Site Etiquette?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by undeadcow, Jun 12, 2014.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I’d like to see the participant mentality around here change, more focus on simple fun and less on “politics.” Recent banishments have left some of the site regulars curious about forum policy and guidelines. I've become concerned about an invalid "us versus them" mentality adopted in suggesting moderators are responding unfairly. It’s uncool for admins to get crazed death threats or members to feel like their buddy is cut out. Any ideas on how WE can end (hopefully isolated) subtle animosity between some active members and the forum?

How can we make Touch Arcade feel open and fun again with weird conspiracy theories or speculation about moderator over reaction? Even knowing the rules sometimes the consequences seem unclear. The community can't be privy to infractions; however, the result is that reports are one sided. There’s no reason for people to disrespect moderators/administrators.

Site rules, for reference: http://forums.toucharcade.com/announcement.php?f=2.

Note: This might be a “hot” topic but I want to look for a warm happy resolution/outlet. Please response with respectful discussion on solutions or suggestions that could help site moral.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

FWIW, Jared and I have been working on an overhaul of the site rules to clarify some things as the App Store changes and discussion around here shifts. Overall, the most important thing to remember is this:

The forums exist to talk about iPhone and iPod Touch games primarily. Everything else is secondary. So preserving this discussion takes priority.

A few people recently have gotten very wound up over secondary, often off-site drama... Which has nothing to do with discussing iPhone games. The mods are all on the same page here, we just want to make this a rockin' place to discuss iOS stuff.

I wish I knew what to do about the conspiracy theories, as people genuinely want to believe and perpetuate this weird us vs them mentality, which couldn't be further from the truth of how anyone on our side of the fence feels about anything. I'm a member of forums where forum infractions/bans are public, and it doesn't really help. People who want to be upset, and perpetuate drama and conspiracy theories always will find a way to keep that thought train rolling in their head(s).

In conclusion,

[​IMG]

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I've found myself really disappointed with some of the recent bans and I have no affiliation with any of the people involved at all. I'll still hang about here if you'll still have me but it'll just be slightly less fun than it was before is all.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Did I miss something? I haven't noticed any big changes.

5. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Little bit of infighting, Bronxsta got banned and the accusations followed pretty quickly that something was off.

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #6 undeadcow, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Huzzah!
    It's not necessarily the people who are gone but the atmosphere with the some of the people who are here that concerns me, recent awkwardness with people taking things subjectively.
    The feedback I've heard didn't surround just one instance; it has been slowly brewing for a while. It'd be counter productive to go into the details other than to say I'm looking forward to things lightning up.

7. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #7 7lilwhitewolf7, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    I didnt realize Bronxta wuz banned. Why iz it so sad 2 hear about these thingz regardless of y?

I agree that the main focus should iOS then everything secondary. I remember there wuz a solution for looking @ other sitez 4 welcoming new members 7 a better balance of interaction with memberz. Although the details are lost since soon after the problem wuz solved 7 we saw a uplifting 7 significant change for new 7 existing memberz, the site wuz destroyed. It wuz a big issue where folkz would take otherz kindness for weakness, or bieng too perfect in a discussion or just too serious weather pertaining to the topic or not. I wish a had a time machine

m'Lord Eli tht should be rule #1 "BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER"

8. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Okay.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yep, I'd rather not discuss it publicly, it's just going to add fuel to the forum drama fire that we're trying very hard to put out. Feel free to email me though.

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #10 undeadcow, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    I don't feel the need to discuss it privately either, other than to say on rare occasion a ban/etc can seem unusual and become a bit of a downer for some. I proposed this thread as a respectful outlet towards stability because I know some were bummed out by events (which are likely the fault of those excised people, not moderators). Hopefully we can all get back to the business of video gaming.

11. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Yep - it's still a great site and, personally, I've had nothing but help and goodwill from everyone I've come across. Even you, Undeadcow - how you do that GOTW thread each week is beyond me but fantastic. I'd still recommend it to anyone interested in iOS gaming, hell, even my son comes on now. And I do have to say, each post I read by 7lilwhitewolf7 still makes me smile. He plays with the English language in ways I can only imagine.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #12 Vovin, Jun 13, 2014

I'm jealous. I don't understand what s/he is saying most of the time. ;)

But, lol, wut? Death threats vs an admin? In an iOS gaming forum? What the...? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard lately, honestly. I wish I had those people's problems - would make my life much easier.
    In the end, threatening to hurt people is where the fun definately ends. No matter if out of anger or hurt pride or whatever stupid reason.

13. 7lilwhitewolf7

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    #13 7lilwhitewolf7, Jun 13, 2014
    ?'z ^ Vovin?
    You know you need 2 cut it out.[ s/he. ] WTFunk? keep your wink 7 lol till...

"I'm a man budda. A Maaaaaaaan!"

7 now i know why. Icicle irrelavant. One of Godz Children @ 4.0 7 i never seen or heard that word. ? Does it mean?
    ?'z the def.inition of [suoleaj] = ____________________________________________________________________

Bn judged 4rm cool 2 crazy 7 it still dont fit on Unicron or pleaze hiz appitite.
    I dont know ? A book iz. Iznt tht a button on our iOS devicez?

I know it needz 2 b addressd now 4 a death threat. For real? Self destruction begetz self controllin 7 your videogame card iz pulled right along wit ya quarter u put up. One of my Friendz on our site also juz got banned so yeah its upsettin 7 a downer like wernt we juz havin fun a min ago?

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Even when i highlight the above post and select Language - English i still cant understand it !

15. 7lilwhitewolf7

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    B4 "it" could even odd root ^ wit sunshine 7 rain, ThnX m'Lord Slamraman. :mad::cool:

All of uz on thiz planet have it. I have noticed over the decadez in many human livez like yourz, itz juz a spark tht yall plant even for your seedz 2 florish wit self knowledge

16. 7lilwhitewolf7

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    T.i.m.e. = the inner mindz eye

Thiz level iz buried on another planet in seven galaxyz away.
    A shame you two have 2 beat around the bush, cut cornerz wit language lazynezz. I am a puzzle like your Earthly mathematicz. Sum get it 7 add it 2 thier spicez of life while there are those bent on overstanding with a very familiar rage 7 unhuman curiosity my kind haz bn almost exterminated by because of.

4rm Queenz 2 Lordz i am only a knight in n.e. kingdom 2 evolve 7 turn the page to build 7 fly a kite 4 all our Children tht posses the glowing spark of awsomenezz. Close your eyez 7 you shall see a feeling masterfully construckted. "it" iz there 4 you to hear or speak or write poetry that will fill mindz aswell az fill bookshelvez on other planetz eternally.

17. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    and 7lilwhitewolf7 brings it one more time from the top drawer. If I were to try that in my neighbourhood heaven knows how it would go down.
    Have a great weekend, all.
    World Cup and VVVVVV for me.

18. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    You should write a book. I'd buy it 4 sure 7 ty.

19. 7lilwhitewolf7

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    ThnX 4 th encouragement m'Lord. I have tried my sword 7 sheild @ short storiez tho. I juz might do tht. I will start by gettin all my poemz 2gether 2 release tha kraken.
    :mad::cool: