Battle for Wesnoth vs War of Eustrath; Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ChrisL, Jun 28, 2010.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Battle for Wesnoth

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. War of Eustrath

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Well, I was looking to get a nice strategy game for my iPad and came across Battle for Wesnoth and War of Eustrath. They both look amazing and I'd love to get both, but they are a little pricey and I most likely won't need to get both at first (since I probably won't play both simultaneously). So my question is, which do you prefer, and why? Also, if you have had time to play them both, what are some differences that really separate them from one another? And if you don't want to answer, vote in the poll :p

2. Kyle Poole

Kyle Poole Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Get Eustrath first, then after you have beaten it, get Wesnoth and enjoy playing all the campaigns for the rest of your life :D

3. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Battle for Wesnoth is great. It's definitely worth the 5 bucks, but if you are tight on cash, wait a little-it often goes on sale for a buck

4. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    I think I have put 60 hours into it already. Great job, man

5. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Yea I don't have an ipad but BfoW is a great game. I've put tons of hrs I to it. I've beaten maybe 3 working on 4 campaigns so it's a great game. You can also play online which I haven't tried and sync saves with pc

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The War of Eustrath is pretty different from the Battle for Wesnoth, even though they seem similar at first glance. WoE is very much a SRPG, with a stronger focus on story and a specific set of characters. BfW is more of a strategy game with RPG elements; the focus is on conquering territory, managing resources, and building up your forces. Which one you prefer has more to do with your particular taste than the quality of either game.

It should be noted that, as Kyle Poole alludes, BfW is an ever expanding game with multiple campaigns, WoE is nothing to sneeze at, game-length wise; I'm about 15 hours into it and nowhere near the end of the main campaign. Personally, I find the combat and leveling in WoE to be more entertaining than BfW, but then again I'm not a big fan of pure strategy games.

In any event, you're talking about two of the best games available in the App Store, so it's really tough to go wrong either way.

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Thanks a lot guys!

8. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, I haven't played Eustrath, not having an iPad, but I can only join the choir re: Battle for Wesnoth, it is a great TBS with ton of varied content with light story and RPG elements.