Windows Vista IE Problem

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Bruno, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    The TA site is totally weird since two days ago.

The right bar with all the game releases, new games, etc are all over the place and it is impossible to use.

To get the problem "fixed" I have to go to New Games section (menu bar, on top).

Thank you,

Bruno

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    The problem is your using Interent Explorer.

Get Firefox, Safari, or Chrome. All of which are better.

3. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    But there is a plus to IE, Zincous... You can download Firefox with it. :D

4. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    That's about the only thing it is good for.

Oh, and microsoft updates are forced to be done with IE :rolleyes:

5. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    It IS the only thing it's good for.

6. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    heheh last time I used IE was when I hadn't yet known what the Internet is and what a web browser is

7. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #7 thewiirocks, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Hey post a screenshot if you get a chance, we actually did recently make some minor changes to the front page template code a few days ago... But nothing that should have broken how anything is displayed in Internet Explorer.

9. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #9 thewiirocks, Dec 31, 2009
    Different versions of Internet Explorer have different levels of breakage. It could be an IE7 or IE8 specific problem. It's difficult to get sites to NOT break on IE while still maintaining some sense of modern features.

IMHO, leave it broken. And throw up a banner that says, "Get a real browser". The sooner IE dies, the sooner the Internet will be a safer, faster, and more feature-rich place for everyone.

(I know, it's still hanging around like an undead zombie. But a guy can dream, can't he? :D)

Click here for a FREE browser awesomeness test
    ________
    Iolite vaporizer

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

While I'd love to be smarmy about such things, we're much more concerned with accessibility than preaching the word of Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and other alternative browsers. ;)

...But don't get me wrong, I have no love for IE. Unfortunately, IE users still account for far too much traffic across the entire internet to just say nuts to making sure TA renders well for them. :p

11. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #11 thewiirocks, Dec 31, 2009
    Oh shush you. And "Alternative Browsers" is the wrong term. Has been for years. There's only broken browsers (e.g. IE) and non-broken browsers (just about everything else). Just trying to get everyone on the non-broken stuff. ;)

To be serious for a moment, the IE numbers are massively inflated by corporations. I've been watching the trends and I've noticed that very few people use Internet Explorer at home. Yet just about everyone in Corporate settings is forced to use IE (often the uber-broken IE6 version) because it's the "Corporate Standard".

The reason why it's the corporate standard? Because too many companies made the decision to only support IE in their tools due to its market prevalence and are now paying the price.

A machine that surfs the web with IE is a machine that is virus and spyware infested. Not to mention horribly, horribly broken.

That being said, I would find it interesting to know what the breakdown of browsers is for Touch Arcade. I'd be shocked if IE composed more than 30% of your traffic. If it's as low as 15%, it may make a lot of sense for you to push to eliminate IE rather than trying to support such old and broken browsers.
    ________
    DODGE SPIRIT HISTORY

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Well, the reason you don't see many popular web sites getting on board with browser evangelism is because even at 10-15%, a site that doesn't work in IE turns away a massive amount of traffic. While a small personal site might only be turning away a few people a day by not having things render properly in IE, we would be turning away thousands.

I agree with you that IE sucks but unfortunately supporting it will be a necessary evil for high traffic web sites for years to come... Regardless how much web designers who hate IE want to kick and scream about it. ;)

13. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Looks fine on IE7 (**blushes**) on my Vista PC (**hangs head in shame**)
    No changes at all in the appearance of TA.
    :)

14. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    Eli, here is the pic....

Attached Files:

15. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #15 thewiirocks, Jan 1, 2010
    I understand the theory. In practice I run websites that get millions of hits per month and have seen no ill effects from turning away IE users. There's a peer pressure effect going on that forces these people to upgrade rather than simply leave. (I say "peer pressure" because anyone caught using IE is usually ridiculed until they change. See this thread for two examples. The original poster was strongly pressured to change while the other poster exhibits shame for even testing IE! It really is a pariah.)

When users upgrade to a non-broken browser, they usually find the experience so much more pleasant that they then join in the peer pressuring of other users, making the movement self-feeding.

So the only thing preventing the dam from completely breaking at this point is webmasters who don't push their users to upgrade. As soon as the users feel the pressure, they will change.

I think the most interesting example of a website pressuring users is actually Google. If you surf their sites (including Youtube!) with IE, you will receive a message that you are out of support and that things may break. So far it doesn't seem to be costing them any business. ;)
    ________
    Gladiator

16. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

It's Windows....what can you expect?

17. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    The only thing wrong that I see in that pic is that you using IE (also tht some of the links moved)

18. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    @Bruno have you turned on compatibility view for toucharcade...I have IE on vista and everything displays without any issues

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    A little less elitism, probably.

20. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #20 thewiirocks, Jan 2, 2010
    Compatibility view doesn't make any difference for TA. At least not in my testing. Compatibility view is intended for sites that rely on older, broken IE misfeatures that are overridden by the standards that Microsoft has tried so hard not to implement. TA (like most modern websites) attempts to sidestep the issue by relying on standards that work across all browsers.

Besides, Compatibility view is an IE8 feature. That screenshot appears to be IE7. (Though I could be wrong. The two are very similar.) If you notice, there is no compatibility button next to the URL bar.

I suspect Bruno's browser is broken in some other way. Most likely he's on a point release of IE7 that had a minor bug. (Pretty common with IE.) Or it could be that some malware is messing with the engine. Either way, installing the latest patches or upgrading to IE8 would probably resolve the issue.

Of course, that's the painful solution. The easy solution is to go here.
    ________
    Kawasaki A1