Universal Fruit Ninja (by Halfbrick)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 20, 2010.

1. laladanger

laladanger Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Great update and I'm really enjoying the new fruits. It's a nice change from avoiding bombs and slicing fruit. Now I get to hone in on my combo skills.

2. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    FANTASTIC UPDATE!
    Zen mode is so good! after a few tries I got 225 and am at 323 on the leaderboard, must get higher! its all about putting combos together.

Is it always the same number of fruit per 1:30 in zen mode?

3. iTouch.lover22

iTouch.lover22 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks guys =D Thanks phil, great update!!! Having a blast with Zen mode :)

4. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Not a problem mate, you have crazy skill.

I just downloaded the update and I'm gonna fire it up after breakfast. What should I have? Gotta be fruit. :p

5. iTouch.lover22

iTouch.lover22 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    What's everyone's high scores at the moment?? Mine's 222 :)

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    This update looks insane. New fruit, new achievements, new combo attacks and awards, and most of all a completely new mode.

I'm wondering if someone could explain a little more about:

JUICE SPLATTER! Now optimized for awesome performance on fast devices!

I have a 3rd Gen iPod Touch but I'm still playing everything on my 1st gen because I don't want to lose the save data from all the games I have on my 1st gen. :( I wish Apple had an easy way to back up your save files. :mad:

7. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

I'm playing on a 3GS. Truthfully, I didn't notice a difference in the juice splatter between the original version and the new version.

But, there is no real save data for Fruit Ninja. Can't you just download Fruit Ninja to your 3rd Gen iTouch to enjoy it in all of it's 3rd Gen glory? As long as you use the same iTunes account, you won't get charged again.

8. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    Ya I didn't really notice more splatter. But I like the zen mode a lot

9. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    Can someone explain about zen mode?

10. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Zen mode kicks ASS. Will be leaving another 5* review soon.

Phil - please announce multi-slash soon (slice and dice fruits into iddy-widdy bits) :D

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Oh I'm not worried about my Fruit Ninja data.... I'm worried about the other 100+ apps that I have save files for. ;)

12. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    I second all of that x10000

13. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i lol'd

14. HalfbrickPhil

HalfbrickPhil Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    #514 HalfbrickPhil, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
    Nope! There's that element of randomness that pretty much all awesome procedurally generated games have - Doodle Jump, Canabalt etc. You can usually get solid scores, but there is an element of luck where you might score some pretty sweet 6-fruit combos. Always keeps the games different and fresh!

A cunning strategy, thanks very much for letting your friends know! Hell, if everyone who downloaded the update just got one other player to get the game, we'd be in business!

That feature is definitely right up there in terms of most-requested. It's also by far the most difficult to implement. When we know something concrete about its viability we will let you know!

So, who finds Zen Mode more addictive than Classic? I personally found that to be the case when testing the game. Always kept going for higher scores in a snappy 90 second timeframe.

Of course, going back to Classic is pretty refreshing after a hearty Zen session. I think there's a great balance between the modes now.

Oh, and I completely forgot - there is a new trailer! The TA announcement post has just added it in.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/05/21/fruit-ninja-gets-a-big-update/

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    How does this combo scoring work? If I were to take the video literally it looks like getting a "5-combo" will give me a "+5"...so would that be a total of 10?

Does any combination of more than 1 just give the player 2x the points? I would have assumed something more progressive like Orbital used:

1 hit = 1
    2 hits = 3
    3 hits = 6
    4 hits = 10
    5 hits = 15

Is that the case here?

16. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    nice update, best so far in zen is 199
    that ninja did NOT miss that orange and watermelon slice :p
    it would be awesome to slice tiny grapes in the future :D

17. Deadpoolite

Deadpoolite Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I've been playing more zen mode than classic. I like how it's set up, although I've been yearning to play it for more than 90 seconds.

What other modes are coming? I'd like to see a timed mode similar to zen mode but with the ability to earn more time based on performance, or lose time if you miss a fruit or hit a bomb.

I also would like to see a score attack mode. where there's a set amount of fruit that will be thrown, and players have to score a certain amount of points to reach the next round. if players hit bombs they lose points.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some crazy oversized fruit bosses in some sort of story/arcade mode that require multiple slashes to destroy all while still making sure they're slicing the smaller fruits that fly across the screen. In this mode there could be a timer and also x's, Basically I'm thinking of space invaders extreme on the DS when I think of this mode.

18. Greensheep

Greensheep Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    none at the time
    yay:) really glad the update is out:D

19. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I only had 3 games on Zen mode, got 218 high score.

20. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Another one for you Phil - different 'slice points' for fruits.

1. Horizontal (already there)
    2. Vertical (splitting a banana in half, the long way, for example).
    3. Diagonal Left
    4. Diagonal Right

5. The ability to slice off 'bits' of fruits instead of always at the center.

:D :D :D

OK i'm getting a bit too excited. Imagine the game being as realistic as a friend throwing up a carton of mixed fruits in the air and you, with your super sharp samur... sorry, ninja sword, hacking away randomly at them.

Oh the sheer delight. Make it happen, please please please :p