'm ok with that.

17. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah that's what it sounds like. Kyle submitted with 2.4 and sounds like 2.4.2 solves that and devs are getting approved with it.

Btw, OpenFeint 2.4.3 is out on the developers website ;)

18. ghostdogstudio

ghostdogstudio Active Member

May 13, 2009
    iOS developer, Beer drinker, Zombie puncher
    Convict Hill, TX
    Nice. Thanks Zincous.

19. Kyle Poole

Apr 28, 2009
    Apple approved the game today, and still about 1 week turnaround time even with the rejection! Seems like things are finally getting better in the review dept...

20. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Congratulations! So it got approved with OpenFeint 2.4 or 2.4.2/3?

EDIT: Also, I just have to replace the OpenFeint folder in Xcode with the latest folder in order to update OpenFeint, correct?