Universal Neuroshima Hex (by Portal Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Sep 17, 2010.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Are there any plans to add new content to Neuroshima Hex Puzzle using the newer factions? (as iAP obviously)

2. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Bah! I hate the new army. I played against them twice, lost both (one by a lot), and then when I tried them, lost again:( It couldn't possibly be that I suck at this game... :cool:

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So what are the Steel Police all about? Reflection and cool new way to use nets?

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The Steel Police seem to be about reflection, but that is only a feature on one type of unit, The Judge. It's more about doing some nasty stuff at the cost of one toughness to your HQ, like launching the net or placing an executioner over a tile. There are also interesting units like the Pacifier which net and then can be replaced. It's a very interesting army, definitely worth getting to add more value to the game.

5. W4TSON

W4TSON Member

May 9, 2012
    Customer Service
    Aloha, Or.

That's not called rhyming. It's referred to as a homonym. Meaning two words sound the same, but are spelled differently.

6. Fawks

Fawks New Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Hi, I just bought the game. And I was wondering what expansions bring the most complexity to the game. Ps: I only have two dollars in app store credit but would still love to here your opinion on any expansions.

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Being fairly rusty at the game I couldn't hope to answer BUT, I think one way to help refine the search for the rest of the folk here, what is your preferred playing style? Do you want something that lets you go all aggro, do you want to be able to sit back while all of the other players pick each other off, or are you looking for an army that lets you pull all sorts of playfield manipulation?

8. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    #788 runliketurtles, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
    If you're willing to wait, the armies go on sale fairly regularly. Then you could get two armies for that $2! (plus tax?) Though the best deal is all 5 additional armies for $4 when on sale.

That said, without knowing more here are probably the armies most different from the starting four:

1) Vegas: By far the most different. Has the fewest units, and so instead relies on overtaking opponent's units to use in battle. Requires a very different strategy both playing as and against.

2) Steel Police: Can exchange HQ health for special abilities, mainly being able to net any character at any time (which is a lot of fun;)

3) Smart: While playing as Smart movement is the name of the game. Moving your units and even HQ to mix up your opponent.

I really like New York, but they are mainly about fire power and not really all that different strategy-wise. And while Neojungle is quite different with its Motherland ability allowing module buffs to affect many units, I don't like them so much so didn't list them:cool:

9. Fawks

Fawks New Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Nice, I think I usually play more offensive and I'm still kinda experimenting so I think I'll hold on to my money for a sale. Thanks!

10. Guibs

Guibs Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Just want to give two big thumbs up to Big Daddy's for this great game. Here we all love board games a lot and since I got an ipad a few months ago, I've been buying some board games on it. Stumble into a few articles on the internet mentioning this game.

It's currently my most play game. Even my two sons, who are 6 and 8 years old, love the game.

I ended up buying, at full price, all the armies to encourange Big Daddy for their great work on this game.

I wonder since the Steel police are out if there are more plans down the road for this game in updates, etc ?

11. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Im still learning this game by playing the computer at "quick" games, and I didnt realize the app came with more than 1 army? LOL, really a big learning curve here, but at least the ability to play the computer helps.

So I should test out all the armies against the computer before playing multiplayer then?

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    That's where I still am with this game. Not a bad idea to get a feel for each of the armies. Not only to learn how to play them but then to have an idea what an opponent could do to you with them.

13. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I don't really get into multiplayer but this looks cool. Can anyone tell me if the single player experience is deep enough to warrant purchasing? Is the AI decent enough? What games does it compare to, if any?

14. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #794 september, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Just a question about the 3 new armies being released shortly, does anyone know if they are a pack or individual purchases?

You may prefer the puzzle version, there no real campaign in either - standard hex is is an offline skirmish variant and puzzle is set objectives with situations laid out. Like any game with AI you learn how it plays, but it gives a decent challenge. To get a taste of what it is you should try the lite version.

15. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Thanks so much! I appreciate it

16. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    This game rules!!!

I really enjoy playing as and against all the factions. I've bagged all the extra armies, and so far just playing over and over against the AI in 4 player custom, hard difficulty is a must.

Really wondering if the game is getting any further expansions or support, whether IAP or other - it's really quite addictive.

Maybe some are a bit odd, but my wishlist for improvements or for a sequel :
    -Customizable board size (and more varied graphics for background)
    -A larger board could accommodate 5 factions!
    -More varied music or some speech sounds or more animations/ effects.
    -We have random team selection, what about an option to have random units etc so you'd get dealt an HQ and then a mix from all armies.
    -A campaign of some kind.
    -An extra hard difficulty level
    -More factions and new units for existing factions please :)
    -

- Just more of everything!

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    3 new factions are incoming though an exact time frame hasn't been announced of which I'm aware.

Pockettactics.com/2013/06/06/bringing-hexy-back-first-look-at-the-new-neuroshima-hex-armies/

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I too think a random selection of units would be fun BUT get that a lot of this game's careful balancing probably relies on each faction's current unit mix. If there were a way to do this that didn't break the game, I too think it would be fun to REALLY mix it up.

19. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Cool, great news!

20. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah, it'd have to be Crazy Mode or something if truly random, you might get lumped with hardly any units. I guess it would be interesting that way and an insane challenge.